Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping that the forecast is right and we do get some snow tomorrow :pray:, I decided to move this project up on the list.

The Kubota weights are a bit different and require a bit more work to make a bracket. (wish I'd kept my old Deere weights..)

I ran out of steam before I got all the little things done like the top plate for the center bracket and the end caps. Had a couple old strap ends that I saved when they got frayed so I am ready for a test run.

Now if it will just snow :pray:.....at least enough to give this a try....:plowsnow:

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Nice job! Beautiful welds:good2:

·
Premium Member
13,035 Posts
As a long time rear blade user I have to ask, what is the advantage of placing weights that far forward on the blade frame?

·
Premium Member
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a long time rear blade user I have to ask, what is the advantage of placing weights that far forward on the blade frame?
I realize the forward position is not optimal. I have a future plan to add a bracket directly above the blade.

With this placement I am also hoping to keep some weight on the hitch for rear traction as well a some weight on the blade.

Like I said, it is a test run. :read

I might also use some different weights for the rear. :think:

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we didn't get any "snow"..

But we did get a couple inches of sleet and a bit of frozen rain.. Close Enough! :yahoo:

Plowed the drive.
Plowed the neighbors drive.

Awe what the heck, I plowed the road. Well at least a few miles of it.

And just because I am a good neighbor, I cleaned out the ends of everyone's driveways. :drinks:

:plowsnow: :yahoo: :plowsnow: :yahoo: :plowsnow: :yahoo: :plowsnow: :yahoo:

The rear blade with the new weight bracket.. :good2:!
Good weight on the blade and still some weight on the rear tires.
The blade scraped off the semi-frozen stuff right down to asphalt. Didn't ride up on stuff either. The road had been driven on so some of it was pretty well packed. No problem.

I wasn't sure how well it would work. Like someone posted, the weights are a bit forward, but it worked really well. :cheers:
Next test will be playing in the dirt, but I think I found a sweet spot.

Should have taken the camera with me, but I was having too much fun. :kidw_truck_smiley:
It is confirmed, now even the neighbors know I'm nuts. :bigbeer:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nice work.

Do the weights interfere with rotating the blade180 degrees?

·
Premium Member
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice work.

Do the weights interfere with rotating the blade180 degrees?
Thank You.

The blade clears the bottom of the weights.

That took a bit of figuring and somehow I managed to do the math right. :laugh:

Reactions: etcallhome and Levi

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
I was thinking the same thing but then I thought...you know the kind of thinking that gets you in trouble. Thought that maybe seeing as I don't know anything about orange, that maybe it needed all the help it could get. :dunno: :hide:

·
Premium Member
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking the same thing but then I thought...you know the kind of thinking that gets you in trouble. Thought that maybe seeing as I don't know anything about orange, that maybe it needed all the help it could get. :dunno: :hide:
:bigbeer:

Given that I am the operator....any tractor could use all the help it can get. :lolol:

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
:bigbeer:

Given that I am the operator....any tractor could use all the help it can get. :lolol:
Us Tn. folks are like that. :bigbeer: :laugh:

Reactions: Gizmo2 and rtgt

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hoping that the forecast is right and we do get some snow tomorrow :pray:, I decided to move this project up on the list.

The Kubota weights are a bit different and require a bit more work to make a bracket. (wish I'd kept my old Deere weights..)

I ran out of steam before I got all the little things done like the top plate for the center bracket and the end caps. Had a couple old strap ends that I saved when they got frayed so I am ready for a test run.

Now if it will just snow :pray:.....at least enough to give this a try....:plowsnow:
I should do something like that to avoid repeat of the mess I threw together last winter.

2014-02-12 14.25.57e.jpg

·
Registered
375 Posts
If I could weld like that, I'd never leave the house.

I don't think that's how the joke goes, but beautiful welds, just the same. I have two welders but rarely use them. I hope to get some practice this spring when I attempt to convert a couple of implements I bought over to QH status.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should do something like that to avoid repeat of the mess I threw together last winter.

View attachment 40668
Some pretty creative "wings" on the sides.

Your hydraulics will make the mod interesting. The plus for you is that the JD weights just hang. All you'll need is a 3/8" x 3" flat bar for the weight bracket.

I'd love to have hydraulic angle!

Shouldn't be hard to come up with something that will work.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spent some quality shop time today and finished up a few loose ends on the rear blade weight brackets.

Drilled out a hole and welded a nut to the frame to hold the weights against the main tube. Then I finished the cap for the center mount.

Just in time if the weather guessers are right, 1-3" of ? tonight...:yahoo:

Attachments

Reactions: felixm22
1 - 16 of 16 Posts