Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased an X534 4 wheel steer tractor and I'm having difficulty installing the rear weight bracket (Part BM24011) on the tractor. The weight bracket is designed so that you need to assemble the bracket 1st, then secure two bolts / spacers to the bottom left and right frame of the tractor which the bottom of the bracket pivots on and then you install 2 clevis pins (left and right) on the upper rear frame to hold the top part of the bracket in place. The problem is that on the left side of the rear frame there's a bolt and nut sticking out that's used on a bracket which helps secure the rear wheel steering rods and as a result the weight bracket cannot be slid and pinned in to place on the rear frame as referenced in the assembly instructions. As you'd expect the instructions mention nothing about having to deal with the existing bolt / nut sticking out of the rear frame. Does anyone on the forum here have experience with this issue or know what the solution is ?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the pics. One pic shows the bolt / nut in question. Right behind and slightly above the nut you can see the hole that the clevis pin goes in to hold the top part of the bracket. The 2nd pic shows the steering bracket itself that is being secured by this bolt / nut. Both the left and right sides of the weight bracket have an oversized hole that would fit over the nut but the problem is if you were to take this bolt / nut off and then re-insert it AFTER the weight bracket is installed it doesn't look like the hole in the side bracket for the clevis pin will line up with the hole in the tractor frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own a 534 and i was not aware of a weight bracket that will fit it? All of the other 500 series yes, but not the 534. I don't think deere wants any extra weight back there? Anyway, i built my own for my 534 and my 540. Not easy to fasten on, as the back of the 534 is very busy/full.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I ordered what the JD Parts Catalog showed to be the RIGHT weight bracket for the X534 tractor: John Deere parts catalog, search by model X534, then search alphabetical, Weight, rear (optional). It gives you an assembly diagram and the weight bracket kit part number of: BM24011. When I ordered it my dealer knew it was for an X534 and gave me every indication the bracket should work since it was listed in the X534 catalog so don't know what to tell ya ? Given the problems I'm having maybe it really doesn't work.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I ordered what the JD Parts Catalog showed to be the RIGHT weight bracket for the X534 tractor: John Deere parts catalog, search by model X534, then search alphabetical, Weight, rear (optional). It gives you an assembly diagram and the weight bracket kit part number of: BM24011. When I ordered it my dealer knew it was for an X534 and gave me every indication the bracket should work since it was listed in the X534 catalog so don't know what to tell ya ? Given the problems I'm having maybe it really doesn't work.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
well you don't have to tell me anything there mr. know-it-all. i was just trying to help you out. i could really care less if it works on your tractor or not, i have nice, heavy-duty brackets on both of mine that work perfectly. so stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cat, I'm sorry if you felt I was trying to be a know it all or a smart a** in my response to you. That wasn't my intent at all. I was simply trying to point out that I ordered the bracket that was called for in the JD X534 parts catalog. I definitely appreciate your offer to try and help and if it didn't come across like that again I'm sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Reading posts on forums and the general attitude of the post is hard since so many things can be interpreted in many ways. I think Cat read your "RIGHT" in capital letters as yelling.
Its all good, we understand that its not cool to have something that should work and does not. I am sure someone on here will come along with the answer soon.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I cannot be sure if the Bundle is correct for your model. We would need to check with the whole goods guys to be sure. We'll have to assume that the catalog info is correct. That being said, I looked up the installation instructions for that bundle. Do these pics give you any insight?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Kevin. Yes I received those diagrams with the kit. The problem with them is that they only show the right hand view. The bolt / nut that's sticking out of the rear frame and prohibiting the installation is on the left hand side and the verbiage in the instructions say nothing about it either. Several days ago my local John Deere Salesman personally delivered my new snowblower attachment. While he was here I showed him the problem I was having with the installation. He took the bracket back to his shop and was going to see if one of the guys there could help. I got a phone message from him today saying they've dealt with this before and the bracket will work. He's coming back out to the house in the next few days to show me the solution. I'll share what I find out in the forum here in case anyone else runs in to this problem in the future.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I was afraid of that. Your photos,definitely, don't match the drawing. It is possible that father Deere made a mistake. The instructions are vague and don't specify a model. There are no DTAC solutions for bracket modifications. We have not run into this problem, yet. I look forward to seeing their solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
problem fixed

To those who might be interested I wanted to report back that the salesman from my local JD Dealer solutioned the weight bracket problem for me. He came over to the house the other night and slapped the bracket on the back of the tractor in about 15 min. First off for those wanting to order the bracket for your X534 the correct bracket kit number is in fact BM24011. Now when you get the kit the instructions in the box won't help you much because they're basically written for the 500 series in general which means they do not account for the nut from the rear wheel steering bracket that's protruding out of the left side of the frame. This is an important item because you can't assemble and mount the bracket like the directions tell you to because of this nut.

So.... what you have to do is first bolt on the wide spacers on the bottom of the rear frame that the left and right side plates rest on. Also not mentioned in the directions is there are two sets of holes towards the bottom of the rear frame. You'll wanna install your bolts / spacers in the most forward set of holes on the bottom of the frame. I didn't do that which is why the pre-cut hole in the left side plate of the bracket would not fit over the protruding nut and allow for the clevis pin holes in the side plate and the frame to line up properly. Anyhow, next you'll wanna put the left and right side plates in place by resting the bottom of the side plates on the bolts / spacers you just installed in the frame and then pin the upper part of the side plates in place with the clevis pins they give you. Putting the side plates on first versus is how you solution the problem with the nut sticking out of the frame because the side plate has a pre-drilled hole that when lined up with the clevis pin hole in the frame will fit right over the steering bracket nut. After you've pinned both side plates on then go ahead and bolt the weight bar on to the side plates and installation is complete. If you completely assemble the bracket 1st like the directions tell you it will not work because you can't slide the left side of the bracket over the frame because of the steering bracket nut. Here's a few pics showing the finished product and I hope someone else can benefit from what I've learned on this one:

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
Thanks for the followup JD, I am sure it will help someone in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts