Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do have one I'd like to give away, so I was wondering if anybody here has had this same problem.
Now folks this isn't just any old TV, It's one of those Toshiba 55 inch projection TV's that weighs about 150 lbs.
I thought I might be able to get a few bucks for it but no dice. It has a good picture but it gets a little dark during low light scenes. So I've tried to give it away- same deal. Even the scrappers don't want them anymore. i could use it for ballast
on the 2032r if it wasn't so bulky :laugh:.
We did buy a 65 inch LED job that I can lift with one hand, with a picture you need to wear sunglasses to watch.
So if anyone out there has any suggestions I haven't heard, or maybe I have, shout em out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,692 Posts
So if anyone out there has any suggestions I haven't heard, or maybe I have, shout em out.
I suspect your only option is the only remaining option we have around here. Find out where the local electronic recycling depot is and take it there. Around here we are no longer permitted to put ANYTHING electronic in the weekly trash and the only recycling depot within reasonable driving distance charges $0.50 / pound. Just a couple months ago I paid to dispose of my last heavy electronic item. Our township has an annual free cleanup day where you are allowed one pickup load or one trailer load of just about anything except hazardous waste. They also stopped accepting electronics two years ago. It's no wonder you see old TVs laying on the side of the road. :-(

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I had a 60" Toshiba exactly like yours. We only swapped it out because as you know, l its a beast.
When we had no friends or family that would take it off our hands for free, we actually put it out at the curb, where I actually put a sign on it saying 'FREE, WORKS GREAT", and even taped the remote and manual for it to the side. And yet, it sat there for 3 days until they came and picked it up on BULK day for garbage.
Such a shame but, people want those thin Tvs these days. Cant say I blame them because, thats exactly what we did. :banghead:

·
Registered
322 Posts
we actually put it out at the curb, where I actually put a sign on it saying 'FREE, WORKS GREAT" .... And yet, it sat there for 3 days until they came and picked it up on BULK day for garbage.
I made that same mistake. I once put 4 aluminum wheels with tires on the curb with a sign that said FREE. They sat there over a week. I changed the FREE sign to one that said $50 and they were gone the next day. :good2:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put stuff at the end of the driveway all the time.. it usually don't last long. If something is still there in the morning it goes to the dump.. A few weeks ago I wanted someone to haul an old toilet to the dump for me. I posted a ad on facebook and asked for someone to do the run for $20..I listed I had an old generator and other stuff as well.. I took the first guy on the list and he was happy to do it for me. By the time he left we filled half his pickup..:laugh: I don't bother selling on craigslist.. I just want stuff gone. I was going to put my old murray lawn tractor out on the street and a neighbor talked me into giving it another neighbor.. he drove it off and went and cut his grass. I was just happy I didn't have to work on it anymore...:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I made that same mistake. I once put 4 aluminum wheels with tires on the curb with a sign that said FREE. They sat there over a week. I changed the FREE sign to one that said $50 and they were gone the next day. :good2:
That is funny I did a electrical job once and replaced a bunch of base board heaters and the home owner wondered what to do with the old ones? I put them in the boxes taped the ends and wrote "Do Not Take" and sat them in there alley way out back they were gone that night. Works every time!!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
You could try:

- Freecycle.org - Sign up and put up a post to give it away
- The "free" section of craigslist.com
- Goodwill donation
- Offer to a Senior Center or similar
- Check with local real estate agents to see if they have a possible recipient it could be donated to

·
Registered
21,157 Posts
I have issues with stuff like this all the time. Can’t get rid of stuff.

Our township will only take weekly trash if it is in bags.

Once a year they have their “clean up day”. But they charge $20 for a pickup load - no matter if you only have one item. Every few years I collect enough to go. Had an old 32” tube type TV. Nope - won’t take it. So what am I supposed to do with it? There is no recycling type place anywhere around here.

The township came up with this great clean up program to stop people from throwing appliances over the bank on the back roads. But they don’t take appliances or electronics.......

I also now have 2 LED TVs that I can’t get rid of. We upgraded to larger ones over the last couple years. Only use 1 TV. I would give them away to someone half deserving just to get rid of them.

Also now have a washing machine sitting behind the barn.

The only way I have come up with to get rid of stuff is to dismantle it and/or crush/smash it with my loader to fit it into garbage bags. Looks like I will be doing that with the washing machine and TVs this spring.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well, in the past 80-90 years we have gone from "A chicken in every pot and a car in every garage" (Hoover, 1928 campaign) to "A flat screen TV in every room and a Smartphone in every pocket" (rw580, 2019). And by the way, those flat screens and phones have to be current technology at all time.

Back in the old days (pre-2000), a TV was a TV, and as long as it worked, it had value. Now, if it isn't the latest smart TV with 4K, you can't give them away. Without readily available and affordable disposal means, these items are going to be snuck in to the landfills or abandoned in the woods. I myself have been tempted to slice and dice old technology so it would fit in trash bags, but have instead come up with "Plan D".

"Plan D" involves finding space in the basement (or barn/shed if you have one) to store it out of the way. Then when I die (the "D" in "Plan D") it becomes my heirs' problem.

·
Registered
21,157 Posts
Well, in the past 80-90 years we have gone from "A chicken in every pot and a car in every garage" (Hoover, 1928 campaign) to "A flat screen TV in every room and a Smartphone in every pocket" (rw580, 2019). And by the way, those flat screens and phones have to be current technology at all time.

Back in the old days (pre-2000), a TV was a TV, and as long as it worked, it had value. Now, if it isn't the latest smart TV with 4K, you can't give them away. Without readily available and affordable disposal means, these items are going to be snuck in to the landfills or abandoned in the woods. I myself have been tempted to slice and dice old technology so it would fit in trash bags, but have instead come up with "Plan D".

"Plan D" involves finding space in the basement (or barn/shed if you have one) to store it out of the way. Then when I die (the "D" in "Plan D") it becomes my heirs' problem.
I like your “Plan D”. I think I have an empty space back in the corner of the barn loft.....

·
Premium Member
10,692 Posts
I had an old CRT TV and took it to Best Buy - had to pay $35 for them to take it.
Wow... did you have to haul it into the store as well? I made the mistake of taking an old laptop to Circuit City for disposal. I had to fill out a stack of forms. I won't repeat that mistake.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gettin rid of my TV

Also see that you have a backhoe?????

:laugh: I see where you are going here! I could do that but I can't bring myself to do it. The only thing buried out back is my four dogs in their own cemetery. The way things are nowadays the environmental police would find out and come and fine me. I did tell the wife if she didn't quit griping about me buying my tractor I was going to use that backhoe. :laugh:

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd take that backhoe and do some service work on it....maybe you could put remains in a 5 gallon bucket and take to your pollution police....set in on a heavy tarp and go to it...but "beeeeee" sure to get a new home for the critters....

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
:laugh: I see where you are going here! I could do that but I can't bring myself to do it. The only thing buried out back is my four dogs in their own cemetery. The way things are nowadays the environmental police would find out and come and fine me. I did tell the wife if she didn't quit griping about me buying my tractor I was going to use that backhoe. :laugh:
Duh! Brain fart. I just got it! :banghead::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
The 32" Sony Wega that we watched for 12 years got relegated to the basement family room in 2015. I still watched it, as my wife watched the new one upstairs. Well, now that she watches everything on her computer, I am the only one that watches the new one which is really nice! No fighting over what to watch!:thumbup1gif:Anyway, it's time to get rid of the old one. I'll give Best Buy a call, but if that don't work, I'm thinking of taking it out back of my property, and unleash my AR on it. Reduce it to the smallest pieces I can bag, for the trash people to take!

·
Premium Member
10,692 Posts
The 32" Sony Wega that we watched for 12 years got relegated to the basement family room in 2015. I still watched it, as my wife watched the new one upstairs. Well, now that she watches everything on her computer, I am the only one that watches the new one which is really nice! No fighting over what to watch!:thumbup1gif:Anyway, it's time to get rid of the old one. I'll give Best Buy a call, but if that don't work, I'm thinking of taking it out back of my property, and unleash my AR on it. Reduce it to the smallest pieces I can bag, for the trash people to take!
Ugh... I had one of those. That is about 165 lbs. of PITA - with probably 130 lbs. of that being the tube. I was lucky in that I gave it away while it was still working (and when there was still analog TV). The conditions were "It's free to whoever carries it out of here". :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts