Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not even sure the term in my title is correct....

Found that I have a leaking front tire on my 11 year old 2520 (R4). After first checking the valve stem I sprayed soapy water all around the tire. This is what I found -

5FF073B7-616B-4659-A49B-40BD899805CC.jpg

F77B600D-5FEC-49A6-9CA3-C203E2C67D54.jpg

At first glance it didn’t appear to have any cracks in the sidewall until I looked closer. This is the other front tire that isn’t leaking - yet....

1FCBD4FD-CC53-4B87-AE3C-DE614F8AE8C1.jpg

099F8169-B74B-44B5-8E66-B4DA6F6E31B4.jpg

Since I have never dealt with something like this before I am going to take it to a tire shop next week when I go to town. Is this a candidate for a tube?

Also - as seen in the last 2 pics the other front tire looks the same but not leaking. Should I just go ahead and bring both tires to the shop now and get it over with? Once into the mowing season or other project I don’t want the tractor down. Only go to town once every other week.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
These are a candidate for tubes. See what new ones cost, I would rather see you with new ones but tubes will buy you a couple years. good luck..:good2::good2:

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why not? They may yet fail for some other reason but at least it won't be from constant air loss. There is certainly no realistic potential for harm.

Al
Never been in this situation before. I guess my actual question was to get tubes installed or just go for new tires.

Also cost is an issue. New tires are $93 each. If having tubes installed costs 1/2 or more than that I may just as well get new.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
caoltrain-when i showed my left rear tire doing that a couple yrs ago-i went with new tubes for then. they haven't leaked yet.

but i also slapped a set of new tires on front at the same time. i can't remember my price then:dunno:

93 bucks don't sound too bad-but is that the cost of changing the tire also?

tubes have sky rocketed in price since i had bought any yrs a go-i almost fell off my chair when i found out how much my rears was-but i could of went cheaper-but i wanted the 2 piece valve also.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,183 Posts
I'd buy new tires but I don't like tubes. I put tubes in my hand truck tires...lasted till I had to use it. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I would not have been too concerned if those leaks were in the tread. But those leaks are in the side walls and on the front to boot. Not sure how much tubes cost, but eventually your going to have to replace them. Tubes or not the grinding and the weight of the tractor is going to cause them to fail. If you use your FEL that will expedite your wear. Tubes if cheap enough will only buy you some time to save some money down the road.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Never been in this situation before. I guess my actual question was to get tubes installed or just go for new tires.

Also cost is an issue. New tires are $93 each. If having tubes installed costs 1/2 or more than that I may just as well get new.
coaltrain ~ I'm wondering 'why are the tires cracking and leaking?' . . . because they're 'aging out' I guess. Therefore, unless tubes are real cheap I'd go the 'new tire' route. Safer, less chance of breakdown during your 'mowing season' when you don't even want to deal with it.

Just my 2¢ . . . Let us know what you find out and decide . . .

·
Registered
11,895 Posts

Stan, there would nothing wrong with tubing those tires, probably last you a few more years at least, but for $93 each personally I'd go with new tires and be good for another 11 years.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I said to Mrs. C how appropriate the timing was - in between snow removal and mowing seasons.

While not critical I depend on my tractor on almost a daily basis. Don’t want to be going through this again when the tractor is needed. It’s not like I can jump in my truck and run down the road a couple miles to a tire shop.

I will have to check on the cost to install the tires when I go to town on Tuesday. If it’s the same as vehicle tires it will be $10 each.

Marlin - just old age I guess. The tractor is always kept under roof so it isn’t out in the sun except when working it.

I am leaning toward new tires now.....

·
Super Moderator
5,392 Posts
Stan, you had the term "weather checking" right. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=30

IMHO, don't bother with tubes. The integrity of the tire has deteriorated to the point the rubber cracks aren't just cosmetic. I'm guessing the other side of the tire doesn't look quite as bad, and maybe doesn't even leak.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
Thanks everyone. I said to Mrs. C how appropriate the timing was - in between snow removal and mowing seasons.

While not critical I depend on my tractor on almost a daily basis. Don’t want to be going through this again when the tractor is needed. It’s not like I can jump in my truck and run down the road a couple miles to a tire shop.

I will have to check on the cost to install the tires when I go to town on Tuesday. If it’s the same as vehicle tires it will be $10 each.

Marlin - just old age I guess. The tractor is always kept under roof so it isn’t out in the sun except when working it.

I am leaning toward new tires now.....
probably the best choice-IMO---but be aware the tire changers can bend the rims. make the fella be very, very careful-ok.

·
Registered
316 Posts
We've always referred to that as dry rot. A coat of silicone spray once or twice a year
will keep that from happening.

CT, what size are your tires?

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
We've always referred to that as dry rot. A coat of silicone spray once or twice a year

23x8.5-12 R4

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I use 303 on everything on my truck but never thought of using it on my tractor tires......never bothered with anything since it is stored under roof.

jgayman has the size right in his post above.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not going to go through my usual days and days of decision making this time.

Tires are ordered - will be in on Wednesday and will have them changed out on Thursday - have errands to run in town that day anyway including getting my truck inspected.

$93 per tire plus tax plus the $1 Pa tire tax puts me right around $100 each installed.

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
Not going to go through my usual days and days of decision making this time.

Tires are ordered - will be in on Wednesday and will have them changed out on Thursday - have errands to run in town that day anyway including getting my truck inspected.

$93 per tire plus tax plus the $1 Pa tire tax puts me right around $100 each installed.
That's a fair price, and a very good decision IMO :good2:

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a fair price, and a very good decision IMO :good2:
I really appreciate your and everyone’s advise. I get into a vortex in my mind a lot of times because of this #$$& brain fog - I depend on you guys to keep me straight.

I compared it to my truck - when something needs fixed it gets done right away and right the first time. My tractor is no different.

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
I really appreciate your and everyone’s advise. I get into a vortex in my mind a lot of times because of this #$$& brain fog - I depend on you guys to keep me straight.

I compared it to my truck - when something needs fixed it gets done right away and right the first time. My tractor is no different.
I sometimes have the same problem with over thinking things. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
glad you went new. The front tires get a lot of pressure with the FEL on it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts