Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
18,494 Posts
Yes, John Deere does, or they are easy to make yourself also. Artillian sells a complete setup ready to weld onto your attachment as well.On limited access now, but there are some good threads on this if you do some searching.

·
Premium Member
13,033 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assume thank you!

Assume, thank you, wish i would have asked this a week ago. have been making the hooks, i have used more than that in steel and acetalin, having a terrible time getting the hooks bent so they are a smooth bend and tight!
making them for a set of forks and a snow plow.

·
Administrator
18,494 Posts
1.5" angle iron works for the hooks, not pretty but since nothing rotates it doesn't need to bent a perfect fit. Search "JDQA hooks" in the Google search up top, you might find the threads I mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
I made mine also, price is cheaper to purchase from JD. But I just like make it myself. I used a piece of shafting , tack welded the flat stock to the shaft , clamped the shafting in my vice on the welding table, then used my rosebud tip on my oxy/acetylene torch set and heated the flat stock , as I heated I rolled it over the shafting making a very nice smooth bend, then cut the flat stock to the length required. You need to be sure you apply enough heat and continued heat on the flat stock as its rolled over the shaft.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
I split a piece of pipe for my hooks: FARM 034.jpg Used them on my forks: HPIM1976 - Copy.JPG HPIM1975.JPG & boom: FARM 042.jpg

·
Registered
892 Posts
Those look nice grnspot and I'm not trying to nit-pick on anything here. But, if it was mine, I'd recommend adding an additional piece of angle to box it from top to front edge of the hook. That'll effectively double your thickness and should help a lot. I'd just be afraid that will eventually spread open resulting in a potential accident. Rest of it looks awesome though. I'd like to have a boom myself but I'm getting a cherry picker next weekend. :)

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Those look nice grnspot and I'm not trying to nit-pick on anything here. But, if it was mine, I'd recommend adding an additional piece of angle to box it from top to front edge of the hook. That'll effectively double your thickness and should help a lot. I'd just be afraid that will eventually spread open resulting in a potential accident. Rest of it looks awesome though. I'd like to have a boom myself but I'm getting a cherry picker next weekend. :)

Jim
They've worked fine for 4-1/2 years as is, no sign of any spreading!

·
Registered
892 Posts
That's cool, just lookin' out for ya. Thanks for not taking it wrong. :drinks:

Jim

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
John Deere does. :) Part #3 ($14) and #4 ($20) below.
Word to the wise fellas, the pins Deere sells are made of a medium carbon steel. This material is prone to weld cracking without proper pre and post weld treatment. I can't understand why they use it for these pins, and worse, sell them openly to the public. This isn't weekend warrior stuff.

If you use them, you should know how to properly weld that material for your safety in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
I used old Cat. II lower 3-pt pins that I had on hand for the pins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts