Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my shop in '99 and have always had a service truck, so I did most of my small fab jobs on the tailgates. These service trucks all had welders, torch rigs, air compressor, heavy-duty vices, etc... I knew the time would come when I would no longer have these amenities. Over the past few years, I've been gathering the items to build a welding table. Two years a go, I picked up a section of 1" plate steel, 4' x 5'.
Another time, one of my vendors gave me a hydraulic cylinder barrel. I asked if they wouldn't mind cutting it to size, to make 4 legs for the table. Other times, I picked up scrap angle iron and flat bar.
I began building the welding table a while back, then placed it behind the barn because I had other priorities. Yesterday, I drug it to the front of my shop to complete it, as I've got some metal project in mind. I used my 330 to drag it and it was a pretty good job. If it would have had turf tire, I would not have even tried. Anyway, it made it with the help of me sitting on the hood to control the steering. :good2:

Two of the legs were welded in place some time ago.
Yesterday, while it was upside down, I welded the other two legs and tied it together with support braces. This morning, I flipped it rightside up using a high-lift jack and the 330.
IMG_2585.JPG

Once I got it high enough, I placed a jack stand for safety. I then rigged a chain to the leg braces and hooked it to the 330. I have to say, it all went fairly smooth. As the table was coming to rest right-side up, I placed boards under the location of where the legs landed to cushion it's fall.
IMG_2586.JPG

Sorry, I didn't take pics of the 330 pulling it over. I was too worried about controlling the load.
I don't know what this thing weighs, but it's real heavy.

IMG_2587.JPG

I place an Easy-up awning over the table to keep the sun of my back. I'm trying to figure out if I'll leave the protruding section(back/right) in place, or not. It may be a good place to locate the vise. The vise was given to me. It's got a part missing to be fully operational, so I'll have to fix that.

I was in the process of installing a vise when it started to drizzle, so I came inside for lunch.
IMG_2590.JPG

A very large thunderstorm came through, and when I looked outside from the patio window, I saw the easy-up had collapsed. Oh, well. It was old and needed to be replaced soon. I'll be shopping for another one later. The awning is about 12 years old and has done it's time.

I'll cut out and install gussets where the legs and angle iron braces meet. Plans are to add a 1/4" steel plate on the leg support angles to use as a shelf. A section of grating will also be added as a place to make torch cuts without cutting into the tabletop. It will be removable and stored on the lower shelf, to keep it out of the way when not in use.
HTB11HAcHpXXXXaQaXXXq6xXFXXXq.jpg

After my nap, and if the rain quits, I'll be back working on it. At this point, other than my time, my only investment is the wire for my MIG.

I'll post more pics later.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,844 Posts
Heavy duty, heavy duty!! I like. :good2:

Be careful not to bend those 6" hydraulic ram legs....................:lol:

·
Registered
778 Posts
love it! No need to ground any piece, just the table! I took a welding class in 1973 and the school had many of these with overhead hood fans, bright lights, nice stool. Makes a big diff with the results IMHO.

:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
1/8" steel weighs 5# per square foot,,, (8X5=40#) so the 1 inch steel weighs 40# per square foot.

4X5 = 20 square feet,, 20X40 = 800 pounds for the top.

The table looks great!! :good2:

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
1/8" steel weighs 5# per square foot,,, (8X5=40#) so the 1 inch steel weighs 40# per square foot.

4X5 = 20 square feet,, 20X40 = 800 pounds for the top.

The table looks great!! :good2:
No wonder that made the 330 grunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,908 Posts
I'm lovin' it. Who wouldn't be happy with that in their shop?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks great. Shouldn't have to worry about anyone carrying that off. :laugh:
That's for sure. Even the meth-heads are too lazy to go through the trouble to steal it.

The vise had no name tag on it. It's a 5-1/2", Made in USA. :good2:

IMG_2592.JPG

From the numbers embossed on the side, I find it's a Wilton 1755.
IMG_2600.JPG

This was the only problem I found with it. The two grooved pins that retain the nut assembly were sheared, preventing the jaws from opening.
IMG_2593.JPG

The items needed to repair it are circled in the diagram below, which are the two grooved pins and the dust cap. I can get the groove pins locally. I may also be able to find a dust cap for a axle spindle to fit.
63200 (1755)-Wilton-PB.png

This is it disassembled. ↓ The jaw teeth are in fairly good condition.
I'll clean all the parts and paint it. If I ask nicely, maybe Keith will front me some black paint. :lol:
IMG_2606.JPG

I fired up the torch and cut mounting hole for the vise at the protruding part of the tabletop. I also welded a catch try on the same side. It was too late for pics, as Mrs. FW called me inside for supper. I'll post that tomorrow.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If that little kick out is 90° to the table, I'd leave it. My welding table has an "L" like that I put in on purpose when I made it. It's very handy to have a place to clamp down 90° corners to tack and weld out.

Another thing I did when I fabbed mine up was weld some 2" receiver type tubes underneath the top. I drilled them for a bolt and welded a nut on to tighten the "hitch" in. I only use one at the moment to hold my bench grinder I built a hitch plate for, but I can move it to the other side if I like, or add something else if I want later. Or take it off if I need a bigger flat area.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
:lol: flyweight-that is one monster of a welding table. i don't think u will have to worry about it warping any:lolol:

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Awesome table Flyweight! I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that paint. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
Nice job and way heavy. I may make a small one some day but a quarter inch 2' x 3' steel plate under the vise is my next buy and install on the bench . . . it should cut down on the burns and 'other' damage to the tempered board on the bench.

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,853 Posts
I'll clean all the parts and paint it. If I ask nicely, maybe Keith will front me some black paint. :lol:
If you paint it where would you draw an arc or heat up a rod when welding something being held by the vise?
Damn kids. :banghead: :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,917 Posts
One Heavy Duty Table.:bigthumb: just be careful if you have to use a hammer or pry bar on the table top ,,you might break the hammer or pry bar.:laugh:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you paint it where would you draw an arc or heat up a rod when welding something being held by the vise?
Damn kids. :banghead: :lol:
Come now, Giz. :flag_of_truce:
The paint is for the legs, not the tabletop.
Even a cool fella like you should know that. :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,853 Posts
Come now, Giz. :flag_of_truce:
The paint is for the legs, not the tabletop.
Even a cool fella like you should know that. :lol:
I knew that. :lol:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,844 Posts
I knew that. :lol:
Well played there Giz, just well danged played again.
That'll show Flyweight who he's dealing with here!

:lolol:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Nice table. I can't wait to get back to my project welding table I started last winter. Had to stop due to other priorities. Mine has a 1" aluminum table top.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Great welding table and I like your long range planning in getting materials and making this happen!:thumbup1gif:

Yeah, that little piece looks like it was put there for a vise...if I were you I'd say I planned it just that way. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts