Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to my shed, its a 6x9m colourbond steel shed, with a 9x6m carport bolted on the front and a 3x9m extension strapped on the side...I still need more room.... or less stuff?

We moved out to our couple of acres a few km from town about 9 years ago, I started a few projects, then got sent interstate with the Air Force for 3 years and my projects all stalled. By the time I got back home, termites had had a good chew on the old house and my shed had somehow got filled with junk.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tractor

I managed to get some extensions done to the shed so I have somewhere to park the car, but between getting the new house built, starting demolition on the old one and no room to move inside, not much has been achieved. Somehow I have managed to wedge my new 1025R in there, but there wasn't any room to do any work and a bit of ducking and weaving is needed to get past it.

Before picking up the tractor I had scored a grader blade for $300, which I thought was a bargain. It was a few years old, but sat in a guys shed and never used, but was chinese, so you always roll the dice a bit there.
On the dirt at my place it worked pretty well, but I lent it to a mate that has a drive around 400m long and it didn't cope quite so well.

Plant Vertebrate Leaf Nature Wood

The 5mm steel has the structural strength of dried cheese and bent a bit (lot). The shear loads on the locking pin also flogged out the hole it was pinned through.
Now, If I was a design engineer, I'd make the pin the weak bit, but it has only had the plating worn off it. Replace the blade and re-use the pin?

Paint Wood Art Art paint Tints and shades
Cylinder Gas Auto part Paint Pipe

There was no way beating on it with a hammer was going to straighten anything and it was still going to be rubbish steel where higher strength stuff should be, so nothing else for it, have to cut the top plate off the blade and replace it.

A made a start on it yesterday, but ran out of daylight. Today it was raining:(*.
No time like the present, time to make some workroom. Ride-on and the mulcher got pushed around the side and now I had some room to work.

Plant Motor vehicle Tree Gas Asphalt

I started opening stuff and having a good cull. I found a removals box of stuff from my wife's work desk. She packed it when we moved...12 years ago:rolleyes:.
I managed to compress 3 removalist boxes of crap no one obviously cared about into 1 plastic tub of stuff probably worth keeping, so there is a win.
Multiple 1/2 used 5L bottles of oil, my back up compressor, fuel drums and a couple of milk crates of paint rattle cans packed away nicely into the $50 shelves and all of a sudden I have some work space(y).Probably not the best plan to have the welder next to the petrol, I might move that later :oops:

Its a bit of an improvement
Motor vehicle Wheel Plant Building Gas

I hope no one else has any rubbish though as the wheelie bin is as full as a tick.

So I finish cutting the pivot plate off and a mate cut me a new one from 8mm structural steel. Now I need to drill some holes for the 20mm locking pin.

I have a fair selection of drills, most sizes from 1mm up to 15mm and 25-30mm, but not the 20 or even 21mm or anything that is close enough in imperial... Bugger, looks like another trip to the hardware store.
Living out of town is great, until you need stuff and its a hour trip, minimum. My son is off at his mates place, so I'll grab one on the way to pick him up (The neighbours probably think its a terrorist training camp, 6-10 teenagers in chest rig and automatic gel blasters... what could go wrong?).

Fire brigade duties tomorrow, but hopefully tomorrow afternoon will see some progress.

*Only rained for a few minutes, enough to make working outside like a sauna.

Other projects to finish:

Finish installing the air-conditioner in the garage
Fix sons gel blaster
Home made Land Plane
Horse drawn seeder conversion to tractor implement, I like this one, probably 100+ years old, but fully functional and even has the rotating seed plates with it... and heavy.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

HJ45 Landcruiser Restoration: Rusty bucket of bolts that spent too long at the beach.
Fix the generator I set alight :oops:
Demolish the old house
Concrete the carport

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Started with an early start today, rolled out of bed at 6 to go and play firefighter for the morning. Pile burns give us a opportunity to give new people experience at responding to fires, but in slow time. Big pile of brush in a guys front yard, close to a road, under trees and power-lines, so it it really got going it would black out 1/2 the town. It was very foggy this morning and everything was soggy and the fire didn't want to do much, so we went through a couple of gallons of drip torch fuel getting it to even light. :rolleyes:

Got home mid morning, reeking of smoke and headed to the shed. I'd got my 20mm drill last night and was ready to do battle, but 1st to dust off the coat rack that also does a passable job as a pedestal drill.

Wood Building Gas Machine Bag

Using the pivot plate as a template I spotted a hole with the big drill, pilot holed it with a 1/8" and then drilled them with the 20mm. Once it was through I dropped the pin in, clamped the 2 together, spotted all the holes, pulled it apart and then did the pilot and drilling thing for the rest.
It wasn't precision work as the plate is pretty badly bucked and there was some misalignment, but looks close enough.

Art paint Road surface Paint Wood Art

After lunch I tried to remember how to weld. I was trained and employed as a certified aircraft welder for a while, but looking at my work today the company would probably want to sue me for fraud/accepting money under false pretenses. I was having gas issues, wire feed issues, porosity like you wouldn't believe, so I chucked it in an untidy pile and walked away for a while.

Liquid Water Fluid Wood Paint

Lots of grinding to clean off my disgusting welds and all the paint, got it back to nice clean metal again and I had another go... only to run out of wire.

Lucky I had a new roll handy, so changed that and all of a sudden I could weld again... or the proper preparation was 3/4 of the reason. The old roll had been in the machine for around 5 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was corrosion, dust and burnt paint that was making it hard. And the fact my eyes have gone and I've forgotten most of what I knew.

Water Plant Liquid Icicle Tree

The works supervisor kept dropping in to see what I was doing, not sure if the welder sounding like frying bacon attracted him.

Tire Wheel Dog Motor vehicle Automotive tire

All back together and I added a brace to the back edge of the top half of the pivot is it had also bent, just nowhere near as badly as the bit on the blade its self. I've also got a big chunk of angle iron I can add along the back of the blade to give it a bit more rigidity and weight, I'll see how it goes.
Only 2 holes needed a speed ream so the pin would drop through, so that was pretty good going.

Plant Grass Groundcover Triangle Model aircraft

All straight again.

Plant Grass Wood Line Brick

Next job is to blast all the crappy paint off and paint it a decent colour. My mate I loaned it to complained as it wasn't quite the right shade to match his Kubota, so he'll really object to green.

It will have to wait a bit as I have 16 tons of road base turning up mid week and a driveway to try and recover from the rutted mess it was last month.

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And a new weekend is upon us.
I had my pile of scrapings delivered (dust to 19mm gravel bits from the crusher, 20mm is what they want, so this stuff is virtually given away), but I haven't been home from work before sundown for the past week.
For the last 2 days it's been showers and the driveway had turned into a mud pit. I got my Saturday morning jobs all done and the rain had held off, so I hooked up the blade and had a go at scraping the drive flat so I could spread the gravel.

5 minutes in this happened :oops:
Its only the town water line to the house, so it looks like we're running of tank water for a bit.

Plant Road surface Asphalt Grass Garden tool

I dragged mud around for a while until I got sand and gravel popping through again and was making good headway until I picked up the 2nd bucket of gravel and started spreading it around.

Now its flogging down rain the driveway is probably worse than when I started and I've retired to the lounge with a coffee for a bit.
Someone should ban rain on the weekends, its so inconvenient:cautious:.

Plant Vehicle Tree Sky Grass

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sun was out today, so I got going and spread around 14 tons of gravel. Its still pretty soggy under foot, but I got a good 2-3" layer down, I've just need to wait for it to bed down a bit more and maybe the rain wash the mud off it all.

Its all a bit neater now and shouldn't need 4x4 to get out of the drive and back into the car port anymore.

Plant Sky Cloud Tree Natural landscape

Plant Plant community Tree Natural environment Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape

Now I can't leave the house as I'll chew up my beautifully manicured driveway.

Next job is to try and teach my 16 year old son how to weld... if he can pry himself away from the computer long enough.

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally! A sunny day:).

We've had what would normally be our average annual rainfall in the past month, so everything is rather soggy. The water leaching out of the hill on the topside of the shed has been flowing through the gravel in front of the shed and turning it into a big soft spot.

Road surface Asphalt Bedrock Plant Groundcover

Going in and out of the car port has been chewing it up, so I decided to run a pipe to drain it past the high traffic area and onto the grass.
I wasn't keen on digging a trench manually and it only had to be around 150mm deep, so I eyed off the grader blade... Angling the blade, the 3PL and shortening the top link as far as it would go got it reasonably deep on the left corner and let me dig a passable ditch that would fit the 90mm downpipe.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Sky

Blade had a higher calling as my mates drive was much worse than mine and 5 times as long, so burying the pipe was a bit harder. Lots of scooping, dumping and back scraping.
It didn't turn out too bad, considering, but as we have more rain forecast for next week, hopefully it will stop it turning into as much of a mud pit.
I'll neaten it all up if Phil ever lets me have my blade back :cautious: .

Sky Cloud Plant Tree Land lot

Tomorrows job: concreting :(

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! That town water line was so close to the surface.. where do you live?
About 40km west of Brisbane, little town called Marburg.
Town water comes to the property boundary and a meter, but as I'm on a rural block its then its up to the landowner to sort it out from there. Black mains pressure poly pipe is the go-to as it is cheap, can handle the pressure and easy to lay with a ripper/pipe layer. We also don't get snow, or even proper frosts so it doesn't have to go deep (but you'd hope it was 1', rather than 2")
I have no idea what the previous owners did with the plumbing, but it wasn't done to any kind of standard and they must have had shares in a poly pipe company. The pipe switches from mains pressure polly to Ag polly (medium pressure and cheaper again) and there are repair joiners everywhere, it seems like everywhere I dig a hole I'll find a pipe as they run to the back of the block, zigzag across the front lawn and disappear randomly into paddocks that don't even have any taps, none that I have found anyway.

I dug a straight 60m ditch to run power underground to the new house and cut the town water pipes in 5 places (and 2 phone lines).

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This weekends mission, in between shopping emergencies and dropping kids off at parties, was to mess about with concrete.

Saturday morning before dropping the blade off to my mate, I used it to level off a patch to extend the path from the house to the shed. I'm getting a slab done every couple of weeks, so its hardly happening at a cracking pace. I've got dogs, cats, chickens (chooks) and kids, so you have to pick the window where they are all occupied and you can get stuck into mixing and laying concrete.
I got a good run at it, all leveled off and went inside to flop on the lounge for a while so it could harden up a bit and I could finish it off.

The wife headed out to feed the chooks and I hear "SORRY!" :oops:

:cry:
Road surface Asphalt Grass Gas Groundcover

So I go out and wave the float around some more, give her the look:cautious: and go and finish my coffee.
20 minutes later I head back out to give it the final float and clean up the edges...

Bloody Hell! I tell you, its a conspiracy :mad:!
Brown Ecoregion Vertebrate Wood Road surface

So I float it all flat again, clean up the edges and use a collection of aluminium ladders to build a fence around it.
Luckily it survives the night and hardens sufficiently before the chickens attack it at dawn.

Sunday's job is improvements to the goat shed. I built it years ago, but they have managed to stomp all the dirt out from under it and with all the rain they had an indoor pool and slept outside. I had some good sized slabs of cement around the old house that aren't much good to anyone and I needed to get rid of, so figured I could slide one into the goat shed and solve two problems in one.

1st job was to break the slab loose from the ground... easier said than done, its been stuck down there for over 30 years and didn't want to come loose. I tried digging around the edges and prising it up with a fencing crowbar and a block of wood, but only managed to bend the 1" steel bar.
Next was getting the bucket under an edge, but all that did was lift the tractor up... More ballast me thinks. It was on the cards, I was just too lazy.

Around the edge of the slab and for a bit of a path I had a stock of clay pavers. They'd do for free ballast and I was going to have to pick them anyway. So I wedged them in the ballast box as best I could, around 70kg as a rough guess. I've got a pile of crusher dust if I think I need more.

Green Wood Rectangle Grass Gas

I still couldn't budge the slab, so resorted to the12000lb recovery winch on my ute (I seem to use it way more for gardening than actual vehicle recoveries, but 'gardening winch' just doesn't have the same ring to it). Ran a loop in a chain to the back corner, fired up the winch, stood on the brakes and it broke loose. We were back in the game
:) .

So now the suction was broken and I had some more weight in the back of the tractor, I could lift a corner of the slab up, bit it wasn't confident I could actually move it anywhere. I tried a chain to the back corner, the nearest corner in the bucket to work as a skid.
If I could just lift it a bit, it should slide along (y)
Plant Vehicle Road surface Asphalt Land lot

Yeah, nah... that didn't work.
So while I was moving some sand to make a bed for the slab to rest on I thought about it.
There was too much friction, so I needed something to slide the cement along, or make some kind of sled... Just so happens I'd just sawn a gate off the old horse yards so I could steal the sand for the goat shed. It looked like it would do the job, so I lifted the slab, slid the gate under and hooked it to the bucket and started skull dragging it down the back.

Plant Plant community Water Green Tree

(y) Plan went well for about 6 feet, then I hit a wet patch and started spinning wheels.
While I was re-positioning to get another go, it occurred to me that tractors are made to pull stuff, so you're going about this all backwards... literally, so I hooked the chain up to the tow point, upped the revs and floored it.

Plant Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar Tree

That worked really well and looking at the yard, you'd hardly know I'd ever been there :oops:

Plant Property Green Tree Fence

So, after a bit of pushing, pulling and mucking about, I slid the old gate out from underneath and now have a concrete slab in the goat shed. Not sure it was easier than pouring a new one, but it was cheaper...including $20+K for the tractor... probably not cheaper either:oops:.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

It seems to have been met with their approval though, even before I was finished, or maybe they are just nosey.

Plant Working animal Tree Fence Grass

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Looks like a proper (not sure if that's an appropriate phrase for Australia 😂) shop to me 👍

The rain this spring has really been mucking up my tractor plans but I need to realize that God gives the rain for crops and I need to have the patience to work around it 🤣. I think it's been the wettest (probably just made that word up) spring ever but I wasn't paying much attention before I got a tractor 🤣

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
We finally got rain after a few years of drought, so I'm not complaining. Unfortunately most of the crops around here went under water and were lost, so if he could average things out a bit better... that would be great.
It seems like it never works out how we want, either too much or too little.

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've just spent the past 3 weeks in Germany and of course it didn't rain at all during that time until I'm 8 hours out of Brisbane.
The split down pipe didn't magically heal its self in that time either, unfortunately. The plumber and I had tracked the split to a corner joiner that was under a dirty great pile of dirt that was moved during construction.

The problem with the soil around here is that it is what we call blacksoil, predominantly a clay that sticks like poo to a blanket and is horrible to do anything with with when it is wet. It sticks to in clumps your boots and digging tools and is just generally painful to work with. It will grow just about anything if you get rain though, so you take the good with the bad.

The first job was to move the dirt pile,I attacked that as pretty much my first job with the tractor and moved it all to a bigger pile behind the shed. I started moving it with a wheelbarrow and a shovel, but that stopped being fun in a hurry, it was also another reason to get a tractor.

Plant Plant community Tree Sky Natural landscape

So the dirt has been gone for a couple of weeks and the water leak was narrowed down to being pretty much right in the middle of where the dirt pile was (of course it would be :cautious:), but it had a chance to dry out and I figured I'd attack it.

The excavation started with digging the bucket in and scooping out the dirt, dumping it, backing out and repeating. This worked pretty well, I got a good sized ditch, but then the water started soaking in and it got muddy really quickly.

All the pipes were buried in the trench in pea gravel. It gives them some wiggle room as the clay dries and moves around, but it also worked like an aquifer and as the clay was pulled from the side, several hundred liters of water that was trapped in the gravel started to flow. It was about then that I slid into the ditch, couldn't drive forward as I had a pile of wet clay there and couldn't get out backwards from the ballast box being wedged into the bank.
A lot of revs, a few choice words and the diff lock I managed to get out.

This was the next morning and it was still draining from the hillside.

Water Plant Water resources Plant community Natural landscape

It had a couple of days to dry out, we're forecast to get a lot more rain and I had a day off, so time for round 2 (3??, I've lost track).
I tried a different tactic this time. The ground was so soft that I could get the bucket and push it edge first into the dirt and curl the bucket and pretty much dig like you would with a garden spade. It worked a treat and got me below the level of the pipe so all the water could drain and I'd have a relatively clean work area. I also had to extend the trench so the water had somewhere to go.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Sky

Did I mention this mud is a bit of a pain to work in?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

I'm a big fan of this McCormak loader, it can dig down a fair way, have to be close to 2.5' right there and the 4 in 1 bucket is handy. I'd like it to be a bit more powerful but I suppose I'm limited by the tractor there.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Tractor

For this edge of the hole closest to the camera I opened the bucket up and scraped the dirt back with the moveable jaw like it was a plane. Worked pretty well, although there was some collateral damage to the pipe as it worked a little too well on one corner.

Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Green

Anyway, pretty sure thats where it is leaking.

Leaf Wood Wall Bedrock Asphalt

and I might fix this bit of maintenance induced damage while I'm in here.

Road surface Wood Plant Asphalt Grass

·
Registered
872 Posts
Thank you for this. Brings back memories of my trips to Australia, Queensland, and Brisbane as well as other locations within your great country!

Reactions: Hoyks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Lookin' good there, @Hoyks. That McCormak loader is a ripper, it's got more dump than my 420 loader, and more curl too I bet.
Have you seen those rubber stormwater pipe joiners? There like a rubber sleeve, which might help with the soil movement if thats a factor. But more likely a machine driving over the pipe was the cause.

And are you going to put some pegs in to mark the pipe? I've used those 25mm square plastic stakes. Black recycled plastic, so it's less offensive to the mower blades.

Reactions: Hoyks

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you seen those rubber stormwater pipe joiners? There like a rubber sleeve, which might help with the soil movement if thats a factor. But more likely a machine driving over the pipe was the cause.

And are you going to put some pegs in to mark the pipe? I've used those 25mm square plastic stakes. Black recycled plastic, so it's less offensive to the mower blades.
It looks like the pipe has twisted and cracked. The pipe was laid in the drought, but its also around 4-5m below where it empties into the water tank, so a fair head of pressure in a 100mm pipe and branches to the down pipes coming off at 90 degrees could have induced a twist that would do it no favours.
I don't know how a rubber seal will go long term and if I'll have to dig it up again if it does split.
I think I'll go with poly again and cross my fingers. The pipe is also the lowest point in the yard, so I thought I'd ass another length down the ditch and a screw on end cap. That way if I get a dead frog or something turning to soup in the pipe, I can undo the end cap and it will self flush it clean.

It shouldn't need a marker (unless I do the extensions) the pipe is 600mm below the surface and I'd have to have the mower blades set pretty low to hit it;).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts