Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife just let me order myself a Christmas present. Got a nice propane torpedo heater for the shop. I’ll be able to set it next to where I’m working and not freeze.

Big plus will be using it when my done and I are installing his fast hitch on his cub Christmas Morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
It will be just like being on the sideline of a football game.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
This is the heater I have. Slight bigger and really noisy, but it sure heats up my detached 3 car garage. It may be portable, but lugging that 100lb propane tank around would not be called portable.

Dave

heater.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
I considered one of those at one time. They consume a LOT of propane. And if the temperature is really low they want you to use a 100 lb. cylinder. I ended up with a small 70,000 BTU kerosene unit.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have a 60,000 btu Reddy brand kerosene heater. It would get my uninsulated 24x36 shop as warm as I wanted it.
I still have it, but rarely use it. Im currently in the process of insulating walls and adding a ceiling, so it will be much easier to heat, but last year I switched to my 220V electric heater and a 23000 BTU kerosene heater (non-powered type).
That worked well enough last year, and I expect (hope) that after Im done with the walls and ceiling, Ill only use that one sparingly.
I only keep it above freezing in there so my chemicals dont have issues, and raise the temp if Im going to be working.

One thing to keep an eye on, any unvented fuel burning heater, natural gas, propane, kerosene, all add a LOT of moisture to the air. Basically, any heater without a chimney/flue pipe does this. When you raise the temp, you will get condensation on metal objects, the more moisture, the faster/worse this can be. Most times its not a big deal, but I dont really like my tools rusting, which is why I went away from the big heater. That and the noise...

Now if I were a smart guy, Id have run two trenches when I ran power out there, and put a gas line in the second one...but I wasnt thinking ahead at the time, so now Ill have to figure out another path for it should I decide to do that, which I probably wont.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Just watch the CO in the garage if you use it a lot... Get a CO detector please so we keep you around...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just watch the CO in the garage if you use it a lot... Get a CO detector please so we keep you around...
Always. That isn’t something to mess around with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
104 Posts
Years ago at work I rented the front section of a 30k sq ft building. The business around back decided to modify a similar heater with a thermostat, running it all winter.
I opened my business one Monday morning and there was my pet shop cat by the door, dead from CO.
Guy (owner) around back had their furnace repaired, I never got over my pet dying that way.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Years ago at work I rented the front section of a 30k sq ft building. The business around back decided to modify a similar heater with a thermostat, running it all winter.
I opened my business one Monday morning and there was my pet shop cat by the door, dead from CO.
Guy (owner) around back had their furnace repaired, I never got over my pet dying that way.

I can't click a like on this post but it shows you CO doesn't pick and choose who it can kill.. Sorry about your pet, I would feel the same.
I stress with my job as an inspector the necessity of CO detectors in any environment. I have two in my barn one on each level, one in my garage and two in my home on each level along with smokes in my house. I almost died once when I was 20 years old while hunting with my father in law up in Vermont because he used to use the Holiday camper propane stove for heat,,,, I had a hard time breathing and had a massive headache and got up from bed and opened the door and when I did the stove which was burning a very low flickering yellow flame rose to a nice blue flame and if I didn't get up neither of us would have... There wasn't much oxygen left in the camper... You can bet after that experience I never went with him again and I learned the dangers of CO..
We used to read about "parkers" getting CO poisoning while keeping their car running in the winter but it never dawned on me it could also happen to me.
Respect CO. I do.

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
This is good advice. The problem is that Kidde CO detectors for example warn not to install in a location that gets below 40F or above 100F. That pretty much eliminates an unheated garage or work area.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
This is good advice. The problem is that Kidde CO detectors for example warn not to install in a location that gets below 40F or above 100F. That pretty much eliminates an unheated garage or work area.
But remember he is using a heater to bring the temp up so even that Kidde detector will/should work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Home here we have three propane furnaces, and two vented propane heaters.
Garage has the largest Lennox one they made, I keep thermostat at 55.
Where I was renting in the city the owner soon moved out, then rented out the main section as a garage.
Those guys were insane.
One winter day I got this horrible headache, looked around back, a guy was running a car with doors shut. I called 911, fire department. They heard car revving in background, I said I was getting sleepy...I swear I immediately heard sirens. Parking lot filled with fire trucks, fire marshal ran in with CO detector...it was off the charts.
City closed that "garage" down. Then owner rented to more nuts!
This time I could smell fumes, I called fire department. The shop was closed but I could let the fire marshal in through the back way. Now here's the scene...they took pictures and the fire marshal had one enlarged, hung it over his desk.
In middle of floor was a Kerosun heated running full blast. On either side was a 55 gallon barrel, one was filled with used motor oil, other filled with gasoline...no top.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Home here we have three propane furnaces, and two vented propane heaters.
Garage has the largest Lennox one they made, I keep thermostat at 55.
Where I was renting in the city the owner soon moved out, then rented out the main section as a garage.
Those guys were insane.
One winter day I got this horrible headache, looked around back, a guy was running a car with doors shut. I called 911, fire department. They heard car revving in background, I said I was getting sleepy...I swear I immediately heard sirens. Parking lot filled with fire trucks, fire marshal ran in with CO detector...it was off the charts.
City closed that "garage" down. Then owner rented to more nuts!
This time I could smell fumes, I called fire department. The shop was closed but I could let the fire marshal in through the back way. Now here's the scene...they took pictures and the fire marshal had one enlarged, hung it over his desk.
In middle of floor was a Kerosun heated running full blast. On either side was a 55 gallon barrel, one was filled with used motor oil, other filled with gasoline...no top.

I believe you are lucky to be posting 7 That's just crazy nuts.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I am lucky. I had my father call me one day and the widow next to him told him she was having a garage on her property torn down and if he wanted any thing just take it over the weekend. We had just moved in here and they had a hanging furnace in there. We got it out of there and hung it here and over the next 25 years have had no problem with it. We hung it using my 1020 and FEL them hab a heating guy hook it up. Keep it set on 55 most of the winter
Just raise it when I need to work out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts