Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I bought a new X380 last summer and was considering adding rv/marine antifreeze to the rear wheels. The reason being I wanted to help smooth out our lawn plus gain a bit of traction and stability. The machine has the Kanzaki K58 transaxle.

What are the thoughts on the extra load on the trans axle? Will weighted tires cause premature wear and tear on the ole girl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
Howdy, I bought a new X380 last summer and was considering adding rv/marine antifreeze to the rear wheels. The reason being I wanted to help smooth out our lawn plus gain a bit of traction and stability. The machine has the Kanzaki K58 transaxle.

What are the thoughts on the extra load on the trans axle? Will weighted tires cause premature wear and tear on the ole girl?
Adding antifreeze to the tires should add somewhere around 46 lbs. per tire. You could get 50 lbs. per tire with an iron wheel weight. I doubt the extra weight will do much to smooth the lawn unless your ground is really soft. I don't think you have anything to worry about with extra load or wear on the transaxle. Adding weight to the tires is less stress on the drive train than adding weight to the chassis.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Howdy,

The answer is in your owner's manual. For what it's worth, I would have thought it would have been okay. However, it appears it is a BAD IDEA!!! So, don't do it!:bigthumb:

OMM174378

Here's a copy and paste of the "Using Weights" section:

Using Weights
CAUTION: Avoid injury! The machine may become unstable when operating on slopes and/or with some attachments.

Use weights to improve stability when operating on slopes or using attachments.

Remove weights when not required.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Never use liquid in tires or wheel weights as ballast. Transmission damage can occur.

When rear ballast is needed, use only the approved rear weight bracket and attaching weights.

NOTE: See your authorized dealer for recommended weights.

Install front weights for added stability and steering control when you use equipment such as the rear-mounted grass bagger.
Install rear weights when using the snow blade or snowblower.
Remove weights when not required.

EDIT: You'll probably void your warranty as well if something were to happen with them loaded.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Never use liquid in tires or wheel weights as ballast. Transmission damage can occur.
The same verbiage is in the X500 AND X700 owner's manual. JD sells wheel weights for the X3/X5/X7 lawn/garden tractors.

:dunno:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Use different mowing patterns each time you cut. If you can anyway. To me some lots/spots only have one mowing solution.
This will help keep ruts to a minimum.

Had a retention pond to cut so the bottom was frequently soft. I used my Wrangler to pull out some sticker bushes one season. Even with 4X4 and almost bald tires it still left some good ruts. Kept cutting across the ruts eventually flattened out the ground.

I just use suitcase weights for ballast. Because they are easy to put on and take off. Compared to wheel weights anyway.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
The problem with adding liquid to the tires is its always there,weights can be taken on and off.If it was a tractor that did loader work and was used with attachments a lot then yes.But for lawn mowers no.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
The problem with adding liquid to the tires is its always there,weights can be taken on and off.If it was a tractor that did loader work and was used with attachments a lot then yes.But for lawn mowers no.
But that's not the issue. The manual is warning not to use liquid OR wheel weights on X3, X5 or X7 tractors. Yet JD sells wheel weight kits for all three series.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
But that's not the issue. The manual is warning not to use liquid OR wheel weights on X3, X5 or X7 tractors. Yet JD sells wheel weight kits for all three series.
With my 345 and X595 they say to ballast with attachments.Bagger on, use front weight,snow blower rear weight and wheel weight and chains,same for the loader.Most of the ballast is in the attachment manuals.They don't want weight on (wheel or suitcase) when not needed.That's why there meant to be taken on and off.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The more a wheel assembly weighs the harder it is to start and stop turning.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
The more a wheel assembly weighs the harder it is to start and stop turning.
I must be missing something then. :) JD sells factory wheel weights for ALL of the lawn / garden tractors but then puts a warning in all the operator's manuals to NEVER use them. Eh? :dunno:

wheel_weights.jpg

·
Registered
554 Posts
I must be missing something then. :) JD sells factory wheel weights for ALL of the lawn / garden tractors but then puts a warning in all the operator's manuals to NEVER use them. Eh? :dunno:

View attachment 567985
Prolly have to ask JD. We didn't write manuals nor decide what they offer for what model. Either error in the manuals or error in the offering, right? A bit of a catch 22.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Prolly have to ask JD. We didn't write manuals nor decide what they offer for what model. Either error in the manuals or error in the offering, right? A bit of a catch 22.
Unfortunately I have also seen the same thing many times in the bike business. Just because the part fits doesn't mean it should. lol
Many times it is just a matter of legality or catalog mistakes.
So remove your wheel weights and liquid ballast before taking the unit in for a transmission failure.

I would trust the owners manual over the accessories catalog. Seeing it was printed at a later date.

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
I would trust the owners manual over the accessories catalog. Seeing it was printed at a later date.
I was just using that catalog entry as an example. Every accessory catalog ever printed shows wheel weights. JD has been selling factory wheel weights for lawn tractors almost as long as they've been selling lawn tractors. There is something amiss with those owner's manual warnings. I mean all I have to do is just look around the neighborhood... wheel weights and lawn tractors go together like eggs and bacon.

But... at the end of the day it's up to the owner as to what they want to do.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Unfortunately I have also seen the same thing many times in the bike business. Just because the part fits doesn't mean it should. lol
Many times it is just a matter of legality or catalog mistakes.
So remove your wheel weights and liquid ballast before taking the unit in for a transmission failure.

My 2520 manual states it should take 3 quarts of oil. In reality, it takes over 4.

YMMV... :dunno:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I was just using that catalog entry as an example. Every accessory catalog ever printed shows wheel weights. JD has been selling factory wheel weights for lawn tractors almost as long as they've been selling lawn tractors. There is something amiss with those owner's manual warnings. I mean all I have to do is just look around the neighborhood... wheel weights and lawn tractors go together like eggs and bacon.

It's also up to the dealership on what they would cover. Are they willing to look the other way and fix your transmission? (And not tell JD you were running wheel weights) However if the second trans fails do to WW's nobody is getting paid.
Or are they going to flag your vin so no other dealership will touch your warranty unit with a 10' pole? (Because they won't get paid)

Agreed that wheel ballast has been around for years and works.

I would be very interested to see what JD corporate says about the WW issue.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
My 2520 manual states it should take 3 quarts of oil. In reality, it takes over 4.

YMMV... :dunno:
Are you sure you are taking quarts and not liters?

It would not be the first time I seen a dipstick read wrong. Heck a lot of new cars don't even come with one. lol

·
Registered
554 Posts

I would get it writing from my John Deere dealer before I used them. Gotta CYA!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Are you sure you are taking quarts and not liters?

It would not be the first time I seen a dipstick read wrong. Heck a lot of new cars don't even come with one. lol

Sorry, yes, liters. I was getting alarmed because the dipstick was barely reading at 3 liters and I kept adding from the jug. I had to look it up and sure enough, JD has a history of copy-pasting manuals from other machines, without changing some of the key details.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts