Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Always been more of a dog person...:lol:

I found this thing a few months ago when we moved the cows out to the lease, but didn't think much about it. Abandoned on the only flat spot on the side of a mountain, the cows aren't up there so I didn't spend much time around it. When we went out a few weeks ago, I made a point of riding back out and taking a closer look at this thing. I've always like stuff with tracks, especially small stuff. I had a Case/ Davis trencher with steel tracks for a while, and always wanted a Struck/ Magnatrack. They're basically garden tractor size machines, but with tracks. I just think they're neat, and since deciding the F932 lawnmower project was too much trouble...something more than three times the size in much worse condition only makes sense as the next project. :flag_of_truce:

IMG_3686.JPG

It's a 1937 Caterpillar model Twenty Two. It's a four cylinder hand crank engine, originally designed to start on gasoline and once warmed up switch to 'tractor fuel' which would be similar to kerosene or diesel. General consensus is that today, trying to run one on diesel is more trouble than it's worth and the best way to go is to run it on 100% gasoline. there were aftermarket electric starters available in the 30s and 40s for them, but they're hard to find today and difficult to piece together without having a custom ring gear made for the flywheel. The landowner is out of state, so it took some time to track him down and work out a deal. It was there when he bought the property several years ago, and there it still is. At this point I still didn't know much about the mechanical condition, when I looked at it I didn't even get off the horse. I went out there again to try and see what I was getting into without tearing into it too much. I was able to get to it in the two wheel drive, but it was tricky.

IMG_3821.JPG

The seat is gone, the engine is seized, the PTO lever is seized, exhaust stack is missing, exhaust manifold is broken, and radiator completely empty. Despite all that I still bought it. The levers all move, the clutch pedal moves, I soaked the tracks with a few cans of penetrating oil and tugged on it with the truck to see if it would roll. It would not.

IMG_3833.JPG
IMG_3834.JPG
IMG_3837.JPG

So, with the tracks soaking I left and began doing research and planning the recovery. :munch:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So today I set off to try and bring it home. It hadn't rolled when I tried before, so I went expecting the worst. I carried everything I thought I might need, including boards and pipe in case I had to roll it.

This was the best section of road once I turned off the pavement.

I chocked the wheels, dropped the ramps and hooked onto it.

Then I winched the truck and trailer back up underneath it. This thing was not going to roll easily.

I had thought that might happen, so I tried releasing the steering clutches. On these machines the steer clutches and steer brakes are controlled separately. When you pull back on a steer lever, that disengages the track on that side and allows it to free wheel. Pull back on both, and the tracks are disengaged from the transmission.

https://vimeo.com/183134344

For reference, the roof of the house in the back of the video is on another mountain about two miles away. My little winch performed admirably. I'd hate it if it gave up and died right now, but couldn't complain. That winch doesn't owe me a thing, it's paid for itself time and time again.

Got everything secured and headed home. Got a couple of waves and thumbs up on the highway coming through town.

Aside from the problems listed earlier, there is also an issue in the transmission or driveline somewhere. With it in neutral, it should roll even with the steering clutches engaged but it doesn't. It's possible, though unlikely that issue is also what's holding the engine from turning over. I blocked the clutch pedal down and it still won't turn over, so either the clutch is stuck, the engine is stuck, or probably both. The radiator support has been cut on and has a large chunk busted out of it as well.

I found a guy in Riverton that has three of these for sale. Two run, one has a dozer blade. He also claims to have a ton of spare parts including a freshly rebuilt engine on a stand. Once I get a few other things finished and can really get after this, I may check in with him. I also found a guy another guy just over the mountains in Laramie that has a couple of these and a bunch of parts also.

Once I get it off the trailer I want to get the cylinders soaking in penetrant, then probably just let it sit until I can get the roller and the 650 done. The 22 is going to be a slow project I believe.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
56 fordguy--so ur attracted to CATS-huh:lol: nice find-hope u the best.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
56 fordguy--so ur attracted to CATS-huh:lol: nice find-hope u the best.
Never really been a Cat guy, but this one is a good size. It weighs 6,000-6,500 lbs so it's easy to move with a pickup and should fit into one side of the garage to work on it. Parts aren't so big that you need a hoist to handle them, unlike a lot of tracked equipment. It's big enough that it could handle a decent sized pull type implement, so I could use it to actually get something done unlike a smaller garden tractor sized crawler. Those are fun, but wouldn't be practical for me. This one won't be super practical, but it could handle the roller I'm building or a pull type road grader.

I hope I can get it running and functional, but we'll have to see what happens as I get further into it. With a seized engine and a transmission problem, I really don't know what part of this machine you could consider 'good'.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,192 Posts
It looks and sounds like you have your work cut out for you on this. Good luck with it and I hope you find less things wrong with it then you think. :bigthumb:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,404 Posts
Good luck to ya 56FG, you dang sure going to need it. :good2:
One heck of a project, but I like dozers.

Had a chance to buy an old D-2 many moons ago from a farmer friend, had a pony gasoline engine to start the diesel.
The pony engine even had an electric start, not the hand crank.
Had a blade, still ran, pretty good overall condition.
I let it slip by because I was too busy at work, dumba$$, dumba$$, dumba$$!!!:banghead:

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Always been more of a dog person...:lol:

I found this thing a few months ago when we moved the cows out to the lease, but didn't think much about it. Abandoned on the only flat spot on the side of a mountain, the cows aren't up there so I didn't spend much time around it. When we went out a few weeks ago, I made a point of riding back out and taking a closer look at this thing. I've always like stuff with tracks, especially small stuff. I had a Case/ Davis trencher with steel tracks for a while, and always wanted a Struck/ Magnatrack. They're basically garden tractor size machines, but with tracks. I just think they're neat, and since deciding the F932 lawnmower project was too much trouble...something more than three times the size in much worse condition only makes sense as the next project. :flag_of_truce:

View attachment 239746

It's a 1937 Caterpillar model Twenty Two. It's a four cylinder hand crank engine, originally designed to start on gasoline and once warmed up switch to 'tractor fuel' which would be similar to kerosene or diesel. General consensus is that today, trying to run one on diesel is more trouble than it's worth and the best way to go is to run it on 100% gasoline. there were aftermarket electric starters available in the 30s and 40s for them, but they're hard to find today and difficult to piece together without having a custom ring gear made for the flywheel. The landowner is out of state, so it took some time to track him down and work out a deal. It was there when he bought the property several years ago, and there it still is. At this point I still didn't know much about the mechanical condition, when I looked at it I didn't even get off the horse. I went out there again to try and see what I was getting into without tearing into it too much. I was able to get to it in the two wheel drive, but it was tricky.

The seat is gone, the engine is seized, the PTO lever is seized, exhaust stack is missing, exhaust manifold is broken, and radiator completely empty. Despite all that I still bought it. The levers all move, the clutch pedal moves, I soaked the tracks with a few cans of penetrating oil and tugged on it with the truck to see if it would roll. It would not.

So, with the tracks soaking I left and began doing research and planning the recovery. :munch:

You would have been better off with a dog.:gizmo:

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting up there was better than I thought it might be, but still kind of nasty. Soft, sandy soil followed by rocks larger than a basketball. :pickup:

Right now I make no guarantee of how this will end. While I would love to rebuild it, if I find a catastrophic problem it may have to live on as parts for other machines.

Of course, I don't yet count the facts that the engine and transmission are locked us as catastrophic enough to condemn it, so who knows what would. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I know where there is a land plane being built that would be a perfect match for the CAT,,,
heck, the land plane even has CAT blades in it!! :laugh:

The race is on,,, which will happen first,,, :dunno:

a) the CAT runs under its own power?

or

b) the land plane moves gravel?

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know where there is a land plane being built that would be a perfect match for the CAT,,,
heck, the land plane even has CAT blades in it!! :laugh:

The race is on,,, which will happen first,,, :dunno:

a) the CAT runs under its own power?

or

b) the land plane moves gravel?
I'd put my money on the land plane. :laugh: :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's some project you have there.. Good luck with it.

If stated a project I don't know if I would live long enough to finish it.:laugh:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
That looks like quite the project. I bought a Struck MD750, pretty cool.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
I though I had a cool project, but that's right up there!
Cool find & project!

Sent using the space-time continuum.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I pulled the plugs, cylinders are soaking in Kroil. Had to let one plug soak before it would come out.

Managed to get the PTO lever free, that released something else in the drivetrain and let it start rolling with the steer clutches engaged.

https://vimeo.com/183159220

Sorry about my hand in the corner, it was that or the sun glare washed everything out. :flag_of_truce:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,404 Posts
Man I'm really hoping the Kroil lets you spin it with the crank in a couple of days.
Come on Kroil.:lol:

1 - 20 of 148 Posts