Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 647 tiller and will be making good use of it in the up coming seasons. Do you need front weights or is the loader enough weight? If the loader is taken off how much weight would you recommend? Is a bracket also needed to be purchased? Thanks! Can't get enough of this website but reading it just cost more. ?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I have the 1025r with H120 Loader. I find it is more than enough weight. In fact several times I have tilled without the H120 on and had no problems.

Eric Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO
Krugerville, TX, USA
John Deere 1025r

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have add that our soil is more on the clay side. That might make a big difference to a sandy soil.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've got videos of my King Kutter XB 4' tiller both ways.

The first one with no front weights.

In this one, I have the FEL without the bucket as suggested by NEWT.

In my small garden, I prefer to work without the loader due to overall length of the tractor. I can't turn nearly as short due to the light front end. Optimally, I would use some front weights to help with the turning.

If you have a QH Blade, you'll need the custom weight bracket from Heavy Hitch (one of our vendors). It attaches to the quick hitch brackets and is easily removable.
If not, you can get a front weight bracket from JD.

Tim

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
I have a Curtis 150 Tiller that is bigger then what you have and use 5 weights on the front. Works fine. If I was you unless you have lots of room I'd use weights. 5 should do it which is what fits on the front. If you want more weights you can get a weight bar as stated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've got videos of my King Kutter XB 4' tiller both ways.

The first one with no front weights.

In this one, I have the FEL without the bucket as suggested by NEWT.

In my small garden, I prefer to work without the loader due to overall length of the tractor. I can't turn nearly as short due to the light front end. Optimally, I would use some front weights to help with the turning.

If you have a QH Blade, you'll need the custom weight bracket from Heavy Hitch (one of our vendors). It attaches to the quick hitch brackets and is easily removable.
If not, you can get a front weight bracket from JD.

Tim
Loved the video, it's fantastic to see your daughter learning gardening & her commentary is fun to hear :)
Say Thanks to neighbor Bob for me too. Great of him to help teach as well.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Neighbor Bob has definitely been a blessing to our family.

He recently moved to an assisted living faciility. However, he says he will continue to plant his greenhouse plants next spring (here at his house). We hope so.

We intend to plant his garden if he is unable, but hopefully he can help, even if it means simply sitting in a chair and watching.

Tim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Neighbor Bob has definitely been a blessing to our family.

He recently moved to an assisted living faciility. However, he says he will continue to plant his greenhouse plants next spring (here at his house). We hope so.

We intend to plant his garden if he is unable, but hopefully he can help, even if it means simply sitting in a chair and watching.

Tim
I hope Bob can participate as well. If you need someone to sit in a chair and watch others work - I was a Sgt. in the USAF, so I am WELL TRAINED in doing that. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts