Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been building my own tractors for a while now. Mainly because no one really offers the feature set I want in a tractor. Here's the one currently in progress:

But this year the winter is coming and everything besides my lawn mower/tractor is still in pieces. The wife is also getting tired of the projects taking up so much time (money) and always in some state of build/rebuild.

so, bad news for the "mut" tractor.

We were out and about today and ran across a 2018 JD x750. 31 total operating hours on it. 31 hrs hasn't even been through the break in cycle yet!
No deck, but it has a heated had cab (heater/wipers.lights, etc, made by Curtis) and a 47" JD snowblower. Front and rear pto shafts. Yanmar 3cyl diesel. Still 1 year left on the JD warranty.

The thing literally looks like it's never been used except a bit of very light scratching around the internal impeller case where it likely has passed some sand or gravel.

Story is some guy bought it for his business, had a heart attack and had to close his business down (I'm guessing a property maint business, hence no deck). So he turned around and traded it on a vehicle to better suit his new limitations.

Unfortunately, it's at a used car dealer, so sales tax has to also be paid.

All said and done, it's going to be just a tick over 17 grand (15 G sale price, 15% tax rate). Not sure what everyone else pays across NA for something like this, but here it's a pretty decent deal. Not a screaming deal, but decent.

Here's the dealers short video on it from approx a year ago:

Now the question is what do I do with the "mutt loader"? No sense spending more money on it, so not a lot of sense continuing to work on it.

Most likely it will end up stripped down for it's parts and the steel.

Probably look to take the loader build and change it up to fit the X750.

Dunno, time will tell I guess.

But one thing is for sure; this build is at an end.....even as another begins.....

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Welcome to GTT from SE PA!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Welcome from central Wisconsin.

Impressive loader build.

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome from western pa

·
Registered
963 Posts
Welcome from western PA
Very nice fab work on the loader (y)(y)

Reactions: Mackford13

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Welcome. Your tax rate is fairly oppressive. If I purchased a tractor where I live and had it delivered to my home, the tax would be based on the point of delivery and it would be 3.7%. Many of the cities around here tack on an additional 3 to 5 percentage points on top of this basic state and county 3.7%. For any major items we buy, frequently the delivery charge is much less than the additional taxes we would pay if we picked it up in a city with a high tax rate.

Years ago I bought a nice lawnmower in town. The owner of the shop asked me where I lived. When I told him, he said that he would charge me only the county tax rate if I had it delivered. I asked him how much the delivery fee was, and he said it would be free. So, of course, I agreed. After I paid him and started to leave, he asked me if I'd do him a favor and make a delivery for him. He pointed to my lawnmower. I said I would be happy to do that. Heck, it wouldn't even be out of the way. We loaded it in my truck and I went home with it.

I hope you find a way around your 15%.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Welcome from NE Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Welcome from southern KY!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,829 Posts
Welcome to GTT

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Welcome to Gtt from the Mitten.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Welcome from Central Ohio

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome. Your tax rate is fairly oppressive. If I purchased a tractor where I live and had it delivered to my home, the tax would be based on the point of delivery and it would be 3.7%. Many of the cities around here tack on an additional 3 to 5 percentage points on top of this basic state and county 3.7%. For any major items we buy, frequently the delivery charge is much less than the additional taxes we would pay if we picked it up in a city with a high tax rate.

Years ago I bought a nice lawnmower in town. The owner of the shop asked me where I lived. When I told him, he said that he would charge me only the county tax rate if I had it delivered. I asked him how much the delivery fee was, and he said it would be free. So, of course, I agreed. After I paid him and started to leave, he asked me if I'd do him a favor and make a delivery for him. He pointed to my lawnmower. I said I would be happy to do that. Heck, it wouldn't even be out of the way. We loaded it in my truck and I went home with it.

I hope you find a way around your 15%.
that's HST. HST is a combined tax. Federal and Provincial tax rolled up into a Harmonized Sales Tax. For you guys it would be the equivalent of federal and state sales tax combined.

We're a small province (just shy of about 1 mill people total) with lots of expenditures (health care, roads, hard winters, etc), so the high taxes are understandable. I don't like them, but I understand them.

To my mind, small price to pay to live in (IMHO) the best little corner on this planet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, dropped into the local dealer and priced up a few things:

54" HC deck (plus whatever associated parts needed for the autoconnect).
54"snow blade
Angle kit
Powerflow head, chute and rear bags

Including their "installation costs" (don't want to void the remaineder of the warranty), it looks to be just a bit shy of 9 grand CAD.

Talked with the wife and I'll be ordering it tomorrow (with deposit) to lock in the prices. Apparently, they get next year pricing on 1 nov, so I have to order with a deposit to not get rooked on price increases. Well, I still will get a 4.5% bump on this year prices, but after talking with on of the sales reps, they're expecting about a 10% jump if you order after 1 nov. The price I stated above already has the 4.5% worked in. Called another dealer in the pron=vince and they are operating the same way, so I'm going to get "rooked" for an extra 4.5% no matter what I do or where I go.

I'm beginning to remember why I've never bought a JD product.......money money money. And then more money on top of that......I guess they paint them green as a warning of things to come!

LOL!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Deed is done. Just ordered:

54" HC deck with autoconnect
Powerflow head
Bagger chute
3 bag collection system (17 bushel I think it was?)
54" front plow blade
Angle kit for the front quick hitch (for plow angling).

total damage: $8194 CAD, delivered and installed.

So my Tractor bill is now roughly 26-27 grand. But that's a 2018 X750 (31 total hrs), 47" blower, front quick hitch, Curtis/Deere hard cab with heater, 54" autoconnect deck, powerflow and 3 bag collection system.

All of it is either new or essentially new. Not too bad for 26 grand I'm thinking. At least not bad compared to what it could have cost if everything were showroom floor new....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.