Green Tractor Talk banner

weighing down D130 (winter prep)

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SulleyBear 
#1 ·
I bought a D130 with a snow blower attachment last winter and I already made some adjustments that seemed to greatly increase the ease of plowing my laneway such as adding a custom rear box that holds more rear weights and added rear tire chains. Now my machine can at least move around in snow packed or icy conditions.

My unpaved laneway is quite large and is basically an uneven hill that ices over in the winter. I can just barely manage to clear it now but I want to make it even easier on myself for this upcoming winter.

I've noticed I could use much more front weight as I seen my tires lifting, tires not grabbing while turning etc.. I believe the problem is not only my laneway but the lack of weight of the machine. (I never knew these garden tractors were so light)

I'm thinking of front wheel weights, chaining my front tires or even welding on some sort of bracket in the front where I can stack weights on it to weigh down those front tires to get some sort of increased traction/friction when on uneven ground.

Hoping for any insight into this issue and wanting to know if anyone has found a hack to deal with this issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a reason deere made a bracket that’s large enough for four weights, but it only has cut outs for 2. The d series axles are not up for more.

I would take weight out of the box if you need more traction.

#3 ·
Your rear weight box is turning the rear axle into a fulcrum and taking weight off the front axle. Think of a child's teeter-totter. When you put the heavy kid on one side, the light kid on the other side flies up into the air. That's why Deere recommends wheel weights, not a weight box. The wheel weights still allow you to put weight on the ground but they don't unload weight from the front end.

The D1XX machines weren't made for that sort of abuse. If you keep adding weight you'll be lucky if it makes it through the winter without blowing the transmission.

#4 ·
I don't want a reply to your first post to be discouraging, but using your D130 on hills, with a snow blower, added weight and tire chains is very likely to result in drive line failures.

The D series machines are a lawn mower which has some other limited capabilities and while they resemble a "garden tractor", they are built to the entry price point and as such, they don't tolerate "hard use" well, at all. They are designed for light urban use on relatively level ground. Be very careful putting weight and any "stress" on your mower.

The rear hydro static K40 Tuff Torq drive assembly is a light weight unit. It has a very well documented history of not tolerating excessive use on hills, with added weight, pulling loads and with "ground engaging" implements. That's why Deere limits the attachments which it sells for the D series.

I suggest you read this thread.

Do all makes of low end tractors have transaxle problems?

Just so you know, steering issues with front implements happens often, even on much larger machines. Machines with hydraulically controlled front lift and implements also experience steering issues. It's one of the most common "complaints" for those running front blades and front snowblowers on a wide variety of machines.

Adding front weight likely won't improve the steering too much, but its likely to add the issues raised earlier in my post.....

Welcome to GTT ......

Reactions: Catfishin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.