Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a complete 7' western snow plow from a buddy. Its in great shape. I am wondering, has anyone else converted one to fit and work properly on the loader. Or is it just better to buy the snow plow from the dealer?

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
A guy down the road has a western plow he converted to his 3720 front end loader. He's an old school farmer and very talented in fabrication. I once saw him laying on his back stick welding the bottom of his grain bin over his head. I think any plow could be converted if you have the talent..

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,787 Posts
I agree with Drifterbike,
I think any plow could be converted if you have the talent..
It may be easier to make a frame for the tractor and forget the loader arms.

·
Registered
23,039 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is the weight of a 7' Western plow. I have no idea but I would think it would be much heavier than the Deere plow made for the tractor.

With the proper lift setup I don't think it would be a problem lifting it - but when plowing - especially if you have a gravel or dirt driveway - a heavy plow is going to cause some damage to the road quickly.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,787 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is the weight of a 7' Western plow. I have no idea but I would think it would be much heavier than the Deere plow made for the tractor.

With the proper lift setup I don't think it would be a problem lifting it - but when plowing - especially if you have a gravel or dirt driveway - a heavy plow is going to cause some damage to the road quickly.
:thumbup1gif: I was thinking weight also but not for the same reason.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I have about 900 feet of gravel drive to my house. The plow has shoes that i think will keep it up and out of the gravel. Just wondering about all this as the plows i have seen available from the dealers seem on the light side.

·
Registered
23,039 Posts
There is a traction issue here. This is the way I look at it -

The Western plow is designed mostly for 3/4 ton pickups and 1 ton+ dump trucks. Those trucks weigh a minimum of 7k# (just guessing). Now what is the weight of your tractor?

Your gravel drive when not yet frozen will be a challenge no matter what you use. The heavier the plow the more of a challenge it will be. Skid shoes are not going to stop the plow from digging in. Once frozen however it will be fine.

The weather has changed over the years. I used to do my first plowing on an un-frozen driveway, then it would usually freeze and be fine the rest of the season. The past couple years however it seems I am plowing an un-frozen driveway more than when it is frozen - it keeps warming up during the winter.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Western plow - just hoping you can be aware of any possible pitfalls. Imagine doing all the work to modify it for your tractor only to be a nightmare to use.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I think it could work, but what all is included in the complete system he has? You won't need any of the truck side parts, the pump, controller, etc so it's not worth paying for. All you'll be able to use is the blade, cylinders and possibly part of the mounting system. At a minimum you'll need one rear SCV on your tractor if you want to hydraulically angle the blade, unless you already have a diverter valve plumbed to the front of your loader. That goes for any plow though, even the ones made for your tractor.

There will be some welding and custom fitting required to put loader mounts on it, it shouldn't be too hard to do if you're handy with welding and light fabricating. Weight may be an issue, but it may not. Your tractor can certainly lift it, though like others have said it will try to dig in on soft ground. Skid shoes will help, the bigger the better. You may still need to keep an eye on it because if it's soft enough the shoes will sink a little. No big deal, worst case you don't have to put the loader into float mode. You can lower it to an inch or so off the ground and let the tractor hold it up instead of digging in.

I'd try it for the right price. :munch:

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Are you getting the whole western system or just the blade? I had a Western plow on my pickup and what it basically was a self contained unit. The pump hung on a A frame mounted in front of the grilland only the controls were inside the cab. If you got the whole setup it would not be to bad to mount a frame on the front of the tractor for the electric pump and not even need the tractors hydrolics.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Made one for my 790. 7' western I got for $50. Works good although I chain up when it get slippery.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I had a Meyer plow setup on a loader on a JD 4120. I used it one time. I did not like the how far out in front of the tractor it was. It plowed good on asphalt, I could not keep it from digging into my gravel drive. I had skid shoes on the plow, but they dug into the gravel & then the plow would dig into the gravel.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I had a Meyer plow setup on a loader on a JD 4120. I used it one time. I did not like the how far out in front of the tractor it was. It plowed good on asphalt, I could not keep it from digging into my gravel drive. I had skid shoes on the plow, but they dug into the gravel & then the plow would dig into the gravel.
With them old Meyer plows the A frame must be level too the ground for it to push correctly. Last year I used my ex shops old Meyer plow. The only thing holding up the blade upright was the angling cylinders. Even with the A frame level it wouldn't scrape clean.

Reactions: pcabe5 and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,787 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
4,434 Posts

I'm not a fan of loader mounted plows to begin with, but since this Western is probably way heavier than the deere plows, I would be extremely cautious about loader-mounting it.

Gizmo2 converted a Meyer plow to mount to his 2320 frame. I can't find the thread but I think it would be a better option to frame mount, not to mention simpler to make brackets and things.

Reactions: pcabe5 and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,787 Posts
I'm not a fan of loader mounted plows to begin with, but since this Western is probably way heavier than the deere plows, I would be extremely cautious about loader-mounting it.

Gizmo2 converted a Meyer plow to mount to his 2320 frame. I can't find the thread but I think it would be a better option to frame mount, not to mention simpler to make brackets and things.
IMG_1244_2.jpg

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Wolfman - THANKS for starting this thread! It's pretty timely as I came across a 6' Western blade on CL and was considering the same thing as you. Hopefully I'm not hijacking your thread and the replies to my questions/comments will help us both.

Here's the blade I'm looking at. The CL ad describes it as "old style western 6 1/2 foot snow plow blade only".
6ft_WesternSnowPlow-Front.jpg

6ft_WesternSnowPlow-1.jpg

I was considering mounting it in a similar way to ChrisR's approach - except I'd put some brackets on my Artillian fork frame. Also, you'll notice the blade doesn't have skids, but it does have the mounts for them. I do have a pair of 6" round skids that I picked up some time ago that I could put on it. I also realize that the blade shown is missing the hydraulic cylinders so that would have to be addressed.

Weight of the blade has been mentioned. I found a website listing some specs for Western snow plows. (scroll down to post 3). This shows that the "complete" blade weighs somewhere around 560 pounds. Of course, I don't know if complete truck frame or what.

For comparison purposes, I pulled up the specs of a Frontier AF11E blade. That shows as 400 pounds, but that might not include all of the hydraulics since that's an option. So the Western plow is almost 50% heavier than the "comparable" Deere blade. That's fairly significant, but begs the question - Did Deere design the AF11E to be the optimum weight for an LCUT or did they design it to be as inexpensive (ie - light) as possible while still "getting the job done"?

So, I guess Wolfman and I are in the same boat! Is this a good idea? They're asking $300 for the blade I showed, but I'm sure it could be had for less than that. Add $200-300 for hydraulics (I already have a front diverter valve for my grapple) and another $200-300 for what I'll need to have fabbed up to attach it to my Artillian frame and I'm pushing $600-1000 (you know it will go "over budget" :banghead:) for something that may or may not work.

Or, maybe for the amount of snow I have to clear (375' of gravel driveway and 2000 sf of concrete apron) I should just keep using the bucket on my FEL. :unknown: Last year we got so little snow that I don't think I even fired up the tractor to clear it. For the smaller snows, I have a Toro snowblower that I use to clear the concrete apron and sidewalks. That takes me about 40 minutes all together. Not too bade.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow!!! Thanks for all the great replies. Still don't know what route to go..lol..might wait until next year to buy or fab a plow. i will just use my loader and rear blade for the winter season this year.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It's so nice to know the loader mounted 80 inch wide blade I've used to clear up to 2-1/2 feet of snow out of my driveway the last 22 years won't work! I can even pile snow up 8 to 10 feet high. Try that with a tractor frame mounted blade! I carry the front wheels in the air to get maximum down force on the blade to scrape my concrete drive clean. Longest distance I push snow is about 80-100 feet. If I had longer pushes I'd want the blade to be able to pivot but that's not needed for my situation. Having the blade pivot would just make the tractor/loader/blade unnecessarily long.

I used to clean all the snow from all over the barnyard with the tractor & loader with the 80 inch wide snow bucket I refer to as Snow Mover #2 back in the early/mid 1960's. I'd build huge piles 8-10 feet tall and me and my St. Bernard dog would climb all over them when I was done.

If your loader is strong enough and rigid enough to load buckets full of dirt or gravel on dry dirt or concrete you should have no worry about if your loader is strong enough to push snow with a blade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts