Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the clutch was frozen soild:banghead: it was so stuck that i went to full throttle and pulled back so hard on the clutch lever /pully brake that i stalled out the 8.2l. so pulled the clutch cover and about a cup of water ran out clutch was rusted solid. i loosend all the nuts and hit it with a 5lb sledge till it released. cleaned it all up put it back together adjusted the pressure plate and then sprayed it all down with lube.

it works so smooth now and way better than it ever did. cost was free:bigthumb:

then took it on a hour round trip to the gas station no problems. ran it back home on 100% d2 picks of the smoke when i stabbed the throttle and just running down the road was a puff puff puff of white smoke (gasoline produces 0 smoke) it was cool looking. i lost some speed on the straight diesel vs gas

now giving it a proper clean up:greentractorride:

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
That white smoke isn't burning coolant is it?

I take care of a property for a family friend on the other side of town. My little M always draws attention when I drive it over to mow. Little kids and old guys get the biggest kick out of seeing it. And why fuss with cans when there is a gas station on my way?

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
He swapped over from burning gasoline to diesel fuel. You can do that on these older machines. You start and stop them on gasoline. When hot you use "tractor fuel", kerosene, or light diesel as it was more economical. :good2:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
He swapped over from burning gasoline to diesel fuel. You can do that on these older machines. You start and stop them on gasoline. When hot you use "tractor fuel", kerosene, or light diesel as it was more economical. :good2:
correct its muti fueled can run any ratio/combination but have to set up the carb needles for correct performance on the mix. #2 diesel is alot heavier fuel then kero. i never run 100%d2 before most 70%d2 30% gas. the hotter the engine temp the better it burns the heavier fuels.. temps were around 160f with the radiator curtin fully closed on a 98 degree day. if it was under a working load and temps could get up to 180-200f it probally wouldnt puff any white. it runs alot better on straight gasoline. it is rated at 40hp on kero wonder what it is on modern gasoline got to be more..:greentractorride:

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
I forgot to mention these tractors have separate fuel tanks for this purpose. There's a valve the operator can select which tank the engine draws from. :good2:

·
Registered
740 Posts
My G was an all-fuel tractor, but I never tried to put anything but gasoline thru it. My tractor was missing the little warm-up fuel tank. I knew it could run on kerosene and I was pretty sure it would run on a mix of kero/#1 diesel, but I didn't know they could run on straight diesel... let alone straight #2. You'll have to try something crazy like JP-8 next!

I tried some leftover 110 AV gas one time and was getting fire out of the stack under high loads. Surprisingly I didn't break anything.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention these tractors have separate fuel tanks for this purpose. There's a valve the operator can select which tank the engine draws from. :good2:
there is a main tank under the hood (the round cap in the middle) that is 23.5g and was meant for distillate fuels like k1 which was pennies on the dollar compared to gasoline back then. the little round tank closest to the operator is 1.5g tank meant for gasoline to start and stop on. there is a 3 way fuel valve to switch tanks. but i run gasoline in the main tank and diesel in the small tank just for fun. k1 prices now are stupid high like 6$gallon at the pump if you can find it. so d2 it is.

compression ratio is only like 3.9:1 so octane in the fuel is a non issue and the cooling system is massive as it holds 14 gallons meant to work all day at full power in 100 degree heat without overheating. so keeping temps up while just driving around is the bigger issue when running heavy distillate fuels as it may foul a spark plug and if the fuel is not burn completely will have less power. but distillate fuels has to be better then gas for cylinder wear do to its lubrication properties i would think:greentractorride:

oh and i put in one ounce of cheap 2-stroke oil to a gallon of gas to help lube the cylinder walls and keep wear down. it dont even notice it still starts right up with no smoke. dont wanna even try starting it on distillates:banghead:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts