Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was moving and spreading a little rock for the driveway this afternoon, and suddenly noticed that the steering effort had gone down by halfish. It stayed much lighter for the rest of the time that I was working. Didnt notice any difference in the 3 point or loader. The only thing I can think of is a dirty suction screen allowing flow variations. My dealer did the 50 hour service so I ASSUME they cleaned it. Thoughts? 1025r, 137 hours. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Check the fluid level. Connecting implements on and off you lose a little, maybe you have gotten low enough that it affected your steering. Did you notice any other hydraulic functions lacking?

Reactions: userjh160

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check it and it was fine. All other hydraulics seemed to function normally. It's like there was a problem, and now there's not.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
It will do that when the FEL is loaded heavy. More weight on the front end the harder it is to turn at times. When mine does that I know to add more weight to the back.

·
Premium Member
14,885 Posts
It will do that when the FEL is loaded heavy. More weight on the front end the harder it is to turn at times. When mine does that I know to add more weight to the back.
What you said plus raise the front tire pressure if you haven't done so.

Reactions: Levi and userjh160

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm sorry, I guess I'm not explaining the situation clearly. Between one bucket and the next, the steering effort dramatically decreased for no apparent reason, like there was a flow restriction that had cleared or something similar. Tire pressures are good, rear ballast hadn't changed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm sorry, I guess I'm not explaining the situation clearly. Between one bucket and the next, the steering effort dramatically decreased for no apparent reason, like there was a flow restriction that had cleared or something similar. Tire pressures are good, rear ballast hadn't changed.

So the power steering kicked into overdrive and made steering easier correct? Like prior to the steering becoming easier there was an obstruction or otherwise a reduced flow in the power steering assist mechanism right?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the power steering kicked into overdrive and made steering easier correct? Like prior to the steering becoming easier there was an obstruction or otherwise a reduced flow in the power steering assist mechanism right?
Exactly!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

No new oil leaks?

·
Registered
474 Posts
So I doubt that it would be the screen in the rear. If it were to blame the flow to all of your hydraulics would have suffered. I also suspect that you would have heard the pump making noise from cavatation.

My assumption would be that something in the lines supplying or returning from the power steering actuators freed up or the proportioning valve in the power steering system is going bad or cleared whatever was blocking it.

Does it steer like new or better than new? Does it continue to steer "better"?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't find any new leaks, but really didn't look very hard. I'll be able to take a better look at it this evening. I honestly don't remember exactly how the steering effort was when it was new, but if I had to answer, I'd say that now it's maybe a little better than new.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'd run it and not worry too much about it. If something is going to fail, it already started and you won't find it until it does.

My gut feeling is that something was restricting the flow and now it isn't. That was either some FOD (Foreign Object or Debris) or a factory installed restrictor that isn't there anymore!

If it were the later I would think there would be other issues like you can't steer when raising the FEL or something like that. There would be no other reason to offer a port restrictor over a simple line or fitting size to accomplish the same task.

Reactions: userjh160

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't answer the question, but satisfied my curiosity......decided to change the tranny fluid to see if the dealership had cleaned the suction screen. They had not,the rubber tube was still painted on, but it wasn't very bad at all, no sealant like I've seen on others, just some very fine metal particles. Had a heck of a time getting those clamps up enough to remove the tube though.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Doesn't answer the question, but satisfied my curiosity......decided to change the tranny fluid to see if the dealership had cleaned the suction screen. They had not,the rubber tube was still painted on, but it wasn't very bad at all, no sealant like I've seen on others, just some very fine metal particles. Had a heck of a time getting those clamps up enough to remove the tube though.

It sounds like you should have a discussion with your dealer. They probably just drained the hydraulic oil and refilled with new without removing and cleaning the suction screen. Be sure to get those clamps back in place. If that hose isn't connected tight, the pump will cavitate (suck air). I replaced those spring clamps with quality worm screw hose clamps.
That all said, I'm not sure that this is what caused the issue with your steering. Like others have said, probably just a glitch.

I've included the 1025R hyd. schematic and steering theory of operation.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you. I got everything back into its original position. I also had it in mind to replace those clamps with the gear type next time around.

·
Super Moderator
8,134 Posts
It might be a good idea to get under the front of the tractor and check the steering cylinder hoses and steel hydraulic lines. The 1 Series hoses have been known to kink and or abrade. You might have something going on under there.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to try to do that today. If there aren't any issues there, I'm just going to chalk it up to my imagination and not worry about it. My dealer does a 4 yr full coverage warranty, so I've got about 3 years left if something is on its way out.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
When under normal operation you should be able to the turn the steering wheel with the palm of your hand. If it takes more effor than that you have something wrong. It does take a little more effort to turn the wheel if the machine is not in motion.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The wheel is not hard to turn by any means. Just experienced that brief period where it seemed overboosted. If I don't find anything up front with the steering lines and cylinder, I'm not going to worry about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts