Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided it was time to move my project from the "what did you do with MCUT" into the "barns/buildings" forum as I am mostly done using the 2038R and its become the wood and iron show right now. Spent some of last week and weekend working with wood and iron.

Everything is framed up, ready to go. I ordered these Perma Column wet-set holders for my 4x6 posts. $300 with shipping. They are steel with 18" rebar. Nice, heavy and will be way more support than needed but why do it half way when you can go overboard :laugh: (We do get the occasional hurricane here in Florida)

Half inch rebar all the way around including 1 piece of 4ft rebar driven 25" into the ground in almost every block alternating sides. Probably way too much iron but hopefully it will not ever move.

Now its a hurry up and wait on the concrete guys to lay down a solid 4" of concrete with the fiberglass in it. Final pad size 16'6" x 7'10". Will be using around 6 ft of it for well equipment and the rest for tractor accessories storage along with yard tool storage(shovels, racks etc).

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Still waiting on the concrete....:munch:

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I'm done with the Cat Scrambler if you need it. We turned about 16 yards in it.:lol:

20181028_152902.jpg

I actually made a decal for it that says Cat Scrambler.:unknown:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
:munch:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm done with the Cat Scrambler if you need it. We turned about 16 yards in it.:lol:

View attachment 668764

I actually made a decal for it that says Cat Scrambler.:unknown:

MDrew, Thanks for the offer but I am WAY too lazy to mix and pour my own concrete.....:lol: It was enough to mix the mortar for the concrete block.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Concrete guy just came by and said by the end of next week they will have it poured.......YEE HAA !!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Concrete Poured

Well the concrete was poured today finally...... Will pull the forms tomorrow due to the cooler temps and then wait at least a week before putting up framing.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
I decided it was time to move my project from the "what did you do with MCUT" into the "barns/buildings" forum as I am mostly done using the 2038R and its become the wood and iron show right now. Spent some of last week and weekend working with wood and iron.

Everything is framed up, ready to go. I ordered these Perma Column wet-set holders for my 4x6 posts. $300 with shipping. They are steel with 18" rebar. Nice, heavy and will be way more support than needed but why do it half way when you can go overboard :laugh: (We do get the occasional hurricane here in Florida)
I use the 6x6 holders from Perma-Column to repair a post in our barn. https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/home-workshop-projects/14700-pole-barn-work-4.html#post148376
I also used Perma-Column posts in our garage. https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/barns-buildings/1874-my-20-x-32-kistler-building.html#post13934
Good stuff IMO.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, finally got some time to work on the new well equipment shed. Got all of the 4x6 posts up and upper side supports.(Toe boards are just sitting there) One of the middle 4x6's has a nice bow in it so hopefully I can get that out with center pressure as you will see from the photos. Also, I am not quite square down the length of the sides but I knew it was going to be an issue as I just "eyeballed" the concrete block wall build portion. I have about 3/4" more length on the right side thanks to the flair out on the current shed end from where I hit it with the JD after motaring it all together. You can actually see it in the first photo if you look.

Going to look at a mid-sized dump truck on Sat am so that I can get my own dirt since I need around 40-50 truck loads for my yard. It will allow me to get the dirt when I want it instead of waiting on the other driver which I am still waiting for 5 loads from 2 weeks ago. Truck GVW is 28,000 so its just over the 26,000 no CDL limit. I have already began to take the CDL practice tests on line. Seem pretty straight forward. It will eliminate between $4-$5 thousand in truck driver fees and hoping I can get truck for $5500. And then I will sell it when I am done so I should net ahead. Hell maybe I will work on the side delivering dirt for folks...

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truss

Got the first truss done today and put a jig together to help build the 9 others that I am going to need. Cut down all of the lengths for the trusses but still need to cut all the angles. Went with a 22.5 degree angled cut at the top. Not sure what that equates to angle wise over the 93 inch span but it works for me......:laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
What was the purpose of the cinder block in the foundation?

I did not see reference to it other than you drove rebar down through it.

Looks like its only a couple inches inboard of the edge of slab.

Curious on this design..

Dan in Oregon

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What was the purpose of the cinder block in the foundation?

I did not see reference to it other than you drove rebar down through it.

Looks like its only a couple inches inboard of the edge of slab.

Curious on this design..

Dan in Oregon

Dan, there are starter photos in the "what did you conquer with your MCUT" that show the slope(roughly 2+ ft drop) in my yard and the start of the project. I have added the link to the page below. I wanted to bring the area up and build a bigger shed/well equipment pad. Currently when it rains, its gets very wet and muddy around my current well pad and there is no extra storage as its just a lean-to. As you will see in those photos, the lean-to on page 263 was the current ground level pre wall build. Photos on pages 263,265,266,268

On that end with the current lean-to, it will be hold back the dirt and allow space around the well pump since the pump has to be a certain distance above the ground(could have just raised pump but this a better project for tractor time).

As you will see in the latest photos, the ground now slopes back towards the current lean-to which will be almost the final grade. After I get the well equipment moved, the white lean-to will get torn down exposing the well pump and it will make more sense visually. But I will be building more wall around the well pump to create an "L" to keep exposed at the current ground level while re-sloping the yard around it.

I hope that helps explain the wall.....

yardhttps://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/medium-frame-compact-utility-tractors-mcut/9601-what-did-you-conquer-your-mcut-263.html

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1/2 trusses completed and installed yesterday....

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally had 1/2 free weekend to work on my shed.... Progress on late Sat into all day Sun was finish installing 5 other trusses, install 6 sheets 4x8 panelling, install truss 1x4 edges. Biggest issue has been with the pressure treated wood. Some of it tends to bow. Thank you for clamps and extra 2x4's...:nunu:

IMG_2820.jpg
IMG_2821.jpg
IMG_2823.jpg

Then this afternoon, I installed the roof.

IMG_2826.jpg

Next will be to work on filling in the 2 truss ends, the plumbing and electrical before the back paneling goes on(white lean-to end). Left the one side open so that it will be easy to move the well equipment(tank, filters, salt tank, pressure tank, etc) from old area into new area without having to go all the way in the front.

Tractor came in handy....

IMG_2819.jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the felt/tar paper put up this afternoon. Used the 30oz. From the photo, you can tell the height difference. After I move all of the equipment and tear down the old lean-to, I will be building a cover for the well head which is behind the blue tanks. I will add dirt and re-slope that area behind after all of that is done.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hate roofing !!

I haven't had much time lately but this morning before the rain was to arrive, I put down 1/2 of the asphault shingles.(not the best pic) Let me just say, I am glad I am not a roofer. Thats a tough job and I am not looking forward to doing the other 1/2. Plus my tractor is in the shop, so I had to hand carry 5 or 6 pieces at a time up the ladder. Then it was up and down to cut the last piece of each row because I did not want to cut them on the roof and screw up the felt paper. I did precut the starter pieces for each row but its been one hell of a workout...... It took 3 packages @ $30 a pop. So it will be back to Lowes for the other 3 more but I will not be doing them since weekend cause I am tired !!!!:flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce:

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finished up the other side of the shingling today. It was 90 degrees in the shade around finishing time..... I still have to put on the cap shingles.

PS-Ladder is just resting against forks for the photo. It was against roof while using.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
More progress has been made over the last 2 weekends. First weekend in June was the most difficult part of this entire build, moving the well equipment....

Preped house just in case no water for 48 hrs. No GF, water jugs, bathtub full of water, etc.(turned out to be 36hrs without). Friday was a dirt day, 14 loads(will be in MCUT forum). Sat was HD prep buying everything I thought I might need and trench day. Had everything wired in sealtite by the end of the day. The trench was dug with the help of HD rental equipment($200 for 4 hrs). Thanks to the equipment, I was able to put the water line 18" below the surface instead of the 6" that it was buried previously and I saved around $6000 for not purchasing the backhoe for my 2038R :laugh:

IMG_2987.jpg
IMG_2988.jpg
IMG_2989.jpg

Sun turned into a disaster. 8 hrs to re-wire into new shed(planned on 3-4hrs). Turned off power, pulled apart existing power and discovered that instead of just the 220 running to existing shed, they pulled an additional 120 wire. The chlorinator tank is reverse powered by the well pump so when the pump comes on, the chlorinator comes on. My original wiring layout was the 220 was run out and then the 2 outlets that power the equipment were "tapped" off the 220 circuit. Nope, that won't work. So back to HD to get more wire and other supplies and I had to repull wiring through a lot of the sealtight.

First 2 photos show hot wires. One is capped(yellow) is one leg of the 220 that is powering just 1 outlet in the shed and the other hot(uncapped) runs to the switch which is then turned into 220(red wires). The other 2 photos show connections on the well pump. The outer 2 connections have orange/red wires(power coming in) and then the 4 black wires in the middle are going back to the chlorinator tank power and powering the well pump itself at the outlet which is the last photo in the group. You will see the orange/red wires going through the conduit directly to the well pump. I replaced the box on the back of the house as well to a double wide so I could have more room for wiring and that old box was 11 yrs old and was looking pretty rough along with the original wiring. Can't change that out without a lot more work....

IMG_3002.jpg
IMG_2998.jpg
IMG_3005.jpg
IMG_3003.jpg

Started working at 8am and finished with electrical at 4pm. Man I was exhausted. NO breaks for lunch or dinner, just lots of water(hot hot hot it was) and 2 trips to HD for parts. Now I am not an old guy but I have not worked so hard on just one thing in a long time and I still had more to go. :flag_of_truce:

Cut PVC and moved well equipment, started to re-plumb. Around 8pm mostly done so lets prime the well pump.....NOPE, no luck won't prime. Its now 10:30p so I was done for the day. Into the cold bathtub full of water. And will call the plumber in the am for advise on the priming of the pump.

IMG_3013.jpg
IMG_3014.jpg
IMG_3010.jpg

It's amazing how much you realize running water makes such a difference in your daily routine when you have to use water from a jug and take a cold bath:flag_of_truce:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts