Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've been all over the internet looking for a match for this invasive "grass" that's infiltrated my lawn. This past Spring, I went to a local lawn care retailer to buy some professional grade fert and weed killer. I'm tired of the Scott's 4 step plan as the only option from HomeDepot/Lowe's/etc. and since I have about 40,000 sq. ft. of lawn, I wanted something more cost effective.

The place I went to sells to homeowner's, but also outfits a lot of local professional people as well. Also, my local Penn State Ag Extension office recommended them.

Anyway, I have about 15000sq. ft section of lawn that was started to get invaded by this "grass". The place I bought my material from said to over-seed with a slit-seeder first, to try to establish more grass; then next spring, hit it hard with 2,4-D and kill off the weeds in the pre-emergence phase.

Unfortunately, our weather didn't cooperate. I slit seeded everything in late April and temps were kind of low. Soil temps never really got up and going until late May and then summer hit. In summer time, this "grass" finally takes hold and proliferates like mad. Here are a few pictures.

This one shows the grass tall, uncut. This stuff has spread over half my yard. I try to keep the wooded edges of my property cut, but some areas go uncut...and this is what it looks like at roughly 12-16 inches tall. The bottom two pics are cut at mower height of about 3 to 3.5 inches.

Last week, I spread some pelletized 2,4-D and it doesn't seem too be affected at this stage. I've seen this stuff growing in dense shade, full sun...everywhere...doesn't seem to matter. Any thoughts or ideas are very much welcomed.

Thanks.

20180801_181521.jpg

20180801_181231.jpg

20180801_181214.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,909 Posts
I have to check with my FIL when I get home from work, he has a name for it (probably not the official name though) but it's slipping the grasps of my memory. :banghead::lol: However, I know this about it, it will completely take over a field if left alone, and whatever you do do NOT till it. I ran our tiller over a pretty big patch of that and it just spread the roots all over and made things worse. It will devour our potato field, that's why we plant the winter rye and buckwheat on the unplanted portions of the field. In the fall we burn down the entire field with round up and turn it over and start over, that's the only way we have found to somewhat control it.

Edit: Nutsedge, or Nut Grass, he has a couple of names for it, again, probably not the official grass growers guide but that's what he calls it and it's the same thing.......

Edit again: We have many other more colorful names for that stuff.....

Just sayin':laugh:

·
Registered
141 Posts
This stuff is growing all over my woods and in my food plot.... Not sure what it is.....

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I really want to do something sooner than later. Glad (not that I want to wish this vile weed on anyone else) I'm not the only one that experiences it. My dad says its moved in from the South - I think him and a few guys were calling it "Creeping Charlie" or something to that affect...because it sure creeps into the lawn.

I hate the thoughts of killing it all with round-up and starting my lawn over. I have thought about using round-up on the wooded edges. My thinking there is that the tall stuff goes to seed and continues to spread in my yard. If I kill it in the woods, it might help.

Edit: No....it sure ain't creeping charlie...that's a smaller broadleaf of some sort.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Based off of a google search, I agree that it looks like stiltgrass.
Acclaim Extra is labeled for post emergent control.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Stiltgrass HATES lime,, that is not going to help instantly,,

Stiltgrass is an annual,, a heavy spring application of 2,4-D will stop the seeds from sprouting.
I have had great results with that the past two years,,,

I keep the stilt grass mowed short, and if it is the only thing growing in that spot, it gets Roundup,,,
(gotta stop the seed production)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like Stiltgrass
Wow - great find! Not sure how you came across it, but I've been looking and looking. That sure looks like what I've got. There is a link to a site at Rutgers: https://njaes.rutgers.edu/fs1237 that has some great information.

The fact it does not thrive in full sun is good for my front lawn, but also explains why it is thriving and spreading in the back half of my lawn.

If I can find some time yet this summer, I'll see if I can find some Fenoxaprop to apply. I'd like to get it killed before Fall when I do another attempt and slit seeding. I need to check the records and see, but I think its been the recomended 21 days since I've applied the 2,4D.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Premium Member
12,909 Posts
Wow - great find! Not sure how you came across it, but I've been looking and looking. That sure looks like what I've got. There is a link to a site at Rutgers: https://njaes.rutgers.edu/fs1237 that has some great information.

The fact it does not thrive in full sun is good for my front lawn, but also explains why it is thriving and spreading in the back half of my lawn.

If I can find some time yet this summer, I'll see if I can find some Fenoxaprop to apply. I'd like to get it killed before Fall when I do another attempt and slit seeding. I need to check the records and see, but I think its been the recomended 21 days since I've applied the 2,4D.

Thanks again for the help!
I just clicked on that link, my FIL has always called it nut grass, but in the center picture of your link that is exactly what will take over our potato field if we don't seed it with cover crops. I do know from experience as I mentioned that you DO NOT want to till that as it will just spread it like wild fire. I do believe I've heard my FIL's brother (who is also a farmer) refer to it as stiltgrass.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Stiltgrass

That's a very invasive plant. It even causes issues in reforestation project. The recommendation that I've heard is if you see it, take whatever steps necessary to make it go away, even if there's some collateral damage. That might not be the case in lawns but I would certainly go after it aggressively.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a very invasive plant. It even causes issues in reforestation project. The recommendation that I've heard is if you see it, take whatever steps necessary to make it go away, even if there's some collateral damage. That might not be the case in lawns but I would certainly go after it aggressively.

Treefarmer
After work today, if its calm and not too breezy, I think I'm going to mix up 3 gallons of round-up. If I can hit the brush and wooded edges of my lawn, I can probably get a lot of it. Thats the stuff that can tend to go uncut and might be re-seeding itself. Maybe I can start to get a handle on it then.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Acclaim (Fenoxaprop-p-ethyl) seems to be the best bet. I may have to get some for my yard too. I've been having decent luck with tenacity on the fescue portions of my yard. Bermuda doesn't like it, though. Acclaim looks to be good for warm (zoysia not bermuda) and cool (fescue) season turf grass.

https://www.domyown.com/acclaim-extra-selective-herbicide-p-1506.html

EDIT: Acclaim isn't good for bermuda grass.

·
Registered
22,067 Posts
I have this same stuff growing in parts of my woods. Most of it I don't care about but there is a section of woods right next to the house that I like to leave bare. The ground there is covered with a good 8"-10" of pine needles. I noticed in other areas that it grows strictly in the shade here.

Was out doing some spraying today (Glyphosate) and did that section of weeds in the woods. I noticed that the spray/liquid rolled right off the leaves. I have a feeling I will need to go back with a surfactant if I don't get a good control from this spraying. Will see in about a week.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've never dealt with that weed before, but I wanted to second the suggestion of Tenacity. The generic name is mesotrione. A little goes a looong way, and it's really effective at cleaning all the nasty stuff out of a lawn. I'm battling nimbleweed, and like how the mesotrione really kills everything other than the grass. Even kills crabgrass.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last night, I got to mixing and spraying the ol' Glyphosate....I was sure to keep it away from my Cheerios....(bad joke, probably).

Anyway, I hit a good chunk of the problem areas around the lawn edges in the woods. Most of the wooded areas are white pine and therefore I have a good bed of long pine needles. The stiltgrass does not seem to grow strong in those sections. Although, one side of the yard, it did.

I didn't notice that it was repelling the glyphosate; I was not using any surfactant, either. So, like Coaltrain, I'll have to see how it looks in a week.

I was noticing some of the stiltgrass had tiny pink flowers. If its flowering, I'm assuming it is either ready to or has just dropped seeds. Hopefully the glyphosate will get it in time - maybe my timing is working out good for a change!

:cheers:

·
Registered
22,067 Posts
Last night, I got to mixing and spraying the ol' Glyphosate....I was sure to keep it away from my Cheerios....(bad joke, probably).

Anyway, I hit a good chunk of the problem areas around the lawn edges in the woods. Most of the wooded areas are white pine and therefore I have a good bed of long pine needles. The stiltgrass does not seem to grow strong in those sections. Although, one side of the yard, it did.

I didn't notice that it was repelling the glyphosate; I was not using any surfactant, either. So, like Coaltrain, I'll have to see how it looks in a week.

I was noticing some of the stiltgrass had tiny pink flowers. If its flowering, I'm assuming it is either ready to or has just dropped seeds. Hopefully the glyphosate will get it in time - maybe my timing is working out good for a change!

:cheers:
While I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I did study for and pass my core and rights-of-way herbicide license. What I learned as a basic rule is to spray just when the plant matures. If you spray while it is actively growing results will be much less. If you spray well after the first maturity is also a waste. Spraying at the right time gets the chemical sucked down into the roots the best. This is after the plant has flowered or seeded and it is then bringing nutrients down into its roots for storage while in hibernation.

So with all that said....I think we are at the prime time to spray these guys. If I get no reaction in 5-7 days I will hit it again right away with a surfactant. Will likely just try dish soap myself as I am too cheap to buy anything. Will have to do some research on the proper ratio to use.

9AA91B79-CC51-4D63-986A-DCF2DABD74C5.jpeg

E08F2142-3F0C-449C-87C2-B4952DB0A146.jpeg

077AE138-2B5C-47DA-85F6-19AB66957799.jpeg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts