Green Tractor Talk banner

Weight Bracket On I-Match

11K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  inaun 
#1 ·
Still thinking the whole weight thing. Wheel weights, ballast box, suitcase weights, etc., I probably missed some. Oh yea, filling the tires.
Anyhow, I'm thinking :think: it would be great to have added weight on front and rear all the time, whether tilling, box scraping, or using the loader. Taking advantage on an implement on the front and rear all the time is a no brainer. Having additional weight, beyond the implement, is the challenge. Wheel weights and suitcase weights are the two options I see that don't interfere with an implement and are not a standalone, like a ballast box, maybe there's more.
Has anyone considered :unknown:, or already done, adding a bar on their I-Match to hold suitcase weights? If so I'd like to see what you've done. . . . Or am I way off base here? :cookoo:

I see wheel weights front and rear and/or suitcase weights front and rear (on I-Match). Neither interfere with an implement. . . . Just a thought!:usa

Reactions: mygoliath
#2 ·
I've taken my lifting weights, (used oh some ) on the front and rear quick hitch. I left about 3" on both sides of the rear I match and place the weights on the inside of the I match Even have 4 heavy rotors that I put on the bar plus about 100 # of weights. I use this setup with the blower on the front.
I put the bar on the front of tractor and some weight when I have the tiller on . Couldn't find weights at a fair price so I noticed the lifting weights one day walking out basement door.

Reactions: Levi
#3 · (Edited)
Here's the solution:

https://heavyhitch.com/store/

I don't know about the 1026r but my 2520 has a weight bracket built right in on the front that holds 5 weights (42#) I think. I added an extended weight bracket that now holds 7. For the rear the heavy hitch (which is iMatch compatible) will hold 9 weights.

#4 ·
#7 ·
I am happy with my HeavyHitch. They do have some implements that fit in the trailer receiver that also has the weight bar on it. So you could use both at the same time. Check out their website.

#8 ·
Clarification . . . . My 1026R has a bracket on the front for suitcase weights. I have an I-Match hitch on the rear.

I'm wondering if anyone has welded a bar, etc., on their I-Match for the attachment and holding of suitcase weights. This would allow the suitcase weights to be on the tractor all the time, same as the I-Match, while still allowing easy attachment of a 647 tiller or box scraper, etc., with no interference. . . . Just an idea that got my attention.:think:

Changing to the Heavy Hitch @ this point would cost too many additional :gizmo:. I'd rather spend the dollars on the weights.:good2:

#9 ·
I'm glad to hear that you are thinking about weights for your tractor being a new owner of an SCUT. This is very important and often overlooked. It doesn't take much of any implement to throw those little tractors way off balance and be dangerous.

#10 ·
There isn't a lot of room to mount much on a quick hitch and still leave room for an implement. I'm not saying it can't be done but I sure wouldn't want to do it. Sounds like a modification that you will be banging your head on constantly. If you're wanting cheap I'd go with weight lifting weights and just put a bar on your quick hitch to hang them from. Or get a drawbar from TSC and see what you can hang or weld on that. It won't be permanent like you want but you already shelled out the money for an I-Match to make things easy on and off so utilize it. I just don't like the idea of welding on something as expensive as an I-Match only to find out later you don't like it.

#11 ·
I think I'm going to try the welded bar(s) on the I-Match since it has a good 'start' weight and I leave it on all the time. I'm thinking of clamping or bolting the bar(s) first, before welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Marlin,
Did you ever come up with a design for the weight bar that you were planning to install on the I-match? I have had this same idea, just haven't done it yet. I find when using my 48" box blade on my 1025, the box blade isn't heavy enough to provide sufficient ballast when using the FEL at the same time. I hang 4 - 40 lb. suitcase weights on the frame of the box blade to add more weight to it. I find the same problem when I am using my 3 point rack. Anyway, being able to hang, maybe 6 - 40 lb. suitcase weights on the I-match would solve this problem. Added ballast and still be able to attached a 3 point attachment.

#15 ·
I would like to add some weight to my quick hitch as well but wonder about damaging the locking mechanism when using ground engaging equipment such as box blade and land planer as now the quick hitch will be trying to exert down pressure on the implement which it isn't designed for.

For extra weight when using the loader or more traction it should work fine.

Reactions: BigJim55
#16 ·
That's a good point. I have to think about that!!! Thanks!!

Reactions: Marlin and BigJim55
#22 ·
:munch::munch:

#25 ·
OK, I know this is an old thread. But I'm new here...so new to me :) I recently scored on free ballast material from my auto mechanic -- used brake rotors! For front, I cut a slot in several of the rotors so they will hang over the weight bracket similar to suitcase weights. Rotors I used for this come out to 20# each after slots are cut, and I can stack 10 of them across the middle of the weight bracket. I can also hang a really big deep-hubbed truck rotor off each end of the bracket, and if needed can fill the empty hub with concrete/metal scrap to add additional weight making these about 50# each.

The rotors can also be used for rear wheel weights. By selecting rotors that stack easily, I have a stack of weights for each side that will add 100# on top of the JD weight that came with the tractor (so equivalent of 2 more JD weights per side) -- my stack ends up being 1" wider than if I used only JD weights. Just needed to drill holes so they mount just like the factory wheel weights.

Finally, I have enough rotors left to use as raw weight to carry on the 3-point as rear ballast. I haven't quite figured the best way to attach. I was going to build a carry-all and stack the rotors so I can just slide under and pick up. But I'm having difficulty getting good design information on material size needed to carry 700# of ballast weight. So toying with the idea of just embedding rotors into a concrete block with pins in the concrete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.