Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll give you all a few guesses how I'll be using this new gadget... smart outlet connected through Wifi. 😊

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Check the current rating on that remote plug before you use it with a block heater. A lot of them are only rated 3-5A. The better ones will run a full 15A.

EDIT: Looks like that one is rated 15A/1500W should be good to go!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I'll give you all a few guesses how I'll be using this new gadget... smart outlet connected through Wifi. 😊
I have several of those to control with Alexa...one of which I use to start the block heater on the tractor.

“Alexa, turn on the tractor heater for one hour”.
Good idea Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
The latest generaton of smart plugs is really good. I chose TP-Link (KASA App) rather than Wemo, but they should be similar. If you don't trust voice assistants, it's easy to control them directly through the app. The caution about amp ratings is good -- go for the full 15A, since the savings for lower specs are minimal.

I now have 15 plugs and nine switches (thanks to my wife's Christmas addiction). Now, it's simply "Christmas On" and Christmas Off" instead of a whole-house adventure. There's also a storage light we tend to forget about, so it now automatically turns off after two hours. For three-way switches though, I'm waiting for prices to come down.

By the time I begin losing my memory, I plan for the my smart home to take up the slack.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The latest generaton of smart plugs is really good. I chose TP-Link (KASA App) rather than Wemo, but they should be similar. If you don't trust voice assistants, it's easy to control them directly through the app. The caution about amp ratings is good -- go for the full 15A, since the savings for lower specs are minimal.

I now have 15 plugs and nine switches (thanks to my wife's Christmas addiction). Now, it's simply "Christmas On" and Christmas Off" instead of a whole-house adventure. There's also a storage light we tend to forget about, so it now automatically turns off after two hours. For three-way switches though, I'm waiting for prices to come down.

By the time I begin losing my memory, I plan for the my smart home to take up the slack.
When Amazon introduced their line of Alexa-compatible plugs, they sold them for awhile at $15 apiece. I bought several. As I was reviewing my wireless router distribution the other day, I was reminded that I have a huge number of wireless plugs and switched around here.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have several of those to control with Alexa...one of which I use to start the block heater on the tractor.

“Alexa, turn on the tractor heater for one hour”.
Hahaha... yes sir, i will be using this for my block heater!

I am pretty thrilled.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the current rating on that remote plug before you use it with a block heater. A lot of them are only rated 3-5A. The better ones will run a full 15A.

EDIT: Looks like that one is rated 15A/1500W should be good to go!
Already thought of that, it's rated for a full 15amps. 🙂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts