Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess this will fit in the 'Off Topic"! I spend a lot of time on the 'net'! GTT & Others! I cannot get FIOS! I have Time-Warner as my Cable provider, and Verizon as my Land Line, and DSL for the 'puter'. I'm only 'moving' some 985Kb through the net. Besides that, my modem dumps like 3 times a day! (Westell 7500) Did some surfing, and find that they've not got a good track record. And, when it's running, I'm still under a meg.

Well long way to come for my question: The cable guy happened by today. Offered to take my Phone, Internet (@20Meg-WOW!) and TV, in a package for $30- less than what I'm paying for my combined (Different Carrier ) services. Any suggestions out there? TIA ~Scotty- Buffalo NY

·
Registered
446 Posts
In general I beleive cable internet access is faster than DSL.

I have my cable and internet though my cable company then have Vonage for my home phone which works off of my internet connection.

One thing that may matter to you, currently if your power goes out I bet your phone still works, but if you go to phone through Time-Warner it wont because it will go through your cable modem. So no power to your cable modem equals no phone.

Also depending on how it is wired your existing phone jacks will no longer work. They can be made to work if your cable modem is in your basement so you can take the existing phone wire where it comes into your house and reroute that to your cable modem. In my house we dont worry about that. We got a set of 4 wireless handsets that connect to one base station which is plugged into the cable modem.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I agree that typically cable is faster than DSL. I am in the IT business and DSL around here is typically rock solid and never a hiccup. Cable is something that requires "messing with" on occasion.

Something to keep in mind unless you download a lot of video, etc you probably wont notice much difference above 10 meg. As far as web surfing you wont see a difference in my opinion.

Bundling services usually will save you some money.

We have that here. Cable TV and 30 meg internet. We have gave up on home phones since cell has taken over.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
What speed are you paying for? I pay for 1.5 and get around 1.0 - 1.2. Some of your speed goes to overhead. WWW.speed test.net I'm a C.O.T. for Century Link the classic Bell company. Cable has issues with congestion due to network type. Around here people have slow speed at peak times. It's all about how big of a pipe the ISP has to network. Phone copper is smaller and can therefore handle less bandwidth. We use pair bonding to counter that. Then it comes down to distance to the provider. If your modem is dumping 3 Times a day you have a copper issue. Could be a modem, but odds are against that. You can get into you modem and see what's going on. Most default ips are 192.172.0.1 You can also check the firmware and see if it needs updated. Should be free from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Georgia Comcast user here, so YMMV.

I have TV, Internet and Phone bundled through Comcast. In my area cable internet is by far faster than DSL unless you are paying ridiculous money for a super DSL plan. I average 20 Mb down and 10 Mb up after the Speedboost thing they have drops off. My router handles the internet and phone. It has an internal battery that keeps it running during a power outage (and it is plugged in to a UPS as well). I unhooked AT&T at the box outside and I feed the home phone wiring right from the router. We have an ADT security system and it works fine over the phone line.

I used to be a DSL only guy, then I got a cable modem. I've never looked back. The price/bandwidth is unbeatable in my area.

I'm not affiliated with Comcast in any way, in fact the only complaint I have is the car payment that I send them every month for our service. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Scotty,

How long is that $30 less discount good for, forever, or 6 months? Make sure you read the fine print. Satellite TV looks good in my area, but the low price is only for the first 12 months. After that it ends up costing me more than my cable provider, so I just stay with cable for now.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK Guys------Gut Spilling time.......

I pay about $137- (Tax,tip,gratuity,and dealer prep, included) for my cable TV. That's with 2 sets, each with DVR's. My Phone & DSL From Verizon is about another $75.00. Full long distance, US and Canada, (Tax,tip,gratuity,and dealer prep, included) So I'm looking to go to their (TWC) 'Bundle' for under 200-. With more channels, 20 meg Internet, and a couple 'perks',i.e free Showtime for a year etc. I don't know, think I'm going to try it........Thanks for the feedback! ~Scotty

RRM- Yeah, I thought about 'dumping' land-line, as we also have Cell Phones! ~S

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
We just switched to the Xfinity HD Premier 3 way package.It'll be 159.00 for a year and then up to 169.00............so they say. If it's different,I'll threaten to leave and go back to Directv. usually,they give in. We were paying roughly 210.00/month for Directv (Total Choice,I think),basic Comcast for the internet (it's less money if you get a channel package rather than just internet) and Verizon for phone. Our internet was the 16mbps tier. It would boost to 24,but average D/L on a power server was around 1.9/2.2 meg/s. Upload was bad,maybe 3.5 at the most. Now it's the 50 mbps tier and it will boost to over 80 sometimes. Average D/L on same power server is around 6.2 meg/s now and upload is around 12. That along with alot of my types of channels (sports,military,outdoor) that we didn't get before makes this deal a really good one...........so far.:)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm also a Time Warner cable subscriber. I pay $160/mo. I have no HBO, SHO or any other crappy new age movie channels, it's expanded basic 2 DVR's. Added in to that bill is the $40 for my Road Runner cable service.

Our service pixilates and drops out when it: gets too cold, gets too rainy, gets too snowy, gets too hot. Wifey wants to chuck TWC and go satellite. I would gain just one channel that I would want, RFD Channel. We'd still have the "bad weather crazys" AND I'd still have to keep and pay for the Road Runner (there's nothing faster here, no FIOS). I could never go back to a slower internet provider. Right now I don't want the hassle of changing to programming that's the same as what I've got and still pay TWC for internet.

I just wish TWC had decent hardware as their DVR's boot whenever they want to or freeze so you have to boot them during a program or recording. Take the box back and they give you a new one that does the exact same thing. At least the office is 15 minutes away.:laugh:

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have the same set up as Kabic. My service provider is Mediacon and there service is as bad as you can get and when it goes down it takes 2-3 days to get it repaired not able to get DSL at my location.
But when it is running it is fast.

Doug

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I probably shouldn't admit this in public, but you may think that my wife and I live in the dark ages.:hide:

I had a disagreement with the local cable company about 25 years ago about installation costs, advertised prices ... long story, but we've survived without cable and just take TV over the air. We don't have kids in the house, and my wife and I try to not overwatch TV, so we're good. DSL for internet and we still maintain a land line, so our monthly bill is just over $60 and TV is free. DSL is a little slow by today's cable standards, but it sure beats dial-up. We miss a few of the educational and movie channels but we actually like spending time outside in the yard and riding around on our JD.

When I hear about monthly cable bills up around $130 - $160 per month, it kind of reminds me that not having cable is not that bad. If I need a bit faster download speed for some large files, I can so that at work after business hours, or just start it at home before bedtime. Most things like that I don't need right away.

I never figured out why cable services cost that much, and they get away with it.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Guys who can get cable and/or DSL are lucky. I live in a rural area and the cable service ends 3 miles from my house. There is no DSL service and the "new" broadband company in my area doesn't have a tower in range. My options are dial up or satellite. I started with dial up but quickly hated it. So back in 2009 I went with Hughesnet. Faster than dial up, but I got spoiled by my company's cable internet. No comparison and I have to upgrade to get more bandwidth limits. When you go over the FAP bandwidth usage, I was slowed down to even slower than dial up. Last April I had Wild Blue's Exede installed. It's faster at up to 12mbps (I averaged around 6-9 most of the time), but again the FAP limits are a hassle. I upgraded to 15gb a month, but still I go over (I think Wild Blue is padding the amount I used). I have a laptop from work and even the Exede isn't fast enough for the systems I need to get into. Also, that would mean even more of a risk of surpassing the 15gb limit (remember you get slowed down when you surpassed that limit). I would love to have other options, and cable is faster than DSL.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I cant get cable or DSL . Dail-up was too slow. I use now cellcom for voice & data. I got rid of my land line a year a go.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I probably shouldn't admit this in public, but you may think that my wife and I live in the dark ages.:hide:

I had a disagreement with the local cable company about 25 years ago about installation costs, advertised prices ... long story, but we've survived without cable and just take TV over the air. .
You know I could almost do that. We tried to get cable when I moved in. It was on my property but when I called them they said it wasnt. Took over a year for them to come out so I could prove it was. So I stuck an antenna in the attic and ran cable down and tied it in where my splitter was. We ended up with about 15 channels of HD and I called and ordered DSL

Anyway, I was getting about 1.2 meg downloads with crappy DSL and trying to run a business from home.

I finally got Mediacom to get us cable service so now I have 30 meg internet. The "package" deal for 800 channels of crap was about $30 more than the internet so I took it.

That said we find we only watch the local channels, HGTV and sometimes Nascar when its on odd channels. In over a year we have never watched a movie channel.

It wouldnt take much for me to go back to over the air and just keep the internet !

Over the air HD is superior quality anyway.

I can scan through ALL these channels and cant find ANYTHING to watch. However we just got notice they are adding 27 more spanish channels.....

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm also a Time Warner cable subscriber.

Our service pixilates......

.....I just wish TWC had decent hardware as their DVR's boot whenever they want to or freeze so you have to boot them during a program or recording. Take the box back and they give you a new one that does the exact same thing. At least the office is 15 minutes away.:laugh:
Just wondering if you have a "Scientific Atlanta 8300" Box/DVR. We've had the same problem! ~Scotty

·
Registered
571 Posts
. . . we just got notice they are adding 27 more spanish channels.....
In Iowa . . . ??

Surprised you have that many folks up there who speak spanish . . . :usa

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Iowa has lots of packing houses that need meat cutters. There are also lots of chicken and turkey farms. All kinds of dirty low paying jobs. When I was a kid the only time we really had a large amount of spanish speaking people in town was the end of summer when bean walking was big. Now that no one does that it's all about the meat processing.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I did the deal. Time Warner to be here on Wednesday to change out the Verizon Landline, and Computer to Roadrunner. Goodbye 985kb/sec, hello 20meg/sec..........I hope!

Happy SB Sunday to all! ~Scotty

·
Registered
277 Posts
Glad I live in London UK and have probably the best cable in the country with Virgin media. Speed shown in my sig is being increased to 120MB download and 12MB upload in the summer with no extra cost.:good2:
I have cable TV with more channels than I can count and also have my home phone with them and the total package costs me £58PM = approx $90PM

1 - 20 of 34 Posts