Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than a few hour hands on class a little while ago, I haven't welded in 25 years. I fired up the MigMax 215 for the first time tonight. After playing around some, on flat plate, I did these two welds before I came in for dinner. Much more practice to come.

6JsmaA6oUplm4qqDGjX7uMhgavywF2eTfGX9-Pi6KdgHKutqvVpBjJB8Yb6lAZ7vRD5yJw7h-wfvV_hfuxTmcwFqY5Oeon2p.jpg

I turned up the wire speed a little as well as slowed down some.

aySHKs3qHtB1ylcWrwvCvK3LZubFAeq_VIjHhnQ2eKkA0ntgPCzXGj6XGPOF2RT24GS0ymIR46dhxYflOtVZTvRf08hq99FX.jpg

I'll be practicing a lot this weekend, any feedback on these so far?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I'd be proud of both of those welds. Very even and consistent. Good job!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
592 Posts
The top one looks like your travel speed is too fast, and also inconsistent. The bottom one looks like you slowed down, but the weld leg is a little big. So you can either speed your travel up or turn your wire speed down. Watch a lot of "welding tips and tricks" on youtube is the best advice I can give.

Four biggest factors in the weld are voltage, wire speed, travel speed, and stickout (distance from the tip to the material). Gas/flux core are things that matter, too. But the ones you can affect at your fingertips are those four. If your machine has presets, you still control the last two. So you either tweak settings to fit your style, or learn to weld like your machine expects you to.

Watch some videos and learn how they things you do after you pull the trigger affect your weld, and you'll be cruising along in no time.

·
Registered
592 Posts
:thumbup1gif:

Judging by the bottom one, it won't take you long to get the feel. I wouldn't be upset seeing or laying a weld like that one on my stuff. The only reason I said it looked a little slow was for constructive criticism. If your base material was thicker, like 1/4", that would be a home run.

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts
They look excellent for just starting back, you'll master it in no time :good2:

In the mean time study this:
Weld types.jpg

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
That second weld look great. A real test is to cut the coupon across the weld and see the actual penetration. You should be able to see the difference between the parent material and the new filler.

Listening to your weld can also be a huge help. A good MIG weld sounds like sizzling bacon with most setups and wire, but it's not the same for all of them or all processes.

Practice practice practice! And have fun! :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
Looks like you’re well on your way to the $28.00 weld.
That's great. :thumbup1gif:

Bubber, looks good to me, go build something.
Like most things, it's what works for you.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I took Adult class in welding 30 years ago and haven't used my welder in 20 years but I have the itch to get it out next summer. thanks for showing me I need to do it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dieselshadow gave very good advice. The etch test is an eye opener. On welding tips Jody has a number of vids on how to do the test correctly. Mig welds can look great with out any penetration at all. Weldings fun isn't it.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Bubber:

For someone that hasn't welded in quite a few years, you did good with your new toy. :good2:

As others have suggested, watch Jody's videos on his YouBoob channel Welding Tips and Tricks. He has lots of good advice on technique and what to look for in good and bad welds. He's also not afraid to say when he's made a crappy (to him) weld, and I respect him for admitting that instead of trying to pretend he's Super Welder that can out weld any robot on the factory floor.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What I like on welding tips and tricks are the projects videos. I see you bought a cart already, if in the future you decide on something different he has videos on a couple of different cart projects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts