Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea how much weight is on the FRONT wheels of a z915b? I'm still thinking of a Mojack lift and they are available in 300, 500 and 750 pound capacity models. Prices on Amazon vary from $208 to $283 to $450. Want to be sure I'm safe but don't want to pay for lift capacity unless it is necessary.

Specs for the z915b say the TOTAL weight varies from 1100 to 1178 lb. I would assume that's for the 48" to the 60" widths. Mine is 60".

My gut feeling tells me the 500 lb capacity model would be adequate for my z915b. Just need some input from the forum to be sure my weight estimate is close to reasonable . . .

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts
I’m not sure about mine, but I would go with the 500lb version just for some wiggle room. I’d feel safer with more capacity. I use a floor jack under the front edge of the deck. Works pretty well.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's exactly my thinking, Jason. Just don't see any real justification for the 750 pound capacity model which is considerably more expensive. But, want to be sure I'm not overlooking something obvious . . . :unknown:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
ralphtt, Owning a Z915B also, I agree with dieselshadow.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Stan. I'm really hoping someone has put the front wheels of a z915b on a scale so we can get an accurate weight. If that doesn't materialize I can certain go with an educated guess. IMO, Old Cajun overestimated the front end weight of his 997 but in this case that is the correct type of error. Certainly don't want to grossly underestimate the weight. :nunu:

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
They way I look at it for guesstimating......

If your machine weighs 1178# 50% of that makes 589#. No we all know that there is no way the front end weighs 1/2 the total weight. So I vote for the 500# lift also.

But I know I would like a real number also - after all you will be crawling underneath it......

·
Registered
440 Posts
My Z710A sets (front wheels) on a MoJack EZ lift as of now in the garage. I have limited space for the Z710A, so, I use the MoJack lift and drive the front wheels onto the wheels pads. I've use this lift since I bought it new July 2013 week after I bought the Z710A to raise the mower to remove the mower blades to be sharpen. Had no trouble lifting the Ztrak with this MoJack lift. I use a 18 volt cordless power drill with 3/8" square drive to raise and lower the jack.

If I were guessing the weight on the front on the Z710A with 54" deck, I would say it weighs about 140 lbs.

I happen to be in Wichita, Kansas one day I drove by the mfg, place. Went in to see what they had and ended up buying one at that time..$195.00 in a carton

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
You should check out Mojack at Home Depot. I ordered one they them for my son.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Keith & Drifter . . .
The Mojack shown in the video Keith suggested is the same one stocked locally by Home Depot. Seems to work well on a larger JD zero turn so I'm going to Home Depot to take a look.
Only question remaining is precisely where you put the jack stands and how accessible the blades would be with the jack stands in position. Hope to determine that by taking a close look at the Mojack.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
Thanks Keith & Drifter . . .
The Mojack shown in the video Keith suggested is the same one stocked locally by Home Depot. Seems to work well on a larger JD zero turn so I'm going to Home Depot to take a look.
Only question remaining is precisely where you put the jack stands and how accessible the blades would be with the jack stands in position. Hope to determine that by taking a close look at the Mojack.
I'd also surf the lawnsite to see what other info they had.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I just use a floor jack and a few jack stands.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I haven't been on Lawnsite much lately but they have a lot of good information there on Zero Turns in general. Even though I am not in the commercial mowing business they were a lot of help when I was buying my ZTrak and for things like turning me to the Gator G6 blades and such. If there is anything I don't like about the ZTrak is that it is much harder to change the blades than my X585. I have a 4 post hoist that I drove my tractor on all the time for under the deck maintenance. I would just run it up in the air. While I can put the ZTrak on the hoist, the platforms are too far apart and the offset of the front wheels, not to mention the fact that they are casters so they spin around when backing off make it tricky.

For me I have a 4x4 post that I put under the frame just behind the front casters. I then use a 3ton jack to lift the front. Then before getting under there I put jack stands under the front edge of the mower deck and lower it just to stabilize everything. Then I never fully get under the machine. I can reach the middle blade from either side and can knock off the big chunks of grass. For a more detailed cleaning I take the extra time about once a year to wrestle it on the 4 post.

I am sure you know this but JD does have an optional jack that mounts to the front of the machine. It is one of those hand crank tongue jack style devices. I was always wondering if someone could look into how it was mounted and come up with a similar mount to that but use one of the power tongue jacks that are used on RVs. I wouldn't want to leave something like that on the mower but it could be made to be removable. The one we have on the camper is pretty nice. It has position recall where you could hook it up, and hit one button to raise it to whatever height you used in the past.

The problem I have is I suspect that it is designed to mount to the frame area between the casters. I have the front suitcase weight bracket there so I can load my machine down with the suitcase weights when I run the MCS. So it is probably using all those mounting locations. I don't trust lifting my machine from that bracket. It is bolted pretty solid but it is designed for 6 suitcase weights so that is only 252#. It is probably double that. My deck is a bit heavier than yours as well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
I haven't been on Lawnsite much lately but they have a lot of good information there on Zero Turns in general. Even though I am not in the commercial mowing business they were a lot of help when I was buying my ZTrak and for things like turning me to the Gator G6 blades and such. If there is anything I don't like about the ZTrak is that it is much harder to change the blades than my X585. I have a 4 post hoist that I drove my tractor on all the time for under the deck maintenance. I would just run it up in the air. While I can put the ZTrak on the hoist, the platforms are too far apart and the offset of the front wheels, not to mention the fact that they are casters so they spin around when backing off make it tricky.

For me I have a 4x4 post that I put under the frame just behind the front casters. I then use a 3ton jack to lift the front. Then before getting under there I put jack stands under the front edge of the mower deck and lower it just to stabilize everything. Then I never fully get under the machine. I can reach the middle blade from either side and can knock off the big chunks of grass. For a more detailed cleaning I take the extra time about once a year to wrestle it on the 4 post.

I am sure you know this but JD does have an optional jack that mounts to the front of the machine. It is one of those hand crank tongue jack style devices. I was always wondering if someone could look into how it was mounted and come up with a similar mount to that but use one of the power tongue jacks that are used on RVs. I wouldn't want to leave something like that on the mower but it could be made to be removable. The one we have on the camper is pretty nice. It has position recall where you could hook it up, and hit one button to raise it to whatever height you used in the past.

The problem I have is I suspect that it is designed to mount to the frame area between the casters. I have the front suitcase weight bracket there so I can load my machine down with the suitcase weights when I run the MCS. So it is probably using all those mounting locations. I don't trust lifting my machine from that bracket. It is bolted pretty solid but it is designed for 6 suitcase weights so that is only 252#. It is probably double that. My deck is a bit heavier than yours as well.
Lawnsite is my go to site for mower information.

I'm gonna try that, thanks.
Our Toro Z-Master had a similar bolt on unit. Sure was handy.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,844 Posts
Thanks, Stan. I'm really hoping someone has put the front wheels of a z915b on a scale so we can get an accurate weight. If that doesn't materialize I can certain go with an educated guess. IMO, Old Cajun overestimated the front end weight of his 997 but in this case that is the correct type of error. Certainly don't want to grossly underestimate the weight. :nunu:
The 997 Z Trak weighs in at 2000 Lbs. with a 72" 7 Iron deck.

Figured at least 850 Lbs. to 1000 Lbs. on initial pickup, the front end weight will drop off as you lift since the engine is
behind the rear wheels, in my case a diesel engine.
I figured I would be pushing the upper limits of even the heavy duty Mojack on initial lifting and wasn't impressed with the thickness
of the square tubing they used for that heavy of a machine.
Also figured I could build something a lot stronger for a little cheaper than they were asking for it.

I tend to *overbuild* strength wise, but if I'm going to be under that heavy sucker, overbuilding is good. :laugh:

·
Registered
640 Posts
I do it the redneck way (probably not safe way). Just throw a towing chain around the front wheel post and attach it to the tractor bucket and lift it until it bottoms out on the back bumper. Works great!

Reactions: Gizmo2 and goat704!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I do it the redneck way (probably not safe way). Just throw a towing chain around the front wheel post and attach it to the tractor bucket and lift it until it bottoms out on the back bumper. Works great!

I love those old fashion ways of getting things done without any modern technology. I do that with my '49 Ford 8N with the hydraulic lift when I clean or repair anything on the '99 JD345..just hook a log chain on the rear and raise it till the front wheels almost come off the ground. Don't have to worry about it falling on me with this setup. I use my electric presser washer to clean the under carriage area. I done the same on my 2012 Z710A. Both looks like the day they both arrived at the dealer showroom.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts