Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I don't always have time to spend on GTT, I always feel so welcome by this group. Since we generally don't see each other, some changes aren't obvious unless we happen to appear in a photo.

I have always struggled with my weight. My weight has gone up and down (in large volumes) for my entire life. Last spring (2017) I came to the conclusion that I could not continue to carry so much weight. I was starting to experience side effects that I had not really experienced when I was younger and overweight. I was taking blood pressure meds. I had been struggling with acid reflux for many years. I was starting to get winded with a single flight of stairs. During the months leading up to surgery, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. And, of course, I was always dealing with the general discomfort associated with being overweight. It was time to make a change.

The change I chose was Roux-en-y gastric bypass. I had surgery 11/20/17. I did well with the surgery and have done well with the post operative adjustments. This was not an easy decision and involves a life-long commitment. I feel like this was the right thing to do for myself and my family. I am confident that I have reduced some of the health risks (co-morbidities) in my life. I am no longer taking blood pressure meds, have not experienced acid reflux in over a year, and as a bonus, I fit better on roller coaster rides!

Here are a few comparison pictures from before the surgery and last week.

image(2).jpg
image.jpg
image(1).jpg

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
Lee,
Congratulations on your success! I'm not going to recognize you the next time I see you!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Congratulations. I am 5'8" and 230#. I definitely would feel better at 210 but after 10 hours doing my daily ritual, I just want a 6 pack of bud light, a piece of chicken and my recliner. I commend you for your commitment and effort. I don't have serious health issues unless you count getting hit in the head too many times (literally) but I'm sure they could happen. I eat a lot of protein and cook most of my meals. I don't smoke except the occasional cigar so I guess that helps. I mostly go by the way I feel. If I start feeling not so great, a change is in order.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations. I am 5'8" and 230#. I definitely would feel better at 210 but after 10 hours doing my daily ritual, I just want a 6 pack of bud light, a piece of chicken and my recliner. I commend you for your commitment and effort. I don't have serious health issues unless you count getting hit in the head too many times (literally) but I'm sure they could happen. I eat a lot of protein and cook most of my meals. I don't smoke except the occasional cigar so I guess that helps. I mostly go by the way I feel. If I start feeling not so great, a change is in order.
Four years ago, a close friend of mine had the same surgery. Back then, I wasn't remotely interested. Three years later, after another cycle of losing 45 lbs and gaining 55 back, I realized that the cycle was not going to end. I have no regrets whatsoever, but would definitely argue that this is not something you should ever be talked into. It is not something I would wish on anyone. I definitely feel like it is the right choice for me.

Lee

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I am just lucky and eat all I want and never diet but still stay 130 lbs 19% BM not sure why but this is what my body wants to stay at the last 50 years. I have never been over weight but can't say that for the rest of my family there all over 250 lbs. some pushing 300! I am pretty hyper but do like my chair to sit in also.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,319 Posts
I congratulate you dude!! :good2::good2:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Lee, can you tell us more about the journey? I'm 6'2" 380lbs. I've been big all my life and want to know good and bad experiences you had thru the entire journey please. If you would rather do this via PM, please do so.

I've had family do gastric bypass (of one type or another) only to lose a bunch of weight then gain it back over the next 5 years. I personally have had weight cycles in my life and that is what is discouraging me from doing it (losing weight) again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Although I don't always have time to spend on GTT, I always feel so welcome by this group. Since we generally don't see each other, some changes aren't obvious unless we happen to appear in a photo.

I have always struggled with my weight. My weight has gone up and down (in large volumes) for my entire life. Last spring (2017) I came to the conclusion that I could not continue to carry so much weight. I was starting to experience side effects that I had not really experienced when I was younger and overweight. I was taking blood pressure meds. I had been struggling with acid reflux for many years. I was starting to get winded with a single flight of stairs. During the months leading up to surgery, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. And, of course, I was always dealing with the general discomfort associated with being overweight. It was time to make a change.

The change I chose was Roux-en-y gastric bypass. I had surgery 11/20/17. I did well with the surgery and have done well with the post operative adjustments. This was not an easy decision and involves a life-long commitment. I feel like this was the right thing to do for myself and my family. I am confident that I have reduced some of the health risks (co-morbidities) in my life. I am no longer taking blood pressure meds, have not experienced acid reflux in over a year, and as a bonus, I fit better on roller coaster rides!

Here are a few comparison pictures from before the surgery and last week.

View attachment 660678
View attachment 660680
View attachment 660682
Just be careful my brothers Daughter had the operation and lost the weight then went right back to over eating and stretched her stomach back out and now is bigger. But with her it is a eating disorder and she eats to feel good? I feel for people who can gain weigh real easy I would have to eat way to much food to gain as I have tried before and it just goes away when I quit stuffing myself. When my wife met me 34 years ago I was only 115 lbs real lean looking and she put the weight back on me and always wants me to eat but it topped out at 130 lbs again. Once on medication I got up to 145 lbs soon as I stopped it I went back down and lost my boobs that were growing and don't laugh it was the meds doing it! They were getting bigger then my wife's!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Congratulations,I myself have lost 42 lbs and another 15 will get me to my goal.My wife also has lost (47) we both have been doing keto and changing our diet.We both feel much better and have much more energy.A friend of ours had the surgery,he is doing great,all medical problems he had are gone.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Just be careful my brothers Daughter had the operation and lost the weight then went right back to over eating and stretched her stomach back out and now is bigger. But with her it is a eating disorder and she eats to feel good? I feel for people who can gain weigh real easy I would have to eat way to much food to gain as I have tried before and it just goes away when I quit stuffing myself. When my wife met me 34 years ago I was only 115 lbs real lean looking and she put the weight back on me and always wants me to eat but it topped out at 130 lbs again. Once on medication I got up to 145 lbs soon as I stopped it I went back down and lost my boobs that were growing and don't laugh it was the meds doing it! They were getting bigger then my wife's!

I know all too well what med does that.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Congrats on your loss. You are a stronger man than I. I have always been heavy. Weighed 240 when graduated high school. Now 420 and have been for 20 years. Looked into the surgery you had and decided not to do it in 98. I talked about the lap band also. How long were you off work after the surgery??? It's fate this pops up now. Having a surgical debridment and skin graft this Monday on a wound on lower leg. Good luck and keep it up.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lee, can you tell us more about the journey? I'm 6'2" 380lbs. I've been big all my life and want to know good and bad experiences you had thru the entire journey please. If you would rather do this via PM, please do so.

I've had family do gastric bypass (of one type or another) only to lose a bunch of weight then gain it back over the next 5 years. I personally have had weight cycles in my life and that is what is discouraging me from doing it (losing weight) again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I am happy to share. Unfortunately, at just over 1 year out, I can't prove that your family member's experience is not always the case. I gave that a lot of thought myself. I had done pretty much every kind of diet you can fathom. I have often said that I am an expert on dieting. Generally I could lose weight when I tried, but would always gain back as soon as I stopped trying. And, I always stopped trying.

I needed a tool to help me stay on course. Yes, the bypass had a significant impact on my weight loss in the past year. But, the reality is that I have had to make major adjustments. I am hoping that the bypass will continue to assist me in staying on track. I have interacted with a lot of people who have had weight loss surgery and have had varying long-term success. My friend who is 4 years out has done quite well. But, sadly, I think that your observation is valid, there are many who find ways to defeat the benefits of the surgery. I admit that I worry about this.

The different programs and even the surgeons within the programs have different protocols. I participate in several online support groups and I read many stories of people doing and eating things that I was explicitly told to avoid. Then they follow-up with questions about why they are not losing or are gaining. I try not to be a hypocrite. I am in the honeymoon phase. I wouldn't use me as an example until I have several more years under my belt.

The key thing, though, is education. I think we are all a bit like minded on this forum. We all tend to analyze things and research. This, to me, has been important on my journey. My doctor has made comments before about me being too knowledgeable. The guidance that they provide suggests that most patience do not do their homework first. The insurance companies are getting smarter on this. On one hand, it could be viewed as them trying to get out of paying. But, in some ways, it could be argued that they are trying to make sure that we are suitable for the program. They require appointments with the nutritionist, psychiatrist, supervised diet (often 6 months prior to approval), and a great deal of testing. They will pay for most, if not all of it. So, aside from the inconvenience, it is really just hassle. Hopefully some people learn something they didn't already know. Other people might give up before the surgery. The worse scenario is to go into the surgery and live with regret or failure. It is major surgery. It is laparoscopic, but is still not trivial.

I am 5'9" and started this journey at 303 lbs. I was down to 273 at the time of the surgery (due in part that my gallbladder decided to go south before my weight loss surgery could be scheduled. I managed to nurse it along and had it removed at the same time as the bypass. I am now in the 155 lb range. I am smaller than I ever expected. Smaller than I really want to be. My surgeon just informed me that I will gain some back. He said it is inevitable and part of the normal cycle. I am OK with that. I would probably be more comfortable in the 175 range. My surgeon, however, originally told me that I should be pleased at 200. So, clearly I exceeded his expectations as well. So, in short, it is not clear where this will settle out. For now, though, I feel so much better. My back is much happier. I am off all prescription meds. I will be on vitamins forever, but it seems that most people I know end up on a vitamin regime at some point in their life.

If you have any more questions, please ask. I put this out there and am happy to share. I have fairly thick skin, so I doubt any question will offend me.

Lee

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on your loss. You are a stronger man than I. I have always been heavy. Weighed 240 when graduated high school. Now 420 and have been for 20 years. Looked into the surgery you had and decided not to do it in 98. I talked about the lap band also. How long were you off work after the surgery??? It's fate this pops up now. Having a surgical debridment and skin graft this Monday on a wound on lower leg. Good luck and keep it up.
I was out for 3 weeks. I have a desk job and honestly could have gone back after 2. I stayed the 3 because that was already approved for short term disability.

My brother who was well over 420 just had the same surgery in Sept. He had already lost 90 lbs before he had the surgery. He was also suffering from a wound on his lower leg that had been treated for over 18 months. He needed the surgery more than me.

I know people who have tried the lap band, the sleeve, and still ended up with gastric bypass. Everyone is different, but for me, if I was going to do it, I wanted the big gun.

Good luck,

Lee

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
OK the thing with me is I find it a hassle to eat and don't enjoy the process. I eat only to stay alive and can go with out food for a long time or at least I used to. Now I get hungry around food time. The rest of my family totally enjoys eating and never will miss a meal. To them it is a ritual and love there sauces, butters and deserts. My Mother would do a blood test and say great I can have another piece of cake to eat? She loved food to the fullest. If you can beat loving food it is easy to lose and keep off the weight. Eating slower helps gives you a chance to get the full feeling before you feel bloated eating to much. Not having fast food is a great way to do it, not drinking sodas or candy none of these are things I do. Teaching yourself to not over eat is a long slow process trying to hard is depressing and the biggest thing is moderation you do not have to give up everything just not eat double the amount and go back for that second helping. After a while it is easy to do because it becomes a way of life to eat that way. Just eat good food and leave out the excess toppings that have all the calories. Dose not help to eat a salad for lunch and pile on the dressings. It may be hard but if I can quit 5-6 hydrocodone a day for pain in 24 hours it can be done! Not the most fun but they had control of me and made my life miserable. Been a long time since I took a pain pill and never will go back to those again!! Alcohol was easy got to drunk one night sat up in bed and went down stairs and dumped it down the drain 34 years ago. Ciggs was a real hard one to quit till a doctor said it was to late your dying I told him I can do it now and just quit cold turkey because it was time and I was ready been over 2 years now. Man it is nice to breath good! Still want one once in a while but I know better then to light one up I will be addicted again. It is all in your mind and how you want to live or not die sooner. No pill will help I tried before you just quit at first it is not easy but ending up in the hospital for lung problems is worse! It was weird my doctor cared and said he felt bad I was dying so soon! Kind of freaked me out!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
A couple weeks ago, I started to read about the Ketogenic diet,,
when I started reading, I could not believe it,, THAT was my way of eating before I was out of high school.

People were constantly telling me I needed carbs and vegetables,,, :banghead:
so I learned to eat them,, I hated any type of dessert,,, :dunno:

So, now, the wife and I are on the Keto diet,, I love it,, whether I loose weight or not,, :bigthumb:

I know I can stick to this method of eating,, it is how I grew up,, but, that is another story,,

I have not had over 13 grams of carbs per day since Nov 25th,,,
My eating is now HAPPY, not suffering,, I have had 36 hour stretches with ZERO interest in food,, let alone hunger,,
the wife cooks the burgers, I eat them,, I could care less if I EVER see another piece of bread,,,

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK the thing with me is I find it a hassle to eat and don't enjoy the process. I eat only to stay alive and can go with out food for a long time or at least I used to. Now I get hungry around food time. The rest of my family totally enjoys eating and never will miss a meal. To them it is a ritual and love there sauces, butters and deserts. My Mother would do a blood test and say great I can have another piece of cake to eat? She loved food to the fullest. If you can beat loving food it is easy to lose and keep off the weight. Eating slower helps gives you a chance to get the full feeling before you feel bloated eating to much. Not having fast food is a great way to do it, not drinking sodas or candy none of these are things I do. Teaching yourself to not over eat is a long slow process trying to hard is depressing and the biggest thing is moderation you do not have to give up everything just not eat double the amount and go back for that second helping. After a while it is easy to do because it becomes a way of life to eat that way. Just eat good food and leave out the excess toppings that have all the calories. Dose not help to eat a salad for lunch and pile on the dressings. It may be hard but if I can quit 5-6 hydrocodone a day for pain in 24 hours it can be done! Not the most fun but they had control of me and made my life miserable. Been a long time since I took a pain pill and never will go back to those again!! Alcohol was easy got to drunk one night sat up in bed and went down stairs and dumped it down the drain 34 years ago. Ciggs was a real hard one to quit till a doctor said it was to late your dying I told him I can do it now and just quit cold turkey because it was time and I was ready been over 2 years now. Man it is nice to breath good! Still want one once in a while but I know better then to light one up I will be addicted again. It is all in your mind and how you want to live or not die sooner. No pill will help I tried before you just quit at first it is not easy but ending up in the hospital for lung problems is worse! It was weird my doctor cared and said he felt bad I was dying so soon! Kind of freaked me out!
You definitely have a handle on the struggle. I have always been more like your family. I like to eat. I can be eating a meal and talking about (or at least thinking about) the next meal. I like to cook. I like to host and food is always a major part of any social event for me. One of my failed attempts before this surgery was a prescription drug called Contrave. The doctor explained that one of the active ingredients had proven success for opioid addiction. The concept was that it took away the "joy" or pleasure that you received when imbibing on your addition. No such luck for me. The surgery, especially at first, was more successful in doing that. I still get to eat things that I like, but the limitations and impacts of the surgery make eating more of a chore than it ever was before. There are certain foods that make me very uncomfortable very fast. I can't drink while I am eating. I am not supposed to drink within 30 minutes of eating (before or after). This is probably the hardest adjustment. I also have to eat more often since I am limited in volume when I do it. So, I spend a lot of time planning my next move! Fluid intake is now a mission for me. I need a lot more fluids than I ever consumed before (I actually live the recommendation of 80+ ounces per day). I gave up caffeine before the surgery because of the hydration challenge. I needed something to force the mentality that you have about food.

Lee

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
I am just lucky and eat all I want and never diet but still stay 130 lbs 19% BM not sure why but this is what my body wants to stay at the last 50 years. I have never been over weight but can't say that for the rest of my family there all over 250 lbs. some pushing 300! I am pretty hyper but do like my chair to sit in also.
Kind of similar here. I am the same weight and height that I was as a senior in high school - never varied more than 5# in those 40 years. I just eat what I want and have never done any diet of any kind. And I don’t like vegetables or fruit - just basically meat and potatoes.

6’1” and 225#. Since this stupid BMI index thing it shows me being way overweight. I don’t care and my doc for the past 25 years has never said a word about it.

And like you said - I just eat because I am hungry. Meal time is not an event like for some folks - I eat because I have to. Even with a wife all these years who is a fantastic cook.

I’ve been very active all my life including my work. That was until about 6 years ago when I came down with a nasty cast of Rheumatoid Arthritis which stopped me in my tracks. Now I can do some light physical activity for about 1 hour a day and then I am down in my chair for the rest of the day. But with this big change in activity has also come a change in my appetite - just don’t have it anymore. I almost have to force myself to eat at every meal time but know I have to so I still eat a little something at each meal time and have a couple small snacks during the day.

Guess I am lucky. I see we have a few people who really struggle here. I can imagine the stress involved with that. To me the worse thing anyone can have as far as health is stress.

This got me to thinking - we’ve never had a scale in our house. The only time I get weighed is at my regular doctor visits. And even then I usually don’t look at the display.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,655 Posts
Congratulations ljnelson109, good for you. :thumbup1gif: I'm sort of jealous.
BTW, Not to sound crude but I can have your old clothes? :munch: :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts