Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still thinking the whole weight thing. Wheel weights, ballast box, suitcase weights, etc., I probably missed some. Oh yea, filling the tires.
Anyhow, I'm thinking :think: it would be great to have added weight on front and rear all the time, whether tilling, box scraping, or using the loader. Taking advantage on an implement on the front and rear all the time is a no brainer. Having additional weight, beyond the implement, is the challenge. Wheel weights and suitcase weights are the two options I see that don't interfere with an implement and are not a standalone, like a ballast box, maybe there's more.
Has anyone considered :unknown:, or already done, adding a bar on their I-Match to hold suitcase weights? If so I'd like to see what you've done. . . . Or am I way off base here? :cookoo:

I see wheel weights front and rear and/or suitcase weights front and rear (on I-Match). Neither interfere with an implement. . . . Just a thought!:usa

Reactions: mygoliath

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
I've taken my lifting weights, (used oh some ) on the front and rear quick hitch. I left about 3" on both sides of the rear I match and place the weights on the inside of the I match Even have 4 heavy rotors that I put on the bar plus about 100 # of weights. I use this setup with the blower on the front.
I put the bar on the front of tractor and some weight when I have the tiller on . Couldn't find weights at a fair price so I noticed the lifting weights one day walking out basement door.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
Still thinking the whole weight thing. Wheel weights, ballast box, suitcase weights, etc., I probably missed some. Oh yea, filling the tires.
Anyhow, I'm thinking :think: it would be great to have added weight on front and rear all the time, whether tilling, box scraping, or using the loader. Taking advantage on an implement on the front and rear all the time is a no brainer. Having additional weight, beyond the implement, is the challenge. Wheel weights and suitcase weights are the two options I see that don't interfere with an implement and are not a standalone, like a ballast box, maybe there's more.
Has anyone considered :unknown:, or already done, adding a bar on their I-Match to hold suitcase weights? If so I'd like to see what you've done. . . . Or am I way off base here? :cookoo:

I see wheel weights front and rear and/or suitcase weights front and rear (on I-Match). Neither interfere with an implement. . . . Just a thought!:usa
Here's the solution:

https://heavyhitch.com/store/

I don't know about the 1026r but my 2520 has a weight bracket built right in on the front that holds 5 weights (42#) I think. I added an extended weight bracket that now holds 7. For the rear the heavy hitch (which is iMatch compatible) will hold 9 weights.

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
A HeavyHitch isn't going to solve his quandry. He can't have that AND a tiller or box scraper on the iMatch at the same time.
Ahh - OK - I guess I misunderstood the need for weight along with the implement at the same end......

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
I am happy with my HeavyHitch. They do have some implements that fit in the trailer receiver that also has the weight bar on it. So you could use both at the same time. Check out their website.

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clarification . . . . My 1026R has a bracket on the front for suitcase weights. I have an I-Match hitch on the rear.

I'm wondering if anyone has welded a bar, etc., on their I-Match for the attachment and holding of suitcase weights. This would allow the suitcase weights to be on the tractor all the time, same as the I-Match, while still allowing easy attachment of a 647 tiller or box scraper, etc., with no interference. . . . Just an idea that got my attention.:think:

Changing to the Heavy Hitch @ this point would cost too many additional :gizmo:. I'd rather spend the dollars on the weights.:good2:

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you are thinking about weights for your tractor being a new owner of an SCUT. This is very important and often overlooked. It doesn't take much of any implement to throw those little tractors way off balance and be dangerous.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There isn't a lot of room to mount much on a quick hitch and still leave room for an implement. I'm not saying it can't be done but I sure wouldn't want to do it. Sounds like a modification that you will be banging your head on constantly. If you're wanting cheap I'd go with weight lifting weights and just put a bar on your quick hitch to hang them from. Or get a drawbar from TSC and see what you can hang or weld on that. It won't be permanent like you want but you already shelled out the money for an I-Match to make things easy on and off so utilize it. I just don't like the idea of welding on something as expensive as an I-Match only to find out later you don't like it.

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'm going to try the welded bar(s) on the I-Match since it has a good 'start' weight and I leave it on all the time. I'm thinking of clamping or bolting the bar(s) first, before welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
I think I'm going to try the welded bar(s) on the I-Match since it has a good 'start' weight and I leave it on all the time. I'm thinking of clamping or bolting the bar(s) first, before welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marlin,
Did you ever come up with a design for the weight bar that you were planning to install on the I-match? I have had this same idea, just haven't done it yet. I find when using my 48" box blade on my 1025, the box blade isn't heavy enough to provide sufficient ballast when using the FEL at the same time. I hang 4 - 40 lb. suitcase weights on the frame of the box blade to add more weight to it. I find the same problem when I am using my 3 point rack. Anyway, being able to hang, maybe 6 - 40 lb. suitcase weights on the I-match would solve this problem. Added ballast and still be able to attached a 3 point attachment.

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marlin,
Did you ever come up with a design for the weight bar that you were planning to install on the I-match? I have had this same idea, just haven't done it yet. I find when using my 48" box blade on my 1025, the box blade isn't heavy enough to provide sufficient ballast when using the FEL at the same time. I hang 4 - 40 lb. suitcase weights on the frame of the box blade to add more weight to it. I find the same problem when I am using my 3 point rack. Anyway, being able to hang, maybe 6 - 40 lb. suitcase weights on the I-match would solve this problem. Added ballast and still be able to attached a 3 point attachment.
Ha, I have not but still want to. Up till a few months ago I didn't have suitcase weights . . . So it's on my list.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Ha, I have not but still want to. Up till a few months ago I didn't have suitcase weights . . . So it's on my list.
OK! Thanks! I may work on a design. I definitely have the same idea that you have.

Reactions: Marlin and BigJim55

·
Registered
747 Posts
I would like to add some weight to my quick hitch as well but wonder about damaging the locking mechanism when using ground engaging equipment such as box blade and land planer as now the quick hitch will be trying to exert down pressure on the implement which it isn't designed for.

For extra weight when using the loader or more traction it should work fine.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
I would like to add some weight to my quick hitch as well but wonder about damaging the locking mechanism when using ground engaging equipment such as box blade and land planer as now the quick hitch will be trying to exert down pressure on the implement which it isn't designed for.

For extra weight when using the loader or more traction it should work fine.
That's a good point. I have to think about that!!! Thanks!!

Reactions: Marlin and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK! Thanks! I may work on a design. I definitely have the same idea that you have.
I would like to add some weight to my quick hitch as well but wonder about damaging the locking mechanism when using ground engaging equipment such as box blade and land planer as now the quick hitch will be trying to exert down pressure on the implement which it isn't designed for. For extra weight when using the loader or more traction it should work fine.
That's a good point. I have to think about that!!! Thanks!!
I'm no Mechanical Engineer so I'm solicit others inputs and designs. I don't see the problem of adding a couple hundred pounds to the iMatch. My intent is that specifically as my iMatch is 'always' on my :greentractorride: and the 647 Tiller, Artillian Forks, or Box Blade is on for use or weight when using the H120 Loader. This means I don't have to move the suitcase weights as I switch implements, they're always on the :greentractorride: and iMatch.

:munch::munch:

Reactions: Ray_PA

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
I'm no Mechanical Engineer so I'm solicit others inputs and designs. I don't see the problem of adding a couple hundred pounds to the iMatch. My intent is that specifically as my iMatch is 'always' on my :greentractorride: and the 647 Tiller, Artillian Forks, or Box Blade is on for use or weight when using the H120 Loader. This means I don't have to move the suitcase weights as I switch implements, they're always on the :greentractorride: and iMatch.

Marlin,
I think the concern with putting suitcase weights on a weight bracket attached to the I-match will apply down pressure to the bottom I-match pin latch mechanisms. These latches are there to retain the attachment, not necessarily have down pressure applied to them. I am going to take a good look at how the latches work and try to determine if down pressure will be a problem. Not sure at this point.

Reactions: Marlin

·
Registered
747 Posts

It will work great just a ballast when using the loader. The problem comes when you mount an attachment on the 3 point hitch. Often times people add weight to their land planes or box blades so they dig/scrape more aggressively. If you add the weight to the I-match bracket instead then the I-match is putting down pressure on the implement via the locking mechanism for which its not designed for.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you add the weight to the I-match bracket instead then the I-match is putting down pressure on the implement via the locking mechanism for which its not designed for.
It is designed to take weight, the iMatch itself weighs 60+ lbs and the 3pt arms add some weight too. My opinion is that adding a couple hundred pounds would be fine for homeowner use. The amount of time that there is extra stress on the locking mechanism is relatively low. I would not be concerned about breakage, just some accelerated wear that may be noticed after a couple decades.

Reactions: Marlin
1 - 20 of 24 Posts