Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
WOW!!

First thing - I am NOT AT ALL SURPRISED that you did the right thing, Tim!! :bigthumb: You are that kind of guy. And, I think that most of us on this board would have done the right thing.

Next, it's sad that the auction house and the selling organization were apparently ready to work with you until the lawyers got involved. Very sad!! Can/will the dealership do anything to work with you on this? I'd think that they've already gotten something from their insurance company. Maybe their insurance company can work something out with you.

What about your own homeowner's insurance? It's been years since any of my business law classes pertaining to conveyable title, ownership rights, etc., but you essentially bought something that you had a reasonable right to assume had clear title and now it's been basically "stolen" from you.

Hopefully the perp ends up in jail for a long while for this one! But, probably not. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I can't like that, Tim! You should be proud you aren't the kind of person who would keep the tractor without reporting it. I know your character is a big part of your YouTube popularity.

I hope you get some compensation and that the Ruruitans step up and do the right thing. I guess if they don't, Katriel's monthly implement allowance will have to suffer. :dunno: :laugh:

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
i watched ur video-and i think i would of been to excited to realize why i got this tractor so cheap.

but then as u said looking farther u seen why:banghead: i know u would give it back, reported it and all. good for u.

·
Registered
540 Posts
This is NOT misleading click-bait (unfortunately).
Details here:
You've obviously done a lot of homework, so this may redundant, BUT a formal complaint against the auctioneer through your state's Attorney General should be much faster and cheaper than a formal lawsuit. Once the stage is set to show the likely outcome of a legal proceeding, you have a lot more leverage to force negotiations for an equitable settlement (or at least arbitration). I found this link:

PLA: File a Complaint
To file a complaint with the Indiana Attorney General click here for the form.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caveat emptor
ca·ve·at emp·tor
ˌkavēˌät ˈem(p)ˌtôr/Submit
noun
the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

I agree. However, I am not complaining about the quality and suitability of the good.
They SAID they were selling me something. Turns out, they had nothing to sell.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sooooo close to having Tim join us in the MCUT threads. Juuuuuuust kidding. Go get’m Tim.

·
Registered
21,442 Posts
ca·ve·at emp·tor
ˌkavēˌät ˈem(p)ˌtôr/Submit
noun
the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

I agree. However, I am not complaining about the quality and suitability of the good.
They SAID they were selling me something. Turns out, they had nothing to sell.
That’s true - and I feel for your situation.

But everyone with cell phones and internet access in their pockets to me it would be easy to make a quick phone call to your favorite dealer and have them run the serial number before even bidding.

I know....I know....too little too late - and it’s easy for me to say this after the fact.

Many years ago my then regular dealer came to my place to look at a tractor that I wanted to trade in. This was before cell phones were common. The first thing he did was spot the serial number and write it down. After looking at the tractor he said he would call the next day with the offer.

He knew what he would offer right there - what he needed to do before anything was to check the serial number back at the office to see if it was stolen.

So this has always stuck in my mind and always look at serial numbers. I really don’t care about what year it was built.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,196 Posts
Been waiting to see what happened with that tractor episode. Couldn't like your post and video but I did hit the "Thanks" button. Don't know how this will all work out but you do have some things going for you. You have a "you tube" channel with a lot of followers. All that bad advertising might make the said lawyers and the auction club think over their options. Maybe even the TV station needs an update along with the local paper. I wish you luck and sorry this happened.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
You did the right thing, Tim, as I would expect that you and most others on here would. This reminds me of a quote I read this past week: "The truth of the matter is, you know the right thing to do. The hard part is to do it." GEN Norman Schwarzkopf

·
Registered
589 Posts
Let’s just hope this outstanding citizen of Rinard Illinois gets some jail time. “He stole a John Deere Tractor for heavens sake!”

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Incredible Tim, just incredible. You did the right thing and you know it will work out one way or the other. I suspect if the auction folks don't settle this with you their reputation going forward will be significantly tainted. If they don't do their job to ensure free and clear title . . . who would want to buy from them?

·
Registered
589 Posts
$2500 Bond? The honorable judge had to know the crook had at least $14,000.00. The girlfriend would’ve had no problem bailing him out.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts