Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so those of us here on GTT often are wandering around the John Deere Parts book, trying to find various things, often for others. One of the threads on here this AM was about a 1st generation 2025r and PTO problems and the way the dealer resolved the problem. The OP posted that the "PTO Linkage" was out of adjustment and the dealer solved his problem which was great to hear.....

So, I thought, just out of curiosity, I would look up the "PTO Lever and linkage" and see if I could confirm what the OP was talking about, not that I questioned his comment or the reported solution to his machines issues, but more just to see how the linkage is adjustable for my own knowledge.

In my search for the PTO linkage rod, I went into the Operator Station section of the 1st Generation 2025r catalog and I ran across the following.....a screen shot is posted below.

Road Kit, Homologation. See, even the word isn't in the GTT dictionary..... :D But it gets even more absurd. Look at what the "Kit" is comprised of and look at its COST......$434.39 for a REAR VIEW MIRROR?

That's what I mean by "We have a Winner". I have often found Deere names things in strange and often challenging ways, but who on EARTH would think, I need to look up the "Road Homologation Kit" if they were interested in adding a mirror? And you have to wonder how many of these they sell. Yes, this is the American tractor parts book, note in the upper right of the screenshot......

For those curious, here is the Webster's Dictionary definition of Homologation........

"To sanction or Allow, often officially".

Apparently, if you want to drive your tractor on the road, you need the Road Homologation Kit to do so officially. Looks like GTT needs to update their dictionary.....;)

Do you have any other examples of bizarre and usual "terminology" used by Deere for their various tractor parts? If so, add them to this thread.

As far as having a thread of excessively priced replacement parts, we could just list the entire Deere parts catalog as an example....:LOL:o_O(y)

Screenshot_2020-11-20 John Deere Parts Catalog.png

·
Super Moderator
3,146 Posts
I thought I seen something recently that those 'homologations' kits are required in some places in Europe and/or Australia.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
515 Posts
That makes my 2 mirrors I bought on Amazon for <$30 for both shipped to my door look like an even bigger bargain! I mounted mine in the holes on top of the loader masts.

·
Premium Member
14,646 Posts
Some of JD's pricing is so far out of bounds it sick. $434.39 for a mirror????
For $12 and a piece of 5/16" x 1" flat stock I had laying around I had a mirror, 10 minute project, then I took it back off after fitment and painted it JD green.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mother Deere is mighty proud of some parts.

I always love the standard answer when asking the parts guy how does it cost, "How do you have"?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
SB,
Are you sure you weren't looking at the GSA catalog ???

·
Super Moderator
3,146 Posts
Yes, this is the American tractor parts book, note in the upper right of the screenshot......
Not to burst the bubble, but that's the 'Worldwide Edition' catalog, not just North America, which is part of the reason I said "I thought I seen something recently that those 'homologations' kits are required in some places in Europe and/or Australia.".

All due respect included.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
At cost like that, It's a wonder that a bare stock 1025r doesnt cost $357,000.00 before taxes, fees, dealer setup, delivery.........
DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!!!!! THEY WILL FIND A WAY!!! Remember beancounters.... and no, not the Jolly Green Giant kind.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
In respect of using the word ‘homologation’ in the parts description, I’m guessing it’s because so many people are adding aftermarket mirrors to their equipment that Deere decided to get in on the action. It makes the mirror an oem part. Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to burst the bubble, but that's the 'Worldwide Edition' catalog, not just North America, which is part of the reason I said "I thought I seen something recently that those 'homologations' kits are required in some places in Europe and/or Australia.".

All due respect included.
But it's also the right catalog for the tractors in North America (didn't want our friends in the great White North to feel left out) so it's not just a "European Part, etc." The part is available through my selected dealer and priced, where those parts just for Europe or overseas often are not. I know this might surprise some, but the dealer group I deal with doesn't have that part number in stock in any of their 17 stores......:D

All due respect EXPECTED and accepted....... ;)

Super Kyle, I am going to be traveling part of your daily drive tomorrow AM early....At least the part where you travel from your access to the Interstate until you exit and head south, where I will be heading north. Going to be picking up some new JD "goodies", and pulling a trailer to do so...........the plot thickens.......

And no, I am not going to pick up a Homologation Kit.........I also want to stress that I didn't highlight this part due to it's specific name nor was I trying to make any type of statement regarding its name. I was simply pointing out that consistent with John Deere's habit of naming different things names which most tractor users wouldn't think to call the part.

For example, the plow edge on the 54" John Deere plow is the "Strap". I looked for that one for some time the very first time, many years ago.

Many years ago, I worked for a couple of years as a Parts and then the Parts and Service Manager for a AMC, Jeep and Renault dealership. All of the Jeep parts were fairly straight forward and this was back when the Grand Wagoneer was their big Luxury Vehicle and the CJ 7 had only been out a couple of years. But dealing with Renault was an entirely different matter. We had the LeCar, which was very popular with foreign college students and we also had a number of foreign college students who attended a Seventh Day Adventist College and several of them had brought their Renault models to the U.S. with them.

All of the Renault parts were on Microfiche at the time, where the Jeep and AMC parts were in the big spiral bound books which were often updated and the binders had steel rods in the pages hole punched to keep them in the book. All of the microfiche were written in French so I had to have a French to English translation book and it was a total pain to find anything when searching for it. Add in many of the students did not speak English as their primary language, it was always an interesting experience to order Renault parts for them.

By comparison, the John Deere parts system is super easy to use and much easier to find, so I guess those years of "practice" did prove helpful in their own way.............(y)

·
Registered
631 Posts
...Apparently, if you want to drive your tractor on the road, you need the Road Homologation Kit to do so officially. Looks like GTT needs to update their dictionary...
In JD terms, the official definition for Homoligation is: "When we charge a customer $435 for a $5 part made in Chinah, the customer's wallet gets homoligated into our profit margin.".

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The first instance I encountered the term "homologation" was in NASCAR, back in 1969. It was the homologation rule. It was to prevent the factory from creating 1 of 10 race winners for their factory teams, a homologation of a production vehicle. In 1969, they required a minimum of 500 units of pretty much an exact reproduction of what they desired to race be sold to the general public first. Dodge first did this with their Charger 500, which had a blunted out grille and a body plug that dropped over the rear window sills to make it a fastback, later in the rear came the Daytona Charger, depicted in my avatar. Ford had the Torino Talladega that also had a blunted out front end and a special roll on the rocker panels, to allow the production vehicle to be lowered. NASCAR bumped the minimum production run to 2500 units for 1970. Plymouth returned with the Superbird. Ford had built a limited number of prototypes, the Super Cobra, but abruptly discontinued factory sponsoring and with that, any thoughts of the limited 2500 unit production run of the Super Cobra.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mother Deere is mighty proud of some parts.

I always love the standard answer when asking the parts guy how does it cost, "How do you have"?

Need to fix type:

I always love the standard answer when asking the parts guy how does it cost, "How much do you have"?
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Don’t forget the cost of the homologation process itself which is not cheap. That cost then needs to be recovered in the price of the kit. Some of these kits are very low volume but required to sell in that country. If the homologation cost $25k and you sell 200 units, well, you do the math.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts