Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving closer towards a purchase and looking to understand how to think about dealers since I've never bought a tractor like this before.

When I've bought cars new I've picked the dealer who made me the best deal, sometimes traveling 4+ hours away to get the vehicle I wanted at the right price. Then I pick a local dealer for service who seem to have always been happy to pick up a new service client.

There are two dealers near me, Pittsfield Lawn and Tractor (~5 miles) and United Ag & Turf (~20 miles). I am guessing United Ag will come in with the best price due to size. On the flip side, PLT would be most convenient for service, and would be easy to call them and have them send a truck to pick it up. If I have to trailer it myself, then that's an extra few K since I don't have a trailer and would just as soon not have one.

I didn't see any discussion of PLT searching the threads here, so I don't know if they are better/same/worse than United Ag, leaving location aside. I'm not against paying some premium to buy from them if the service relationship is more important than it is with cars.

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
Ultimately, service matters. You can talk to both dealers, get a configuration you want and compare their pricing. I wouldn't bet on United Ag & Turf being cheaper.

I bought my dump trailer from PLT. Their sales people were confused for the most part.

It's a drive for me to get there and I called, made all the arrangements for the sale and told them when I'd be there. When I git there a few days later the sales guy was "Off for the afternoon" (even though HE scheduled the pick up time!), no one knew where the paperwork was and when they did find it, it had all the wrong info on it. (Apparently it confused them that someone from Berlin MA would buy something from them so all the paperwork had my address as Berlin NY).

What should have been an hour to pick the trailer up ended up taking close to 4 hours. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

Reactions: sansbury

·
Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
245 Posts
United Ag & Turf owns most of the dealerships around me. (East Texas). I have only had one relatively good experience with them, when I bought a slightly used box scraper from them. Even then I was missing a pin by the time I drug it home on the trailer. Their dealerships are flashy, but their parts guys don’t have a clue. I doubt any of them ever even sat in a tractor seat. I will go to the dealer in Crockett for parts and service. They are friendly and seem to possess some knowledge. The service manager is awesome.

My advice, before you buy talk to the service dept and parts department at each dealer, and have a few “trap” questions ready. Then decide which dealer you want to hand $40,000 to.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I'm moving closer towards a purchase and looking to understand how to think about dealers since I've never bought a tractor like this before.

When I've bought cars new I've picked the dealer who made me the best deal, sometimes traveling 4+ hours away to get the vehicle I wanted at the right price. Then I pick a local dealer for service who seem to have always been happy to pick up a new service client.

There are two dealers near me, Pittsfield Lawn and Tractor (~5 miles) and United Ag & Turf (~20 miles). I am guessing United Ag will come in with the best price due to size. On the flip side, PLT would be most convenient for service, and would be easy to call them and have them send a truck to pick it up. If I have to trailer it myself, then that's an extra few K since I don't have a trailer and would just as soon not have one.

I didn't see any discussion of PLT searching the threads here, so I don't know if they are better/same/worse than United Ag, leaving location aside. I'm not against paying some premium to buy from them if the service relationship is more important than it is with cars.

Call United AG in Lancaster, ask for Adam Pitarys. He is the sales manager. Tell him Bob L asked you to call him for a quote. He'll send the quote to haggle over, then when excepted the tractor will be dropped of in your yard for you. If there are any issues he'll send someone to your house. You can't get better than that, and Adam is a super guy.

Good luck, Here's a picture of mine the day it was delivered.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought my dump trailer from PLT. Their sales people were confused for the most part.
I walked in off the street one day and I kind of got that impression. As much as I appreciate a sales guy who doesn't lay it on thick, this guy went a bit the other way. The guy I've been dealing with over email has been a little bit better.

Call United AG in Lancaster, ask for Adam Pitarys. He is the sales manager. Tell him Bob L asked you to call him for a quote.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm out near Pittsfield though, so Lancaster is >100 miles away, so guessing that might be a little far for his service techs.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
There is a United AG near you. Call Adam and ask him for his suggestions. You won't find lower prices or better service.

And I was just out in Springfield for my 2nd Covid shot. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I was just out in Springfield for my 2nd Covid shot. Good luck.
Will do. Lancaster is an easy-ish drive for me right now (I live primarily in Boston) too. And hoping my turn for the shot isn't too far off--I'm in Group 4 or whatever the last phase is before the general public and I've signed up for every wait list I've heard about to see if I can get it a little sooner. Hasn't been a fun year to live in the city but allowing myself a little optimism the next 12 months can be better.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
We’re all in a pickle in the Northeast since United bought everyone out. I know of Adam, and Padula, both great. United bought my dealer (NCT), and I had concerns, but the whole old crew is there and I feel they actually sharpened up a little. Bought a new battery at NCT. No issues. United also bought Nashua Outdoor Power, and I stopped in and bought 6gal of hy-gard and they were super nice, helpful, and I got a survey from United a few weeks later. My feeling is, for now, United knows they need to put on a good show because the perception of someone coming in and buying up all the family owned local dealers could only spell trouble, and they need to fire on all cylinders. I’m impressed with the change so far. Ask me again in 5yrs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
United bought my dealer (NCT), and I had concerns, but the whole old crew is there and I feel they actually sharpened up a little.
Yeah, it's a riddle. Sometimes smaller businesses are small because they've gotten as big as their owners are capable of handling--or a bit more than that. It's not that they don't care, it's just that managing a larger business is an entirely different skill and the wise ones know when it's time to either limit their growth or sell out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got mine from padula which is united ag now. Give the Raynham store a call and ask for Kevin. He'll give you the best deal.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I guess the consensus is that United AG is the place to go, at least here in the northeast. I worked with Nashua Outdoor Power, but they reneged on a promise when it came time for my first trade and I never went back. That won't happen with United AG, and the size of the company gives them some buying power. The Lancater site off of RT2 is a very large site and the stock almost anything you could want.

I didn't know there were so many MA or northeast guys around. Time to plan a tractor day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My husband and I just had a great experience purchasing our first tractor from United Ag in Chatham (not sure if this is the closest one to you in Pittsfield?) We live just a few miles away, so don't share the complications of your situation vis a vis service, but have only good things to say about Max, who gave us a pretty decent deal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My husband and I just had a great experience purchasing our first tractor from United Ag in Chatham (not sure if this is the closest one to you in Pittsfield?) We live just a few miles away, so don't share the complications of your situation vis a vis service, but have only good things to say about Max, who gave us a pretty decent deal.

Good luck!
Thanks! That is the closest one to me and the sales guy I've been talking to there has been very responsive so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts