Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way back from a vehicle inspection this morning I stop by my local welding supply shop and picked up one of these...

Lens.JPG

All I can say is, WOW!..............:lol: :good2:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
So I wouldn't need my reading glasses? And do they come in different sizes?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
On the way back from a vehicle inspection this morning I stop by my local welding supply shop and picked up one of these...

View attachment 129129

I'll have to look for one of those...except in 2.5. I always have to use my readers anymore when I'm welding and that's just another element to slip/adjust/slip/adjust.:good2:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,403 Posts

View attachment 129129

Get contacts little lad, even an old dinosaur like me uses them 100% of the time.
No glare problems welding, no scratched lens, no grease or oil to be constantly wiping off, no slipping down
your nose.
Step into the 21st century young-old man, contacts! :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Different sizes as in magnification? Yes, I took the 1.50.
Don't know about physical size.

I'll have to look for one of those...except in 2.5. I always have to use my readers anymore when I'm welding and that's just another element to slip/adjust/slip/adjust.:good2:
I needed a new splatter glass and was telling the guy how hard it is to see with progressive glasses. The guy laughed and said he had the same problem and then said "I'll fix ya right up". I said yeah sure you will....I was wrong.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get contacts little lad, even an old dinosaur like me uses them 100% of the time.
No glare problems welding, no scratched lens, no grease or oil to be constantly wiping off, no slipping down
your nose.
Step into the 21st century young-old man, contacts! :lol:
I out grew contacts years ago. If I wear my contacts now I can't see well enough to change a spark plug without reading glasses.
Have ya ever got weld slag on a contact? Ain't fun, I know.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I always insisted on welders wearing Z87.1 safety glasses under their hood.
TOO many times in the past I'd seen eye injuries occuring when the welder raised his/her hood at the same time the slag "popped", resulting in an emergency visit to the hospital.
Yes, even with the new "auto-darkening" hoods.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,403 Posts
I out grew contacts years ago. If I wear my contacts now I can't see well enough to change a spark plug without reading glasses.
Have ya ever got weld slag on a contact? Ain't fun, I know.
Sorry to hear the contacts no longer work for you, a god sent to me because I couldn't stand glasses.
I have pretty bad astigmatism and slightly nearsighted, the contacts fixed the astigmatism perfectly and improved
my near vision to the point that I don't need "cheaters" to use the computer.
About the only thing I can't read is the super fine disclaimer print that people don't want you to read anyway.:lol:

Never had slag hit me in the eye, learned many moons ago keep the shield down and flip up just the
welding lens to chip flux.

With the new auto darken lens, there's no reason to even flip up the lens.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! All I need to do is measure my helmet lens and order one. This is a must-have item!
Check your local supply shop. I just paid $6.95 for this one.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sorry to hear the contacts no longer work for you, a god sent to me because I couldn't stand glasses.
I have pretty bad astigmatism and slightly nearsighted, the contacts fixed the astigmatism perfectly and improved
About the only thing I can't read is the super fine disclaimer print that people don't want you to read anyway.:lol:

Never had slag hit me in the eye, learned many moons ago keep the shield down and flip up just the

Heads down and "arses" up, no time to be chit-chattin' with your fitter. He needs to keep fittings and pipe cut and prepped for your next 20 welds. :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Wore contacts for 32 plus years, great things they are. Got to the point I needed reading glasses with them, I gave up.

·
Super Moderator
7,909 Posts

View attachment 129129

When I splurged and upgraded from my 50 year old welding helmet to a new, self darkening one I also got the 1.5 magnifier lens with it. It's a great solution for those needing prescription glasses or using readers. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I splurged and upgraded from my 50 year old welding helmet to a new, self darkening one I also got the 1.5 magnifier lens with it. It's a great solution for those needing prescription glasses or using readers. :thumbup1gif:
So what you're saying is, you've been holding out on us.:lol:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have to take my glasses off to weld up close. Then when I'm done if don't put them in my pocket I can't find them

·
Old Pa-pa
11,403 Posts
Wore contacts for 32 plus years, great things they are. Got to the point I needed reading glasses with them, I gave up.
My eyes started getting "old" around 40, being naturally hardheaded I fought getting glasses till around 50.
I was using 3.75 Doppler cheaters to compensate when doing fine work and for extra fine work X10 jewelers goggles. :banghead:

After two sets of aggravating glasses, I switched to contacts.
Go to the eye doctor once a year and for the last 6 years she hasn't changed the prescription, so
I figure things have stabilized, hopefully.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,403 Posts
Heads down and "arses" up, no time to be chit-chattin' with your fitter. He needs to keep fittings and pipe cut and prepped for your next 20 welds. :lol:
Some of the buddies I hang with are retired shipyard welders and fitters, what a crew. :lol:

One is a retired fitter, when I'm building something at the house, he'll come over and ask, "What the hell you're trying to do?"
"Give me that torch and get out the way".:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts

View attachment 129129

Welder where I worked called them "Cheaters"

Yes & Yes!

I always insisted on welders wearing Z87.1 safety glasses under their hood.
TOO many times in the past I'd seen eye injuries occuring when the welder raised his/her hood at the same time the slag "popped", resulting in an emergency visit to the hospital.
Yes, even with the new "auto-darkening" hoods.
I agree, good point!

·
Super Moderator
7,909 Posts
So what you're saying is, you've been holding out on us.:lol:
Yes. But not intentionally. :knownothing:

I believe that someone may have mentioned the reading lens inserts in an earlier post discussing self darkening helmets.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts