Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMG_0338.jpg

We brought home the tractor Saturday morning. It's a 2014 with a loader and 60" mower deck. Has just over 150 hours on it. Looks like the loader was hardly used. We're pretty excited about this purchase and hope to find a nice used tiller and box scraper before spring time. The salesman said the previous owner trader it for a 2032r and mainly just used the tractor for mowing.

Not sure why the picture is displaying sideways. It's not in the file I picked.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Nothing like a good used tractor find.....:greentractorride:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I'll need to add that to my list of things to buy.
If you hang out with this group, your "list of things to buy" is going to get longer and longer and.... Just ask me how I know!! :gizmo:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Are you planning on doing snow removal with the new tractor or do you have another piece of equipment to do that?

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
Congratulations on your tractor purchase. Also, welcome to the GTT family....

There are tons of valuable threads about all sorts of issues for your new machine. From the differences in implements to what works best for some and not so for others, there is a wealth of information on this site. There are also many nice and very helpful people.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or seek input or opinions. Also, up in the right corner of each page is the Google Search bar and under neath it is the "Advanced Search" button. Here you can launch the searches for information or details which you may like to learn more about.

You can search by key word, topic, all sorts of options. If you find a particular persons posts to be helpful you can search to sort their posts. This site has many ways to find the details you are seeking.

While we hope you have a good relationship with your dealer, there are many great vendors here on GTT and many offer special discounts to GTT members. Please make sure to check out their section here on GTT as well.

Welcome to GTT. You are going to enjoy your time here. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
It appears you have a 7' overhead door. While becoming a club member is typically viewed as a good thing, you definitely do not want to become a member of the GTT "club". Becoming a member in good standing is quite easy. All you have to do is forget to lower the top section of the ROPS before entering or exiting your garage.

Most members join within a day or two taking delivery of their green machine........

Well, at least you won't become a broke purple heart member. You have to own a 2018 with the forward tilting ROPS top section to earn that distinction. They get to frequently bang their head into the ROPS top section when folded down to the horizontal storage position and get to replace 3-point top links. Some guys just have it all.

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
If you hang out with this group, your "list of things to buy" is going to get longer and longer and.... Just ask me how I know!! :gizmo:

Are you planning on doing snow removal with the new tractor or do you have another piece of equipment to do that?
We are a great spender of other peoples money, right Mark? :good2:Seriously, Mark02tj is about as good a guy as you can hope to meet on this or any other site. :thumbup1gif:

It's a great way to live vicariously through others and assist them in spending their money.

:lol:

Now is the time to be looking for the tiller and other equipment people might be storing for the season. Make sure you are familiar with the Category 1 3 point hitch so when you are considering implements, you can screen out those which might not be best for your use. Also, the tillers have forward rotation and reverse rotation so if you haven't owned a tiller before, make sure to consider the differences and the different models. There are many good choices out there for you,

When it comes to back blade and box blades, much will depend upon the projects or tasks you have in mind.

Since you are going to be adding 3 point implements, make sure to get this item as it makes a ton of difference in connecting and disconnecting all 3 point implements. The extended hook, whether for the I match or the Import quick hitch makes a lot of difference in connecting and disconnecting all 3 point implements. Definitely something you will want to have.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

We haven't got much snow down here the last few years. I think I've shoveled the sidewalk once in three years. However if we do I'll be using this tractor to remove it. We live out in the country with a lot of flat fields around us so do get the wind and drifting.

I see you're from South West Ohio. You're not to far from us. We're about 1.5 hours to a Reds ballgame.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Aaaaahhh yes spending OP $$$$$$$

Add to list.....kens bolt on hooks:bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts
Congratulations Mote. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: greenharley

·
Premium Member
14,923 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb:

Reactions: greenharley

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
We haven't got much snow down here the last few years. I think I've shoveled the sidewalk once in three years. However if we do I'll be using this tractor to remove it. We live out in the country with a lot of flat fields around us so do get the wind and drifting.

I see you're from South West Ohio. You're not to far from us. We're about 1.5 hours to a Reds ballgame.
I Googled your town earlier. You're about 2 hours SW of me. I'm just South of Dayton. I love those small Indiana towns!! They're so picturesque! The main square with the courthouse and a few blocks of a "downtown". Ohio has it's share of small towns too, but many of them aren't the County Seats so no courthouse, so main square, etc. I used to do quite a bit of work up in Rockville - west of Indy. Drove through a lot of those small towns to get there.

We haven't gotten much snow lately either. Since I'm trying to spend your money on a ballast box, let me try to save you a bit of money for snow removal. You'll see a LOT of posts this time of year with guys and their blades and blowers. I'd recommend saving your money - at least for the first season you own a tractor with a front loader - and do the "pipe on the edge" thing. I used 1.5" ABS pipe with a slit cut in it by my circular saw. I hammered the pipe on the cutting edge with a rubber hammer (available from WalMart or Harbor Freight). You set that pipe down on your concrete or blacktop and it does a good job getting rid of the snow without messing up your driveway surface. Depending on your surface and how much snow you get, you will have to replace the pipe after each couple of uses.

Pic below of the pipe on the cutting edge, followed by a pic showing my concreted areas after using the pipe on the bucket.
aaaa1.jpg

aaaab.jpg

By the way, WELCOME to GTT!! :good2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I Googled your town earlier. You're about 2 hours SW of me. I'm just South of Dayton. I love those small Indiana towns!! They're so picturesque! The main square with the courthouse and a few blocks of a "downtown". Ohio has it's share of small towns too, but many of them aren't the County Seats so no courthouse, so main square, etc. I used to do quite a bit of work up in Rockville - west of Indy. Drove through a lot of those small towns to get there.

We haven't gotten much snow lately either. Since I'm trying to spend your money on a ballast box, let me try to save you a bit of money for snow removal. You'll see a LOT of posts this time of year with guys and their blades and blowers. I'd recommend saving your money - at least for the first season you own a tractor with a front loader - and do the "pipe on the edge" thing. I used 1.5" ABS pipe with a slit cut in it by my circular saw. I hammered the pipe on the cutting edge with a rubber hammer (available from WalMart or Harbor Freight). You set that pipe down on your concrete or blacktop and it does a good job getting rid of the snow without messing up your driveway surface. Depending on your surface and how much snow you get, you will have to replace the pipe after each couple of uses.

Pic below of the pipe on the cutting edge, followed by a pic showing my concreted areas after using the pipe on the bucket.
View attachment 660028

View attachment 660030

By the way, WELCOME to GTT!! :good2:
Thanks for the suggestion of the pipe. We have a gravel drive. I wonder if that would help the loader not dig into the gravel. My plan is just go slow and learn to get the feel of the loader.

I'll also be teaching my wife to use the tractor for mowing and landscaping around the house. Since the kids are out of college and on their own she's back to being a happy homemaker. She loves to mow and landscape so she'll probably put more hours on the tractor than I will.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion of the pipe. We have a gravel drive. I wonder if that would help the loader not dig into the gravel. My plan is just go slow and learn to get the feel of the loader.

I'll also be teaching my wife to use the tractor for mowing and landscaping around the house. Since the kids are out of college and on their own she's back to being a happy homemaker. She loves to mow and landscape so she'll probably put more hours on the tractor than I will.
Congratulations on your purchase! If the pipe (awesome idea by the way.. never thought of that) doesn't work, there's a product called "Edge Tamers" which might help you. I don't remember if you said you had equipment before or what not, but you'll be surprised what this little beast can do when it comes time to work it. On the other hand, you'll also see how quickly you can get into trouble if you're not careful.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Welcome from Moline Illinois enjoy your tractor and be safe:good2::good2:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

The pipe will work on a gravel driveway, but you probably want to go to a slightly bigger diameter. If you look back at the second picture that I posted, the "cleared area" is a concrete pad in front of the garage - cleared with the bucket on the FEL. If you look at the bottom of the picture, you'll see a windrow of snow... that's the gravel driveway that I somewhat cleared with the rear blade. A close look at the rear blade will show a 3" diameter pipe on the bottom of the rear blade.

BUT... with all that being said, Etkini gave the excellent suggestion of "Edge Tamers". These are made in the US by a small company that is a vendor/sponsor here on GTT. These are THE way to go for gravel driveways. Easy to put on and take off. Some guys on here have even used them to help pick up leaves on their grass/lawn. Other guys use them to clear paths through the snow to make it easier for their pets to get out to do their business. If my driveway was still gravel, that's the way I'd go (I had mine paved about 2 months ago). Roughly $100 for a pair of them and you're good to go!!

Based on where you're at, I wouldn't spend a ton of money on snow removal implements for your tractor. The pics that I posted were from 2013. For the past two years, we haven't gotten enough snow for me to even use the tractor once during the season. I think you're probably in the same "weather zone" that we're in... too far North to get hit with the snow systems that move up from the South, through KY - and too far South to get hit with the systems that come from the West. For us, the systems that come up from the South seem to hit Cincinnati and then move East and then miss us. The systems that come from the West seem to follow I-70. So they come across, hit Indy, and then move East along the interstate and hit Columbus, OH. It's been many years since we've been blasted with more than a few inches of snow.

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts

Very dangerous territory you are entering there, my friend. Just be aware up front that this often results in "additional tractors" and "dedicated pieces of equipment" for such projects as mowing, etc.

Then, the Gator will follow and pretty soon, you will have to reserve a time slot to get any seat time on the equipment........Many posts about this as well on this website........Many a good intention-ed man on GTT ended up standing and watching their wives or better halves operating the equipment.

Some, in fact, have made an art of it and even have chairs on their porches with coolers next to the chairs and the cooler is filled with their favorite libation on ice when they get home and their tractor is in use by their better half.........Just be careful or soon, she will be teaching you operating skills on the tractor........:laugh:

Seriously, though, be very careful and go very slow when using the loader for snow removal tasks, as its very difficult to see obstructions and uneven surfaces and the loader will either "level" the un-level or come to a very violent and abrupt stop or even both. Slow and steady is the safest plan as the loader won't "trip" like a snow plow when it encounters something, it will keep going and can cause some damage.

Make sure to put some rear ballast on the machine and also, NEVER carry the loader with any weight in it any higher than the hood height, and ideally even lower to the ground.

Always go slowly when the loader is in use and turn carefully.

The number one way to roll over these tractors is to;

A. have the front end loader with weight in it and it doesn't even need to be full

B. carrying it too high when the tractor is moving

C. being on some side hill or incline, even a seemingly mild one. It happens extremely quickly and you don't want to have this happen.

Don't think that by having rear ballast or even following the safety guides that you eliminate the danger risks of these machines. There is always risk of trouble and it's best you read about the experiences of others than have them yourself.

=============================================================================================

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
The pipe will work on a gravel driveway, but you probably want to go to a slightly bigger diameter. If you look back at the second picture that I posted, the "cleared area" is a concrete pad in front of the garage - cleared with the bucket on the FEL. If you look at the bottom of the picture, you'll see a windrow of snow... that's the gravel driveway that I somewhat cleared with the rear blade. A close look at the rear blade will show a 3" diameter pipe on the bottom of the rear blade.

BUT... with all that being said, Etkini gave the excellent suggestion of "Edge Tamers". These are made in the US by a small company that is a vendor/sponsor here on GTT. These are THE way to go for gravel driveways. Easy to put on and take off. Some guys on here have even used them to help pick up leaves on their grass/lawn. Other guys use them to clear paths through the snow to make it easier for their pets to get out to do their business. If my driveway was still gravel, that's the way I'd go (I had mine paved about 2 months ago). Roughly $100 for a pair of them and you're good to go!!

Based on where you're at, I wouldn't spend a ton of money on snow removal implements for your tractor. The pics that I posted were from 2013. For the past two years, we haven't gotten enough snow for me to even use the tractor once during the season. I think you're probably in the same "weather zone" that we're in... too far North to get hit with the snow systems that move up from the South, through KY - and too far South to get hit with the systems that come from the West. For us, the systems that come up from the South seem to hit Cincinnati and then move East and then miss us. The systems that come from the West seem to follow I-70. So they come across, hit Indy, and then move East along the interstate and hit Columbus, OH. It's been many years since we've been blasted with more than a few inches of snow.

Mark, there is plenty of snow in that photo for all of the pieces of snow removal equipment. When I read your post, I was expecting to see a couple of inches of snow. You even have some snow piles there......I think it's time for a whole series of implements and attachments for your machine, just in case. You need to start with a FEL mounted snow plow and a rear 3 point snow blower and then we can go from there. :gizmo::gizmo:

I would be glad to help you pick the items out........Anything to help.....:laugh::lol:

""Buy it and the snow will come......"" "Ease his pain"" You know, in The Field of Dreams when the corn field is talking to the farmer.......:laugh::lol:

I just read a real interesting story about the Field of Dreams movie site that I think you will enjoy. You have worked with a number of small and closely held companies as have I and know the complicating factors. Below are attachments to the story, but in summary, here is what's happened........

Turns out the people scouting for the movie location picked a specific area on the farm where they wanted to build the ball field for the movie and it actually involved property on two different farms. Both farmers agreed to the project and were excited to be part of the process.

The infield and part of right field was on one farm where the left and center field were on another neighbors farm. The field stayed in place for a year or so following the movie and then the farmer who owned the property where the left and center field were found plowed the field under and returned to corn. But the other farmer, the one with the house on the property, continued to have tourists and added a souvenir stand.

After seeing how well the other farmer was doing with the tourists, the farmer who had plowed his field under decided to restore the outfield and then opened a competing souvenir stand on their portion of the ball field. For a couple of decades, tourists continued to show up and the two farmers competed against one another. Then on the 20th or 25th anniversary, Kevin Costner and others held a big reunion charity game on the field and concerts and drew something like 10,000 or 12,000 people to the event.

Finally, a third party bought out both farmers and combined the property into one attraction and really worked to build on the tourism of the site, even after all of these years. They were holding special events, renting out the house in the movie for $2,800 per weekend, and many other actions to build the tourist business. Sadly, the woman behind all of this just passed away last month. But even after all of these years, the "Build it and they will come" is still drawing people in large numbers to see the ball field which began life as a movie prop.

Check this out, Mark, I think you will find it interesting. It's amazing how these two factions competed and worked against one another for so long and such things usually wreck the "business" yet this one has survived despite the best / worst efforts of some.

Field of Dreams Movie Site - Home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_Dreams_(Dubuque_County,_Iowa)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts