Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, what is your thoughts about the various weed wipers on the market. I don't plan on spending thousands of dollars to either on a sprayer or a wiper. For now, I only need to treat 12 acres of bermuda

Seems like building one is not that difficult

·
Administrator
20,908 Posts
Are you talking about a string trimmer, aka weed whip, weed whacker, weed eater?

My vote goes to Stihl. I have a FS110, one of the best pieces of equipment I own. It's reliable, quiet, versatile, and powerful. I think you can get one for around 4 bills.

My dad thought it was pretty dumb to buy such an expensive trimmer. He's replaced his 5 times or more in the time I've owned this one (10 years?). I've only changed the plug.:laugh: The Stihl looks like a deal now doesn't it dad?:mocking:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I like Stihl as well. I prefer their Kombi motor products because I hate keeping 2 cycle equipment running. Some of it I don't use that often. So I bought a Stihl Kombi motor which is a 4 cycle that runs on 2 cycle fuel and doesn't have oil in the crankcase. For the Kombi motor I have the weed trimmer attachment, tiller, blower and pole saw. It gets used enough I never have issues with the motor and the gas is always fresh.

·
Registered
446 Posts
A weed wiper would be for applying herbicide to tall weeds, by having some kind of bar set to a certain height so the tall weeds rub against it getting herbicide applied where the desired plants that are at a lower level do not touch the bar. You drive through and tall weeds "wipe" them against the bar versus spraying everything.

I think a good example would be if you wanted to kill tall weeds that are in a clover food plot and they are a type of weed that you can’t spray without also killing the clover.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just googled up this thread about a homemade weed wiper:

Completed weed wiper - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

It looks easy to build, its just a PVC tube that you can fill with herbicide (roundup for example). It has some cotton rope that runs through it to act as a wick. It would be very easy to attach to your bucket or 3 point so you can get just the height you want.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
LOL, I blame this on Jason for leading me down the wrong path.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I've never heard of the term "Weed-Wiper". I looked at the link, but don't understand the concept! Is it to roll down the tall weeds so that the Round-Up or whatever is applied is at ground level? Or is there something that injures the stems to allow the treatment to quickly enter the weed stem? Thanks! ~Scotty

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Might be an adhesion deal. I know some herbicides work better when you wipe across the leaf.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I believe it’s to more precisely apply the herbicide only to the weeds. You set the bar to a height so when the weeds hit it and bend under the bar the “wick” applies the herbicide to the weeds’ leaves and stem. Think of the wick as sponge that holds the herbicide and only transfers it when a plant touches it.

The desired plants pass safely under the bar and hence get no herbicide on them. In practice they may get some drips, or if it is front mounted you may run over a weed and get some transfer from the wheels.

These are mostly used where what you are trying to kill is taller than what you want to keep.

·
Administrator
20,908 Posts
A weed wiper would be for applying herbicide to tall weeds, by having some kind of bar set to a certain height so the tall weeds rub against it getting herbicide applied where the desired plants that are at a lower level do not touch the bar. You drive through and tall weeds "wipe" them against the bar versus spraying everything.

I think a good example would be if you wanted to kill tall weeds that are in a clover food plot and they are a type of weed that you can’t spray without also killing the clover.
:lol::lol: My mistake. :flag_of_truce: I thought this was a classic example of something being misspelled. :mocking:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
:lol::lol: My mistake. :flag_of_truce: I thought this was a classic example of something being misspelled. :mocking:
I thought it may be a regional thing....but then I thought....nah, them coonasses aint that far from me. So I must be missing something... I knew it was above my head

1 - 12 of 12 Posts