Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I’ve had ‘wet’ rainwater systems, and an annual flush (or more of the tanks are full) is a good investment. The water can get pretty skanky in the pipes. If you have issues with Koalas and possums crapping on the roof, they can get bad quickly 🤮.
That black soil can move, do I reckon it’s caused the crack. No issues when you have JD thought! 👍🏼👍🏼

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’ve had ‘wet’ rainwater systems, and an annual flush (or more of the tanks are full) is a good investment. The water can get pretty skanky in the pipes. If you have issues with Koalas and possums crapping on the roof, they can get bad quickly 🤮.
That black soil can move, do I reckon it’s caused the crack. No issues when you have JD thought! 👍🏼👍🏼
Thanks Skanky, green frogs is my biggest issue. There are possums about, but a couple of mad kelpies, they generally steer clear of the house.
In the end I added a 6m length of 100mm pipe running to the bottom of the ditch and added an inspection cap. With 4-5m head of water you need to get out of the way quick if you unscrew it.

It looks like the worst earth moving job ever. It was too wet to do anything with, so I just dumped globs of mud in the ditch. When it dries out a bit I'll have another go at leveling it all.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That sorta head will give a really thorough clean out. We had a heap of rainwater tanks on the GreatOceanWalk that I used to manage, nothing worse than getting covered in that filth early in the patrol day. Especially before lunch.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoyks

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That sorta head will give a really thorough clean out. We had a heap of rainwater tanks on the GreatOceanWalk that I used to manage, nothing worse than getting covered in that filth early in the patrol day. Especially before lunch.
It certainly puts you off your sandwiches when the smell wafts up your nose.

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've been a bit busy, cleaning up the old concrete paths around the house I'm slowly demolishing.

Some of them are fair slabs and have tested the little tractor, but its done quite well and only been defeated by the slab that had the water tank on it. 2m x 2m x 100mm thick and I bent a 1" steel bar you can see leaning against the wall, trying to pry it up, so fair enough.

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Plant

So I'm shifting all this concrete and digging out the gravel and got away unscathed. Then I went to rip out a crusty old orange tree that was more sooty mildew that orange tree.

It put up a fair fight and when I got back to the shed and looked at the bucket jaw, I've a bit of a slack jaw under bite happening.

Bugger.

But I have tools and opposable thumbs!

The chain hooks I installed were put to good use, the chain was stuck under the jack and hooked down to stop the jack lifting the bucket away. Tractor was started to put some down pressure on the jack so it didn't want to escape and bottle jack was pumped until the bucket bowed in the middle the other way to allow for some spring back.

You can sort of see the bow between the cutting edge and the aluminium straight edge along the front, but it was twice that at the back.

Wood Rectangle Font Gas Automotive exterior

Over all not a bad result, at least it fully closes now. I could tweak it a bit more, but that was pretty good for 10 minutes work.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
408 Posts
Gotta straighten mine at some point, same cause- pulling out tree stumps.

I need a thumb for the BH. 👍🏼

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I thought I was having a tractor free day today, just fixing up a few things and doing some welding, but the little tractor saved the day in the end.

3 years ago I got a carport added to the shed 9x6m across the front and 9x3m down the side to give 3 parking bays across the front and room for a boat down the side (yet to get a boat, but I want one). You know people say that things are good, cheap or fast and with a product you can only pick 2?

These guys weren't really any on them.
First they messed up the quote, I really didn't mind as it gave me a $3.5k discount and essentially got the bit down the side of the shed for nothing.
Then they took forever to get there and actually do the job, I think it was 4 months, even with weekly phone calls and visits to the sales office.
Finally the installer shows up to do the job, nice guy, liked a chat and they did what looked like a good job (apart from scattering roofing screws all through where the vehicles park).... until it rained.

I have water tanks as there is no well and town water has poor pressure and costs per kL, so we run of water tanks and a pump. Now the gutters on the shed all ran in the wrong direction :( :mad:. They filled up, but the down pipe was high and dry at one end and the water would overflow and run through the carport, rather than filling the tanks. Not ideal.

They came back and had a go at fixing it, but there is only so much adjustment you can do when one end is a good 3" too low. In the end I told them to bugger off and I'd fix it myself.

After cursing it every time it rained, today, today I opened up the dropsaw I got for christmas and had a go at lifting the roof 4". I thought about spacers under the rafters, but figured since I'm going to put a slab in soon, I'd cut the poles off, add in 4" sections and then I could hide my poor welds with cement(y).

1st up I had to make a jack adapter so I could clamp it to the pole to lift it with the hydraulic jack. That went pretty well, including the turning the shed upside down to find the G clamp I knew I had, just no idea where I put it.
The new dropsaw worked a treat, eating through the 75x75x4mm gal like it was nothing. Then I marked off the upright posts, cut 1/2 way through, installed the clamp and got a spotter to call the ambulance in case the whole lot came down on my head.

1st pole went pretty well, just a bit of a clunk as the tension was taken up with the jack and the metal parted. I jacked the corner of the shed up, slipped in the 4" spacer and welded it all into position.

Piece of cake(y).

The middle one put up a bit more resistance, wanting to kick off around 1" from a neat alignment, so needed to be pulled straight, but got there in the end, all welded in and solid.

By this stage I was on a roll, so my safety supervisor retired to the house and I cut out 3 sides of the pole, fitted the jack adapter to take the weight and completed the cut....

Bloody hell!o_O

Big bang, pole flies a foot sideways, drops 6", spears into the dirt and nearly his my daughters car*. Jack fails and a torrent of water pours off the roof, drowning me and a my tools. Luckily the angle grinder is a cordless and survives the drenching unscathed.
The jack is now stuffed, with oil coming out the seals and not enough strength to lift the pole more than a couple of inches anyway. Rather than lifting the roofline, it is now about 10" lower than when I started. Not ideal.

A trolley jack won't work due to access, blocks of wood and a crow bar aren't really a viable solution, so looks like the glorified lawnmower is my only hope.
Got the daughter to move her crapheap (was secretly hoping the shed would fall on it), wrapped the chain around the lifting adaptor thing and hooked it to the bucket.

After declining my daughters kind offer to help (She was last on a tractor when she was 3, now 21) as it probably wasn't the optimal time to learn to drive a loader, I carefully lifted the bucket and the whole corner of the shed lifted like it was nothing. So that was a win. From 10" low to now 10" high, I could clean off the edges, tack in the spacer and position the pole to within a 1/4" of where I wanted it. Last bit was achieved with a big hammer, pipe wrench and a G clamp. Then I zapped it with the MIG before it escaped again.

One more pole to do tomorrow, but its an intermediate one and should be easier... I hope. Then the joys of concreting.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures as I was a tad damp and mildly stressed out at the time.

* Holden/Chevy/Opel Cruze, what a piece of junk. Its on its 2nd gearbox (warranty), had to get trucked home because the steering lock broke (common issue), cooling system parts are made from the cheapest and nastiest plastic available and now its done a waterpump/thermostat and 1/2 the engine bay and an engine mount has to come out to get to it. Pretty sure it was GM's parting gift to Australia so no one was sorry to see their backs when they finally left.

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
This weekend was weed spraying and renovations.

When I moved in the yard was thick with bindii, goat heads and clover burr and it was taking most of a day to spray the yard and I kept missing bits. I was sick of the old ones that had to be hand pumped, so a few years ago I got a little 12V pressure sprayer.

The bindies you can live with, they aren't comfortable to walk on, but the prickles are only short and penetrate your bare feet enough to cause pain. They grow in rosettes, so you're also likely to get several in one step.

Goats head thorns (caltrop thorns, cat heads) are a nasty woody thorn with 3 spikes on them, pretty much no matter how they grow, a pointy bit will be sticking up and will go through your thongs (we call flip-flops 'thongs' (as well as pluggers or even double pluggers if you get the good ones), so get your mind out of the gutter:cautious:. Pretty sure we were calling them thongs before some Brazilian turned dental floss into beachwear... anyway), puncture your bike tyres and even hole a mower tyre. I had to slime the tyres on the ride-on as I was running out of sticky string plugs and was sick of trying to find the slow leaks.

Clover burr looks like clover, but has a burr for a seed (yes, we Aussies are very imaginative with our names), it sticks in the pets fur and my long haired cat, dog and goats were having a bad pretty bad time of it and didn't appreciate the haircuts to get them out.

So I blew $100 and bought a 12V eBay sprayer.
I added a 12V socket to the back of the mower and an on/off switch on the dash. Spray boom is micro irrigation stand pipes with 180 degree sprayers screwed into it, I think putting together that bit was under 30 bucks.

To start with I had it mounted in the 10P trailer behind the mower and the spray boom hooked to the back with shock cord. It worked well, but I'd managed to snag the boom on trees or in the fence and snapped or bent it.

Green Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Machine

Improved version was mounted to the back of the machine, hooked into the slots in the frame and a support into the tow hitch. It worked well, but I still managed to snag it on stuff and break the boom.

I was looking for zip ties to repair the boom again, when I found some broom handle clips in the draw. 1" dowel or a 1" stand pipe, they don't care and give a convenient breakaway device if I hook it in the fence again. 4 pop rivets and I have gone from a yard to an acreage sprayer.

Tire Wheel Riding mower Lawn mower Mower

It works pretty well, I Tee'd in an air fitting so I can plug in the boom and spray, or disconnect it, it seals off and I can use the hand lance to spot spray. The nozzles are small enough that when the pump is off the spray stops and doesn't dribble much and when the pump is in its only a second and its up to pressure, putting out a nice 6' wide spray pattern.

I can motor around at walking pace and cover the whole yard in a fraction of the time it would take with that bloody hand sprayer. Its only taken 7 years and I'm finally on top of the weeds.

Grass Asphalt Road surface Soil Carmine

The tractor got rolled out to help with the demolition. I was pulling down the gutters and got sick of 40 years of leaf litter and crap falling down the back of my shirt, not to mention being under it all when it suddenly fell down. The bucket also provided a handy-dandy step/work platform to get me to the right height to wrap a chain around the guttering.
Yes it was overkill and a couple of sheet metal clips presented no challenge, but it helps justify the $20k expense of a tractor(y)

Sky Building Cloud Tree House

Next job was to move the lid from the old septic. I'd filled the tank in and had the lid still on it so no one fell in as it was slowly getting filled with rubble. There is a fair amount of concrete in the lid and trying to roll it like a wheel is asking for it to drop in you. I've done that before, dropped it on the back of my leg. It didn't break the skin, but bruised my calf to the bone and stopped me climbing stairs or walking up hill for over a month.
A chain and a piece of four-b-two through the doughnut hole was much more civilised, until it started to swing like a pendulum. The ride started to feel like it could get interesting at about that point, so I dropped it to the ground and dragged it the rest of the way.

Tire Sky Vehicle Green Automotive tire

Back to work tomorrow for bit of a rest. Only a 4 day week this week, hopefully I don't lose the Saturday to rain again and be able to get some work done next Friday as well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think ill have to do this mod to my little spray rig. Youre a bush genius!
That caltrop is the worst, I don't miss it one bit! We had it right through the yard when I lived in the Mallee.
One day, out in the bush blowing up bunny holes, I came across an old bloke jogging in his birthday suit. He obviously did this pretty often, 'cause I thought he was in a bronze tracksuit from a distance. Anyway, once I caught up and past him, I called from the quad bike "good day, mind the 3 corner jacks don't flick up yer undercarriage". The thought of this old bloke catching a jack in his buttcheek had me laughing so hard I nearly crashed.
Most of the thorns that I deal with these days are black berries or ti tree, much more civilised.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoyks and raco232

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
Don't know how I missed this post,,, Thanks for posting...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts