Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3-ton Kobalt floor jack that works fine for the wife's car but doesn't raise up high enough to lift my Tundra (2012 4WD). I end up having to drag out my 10-ton bottle jack if I want to take a tire off and, well... I'm getting to old for that garbage! :laugh: I want a floor jack that I can wheel under it and lift it high enough to take a wheel off and work on teh brakes or even just to swap from my winter tires to summer tires.

Lots of you folks have trucks. Lots of you guys work on them. What are you using a floor jack?

·
Premium Member
10,983 Posts
How high would the floor jack need to go to lift your Tundra?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I use a 4×4 underneath my floor jack. The wheels straddle the 4×4 and the bottom of the jack sits perfectly on it. That usually gives me the extra height I need.

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How high would the floor jack need to go to lift your Tundra?
Well, it's about 12"-13" from the garage floor to the bottom of the frame. Maybe another 6" of lift for anything I can think of needing.

The Kobalt I have now will reach as high as the frame and lift it about 1/2" before maxing out.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The little ,I call them baby jacks, jacks that AutoZone and Advance sells works fine on cars. Our Odyssey , Sienna and Subie Outback NOPE,

To solve my problem, I placed a 2x8 under the jack and put 3/8" band around the outer edges so the jack wouldn't move.

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,983 Posts
I think it is safe to say that the majority of folks use some type of board/plank on top the jack when lifting a higher vehicle. Not only does it provide the extra lift necessary but the wood eliminates damage to the undercarriage from metal to metal contact.

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
My 3 ton floor jack has a 5 inch extension. Take off the lift plate, insert extension, replace lift plate. Most of the time I do not use it, I prefer to lift by an A-arm or the rear axle cause that's where I am going to put a jack stand.

Can't use the 3 ton or 2 ton on my Elantra, car sits too low. Have to drive it on ramps and then if I need to pull a wheel I can jack it up from there.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
What are you using a floor jack?
I've got an old 3-ton Harbor Freight jack that I bought 20+ years ago. Works for everything I do.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm using a Hein Warner/ Lincoln 3 ton. Just used it last night to put some tire chains on the 3039r.

https://www.mile-x.com/hein-werner-hw93652-3-ton-service-jack/

•Capacity: 3 Ton
•Min Height: 5"
•Max Height: 23 1/2"
•Jack Size: 31 1/2" L x 15 1/2" W

I've had it about 5 years and it seems to work flawlessly still.

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
I'm using a Hein Warner/ Lincoln 3 ton. Just used it last night to put some tire chains on the 3039r.

https://www.mile-x.com/hein-werner-hw93652-3-ton-service-jack/

•Capacity: 3 Ton
•Min Height: 5"
•Max Height: 23 1/2"
•Jack Size: 31 1/2" L x 15 1/2" W

I've had it about 5 years and it seems to work flawlessly still.
I've got a Snap-on YA-700 floor jack that was made by Lincoln. It's identical to your jack and is probably ~20 years old. This same jack was marketed by Lincoln, Blackhawk & Hein Werner in 2 1/2 & 3 Ton capacities. It's a very rugged jack. Mechanical and hydraulic repair parts are still available for them.

It's low enough to get under compact vehicles and lifts to ~ 24"

YA-700B-2.jpg

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I use one of two jacks depending on the situation. They are both products from Northern Tool, ARCAN I think is the brand name. One is rated at 3.5 tons and has a short reach. The other one I use has a longer reach and is a lower profile (works on my Pontiac G8 which sits low) but is rated for less, I think 2 or 3 tons, can't remember. Anyways either one works on my Chevy 3500 dually that has a 2 inch leveling kit and bigger tires. So it sits fairly high off the ground but I have no issues with lifting height or capacity. I would go to Northern today since they have their Black Friday Sale going on. You won't save much but it's better than nothing.

My only issue with either jack is they are heavy so don't think you are going to be moving it around like a NASCAR crewmember. So if you are looking for one that is light, these are not the ones to buy. I used to have an all aluminum craftsman that was pretty light but it couldn't lift the front end of my truck and the cylinder in it finally died after a few years. I am not that enamored with all aluminum jacks anymore as I have had two of them and both times the lift cylinder started leaking rendering them useless. I recommend you do some research on the lift cylinder/hydraulics on whatever brand you buy as not all are created equal.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I needed something to get under a low clearance car and still have enough lift to work on my truck. I ended up going to Harbor Freight and getting their 2 ton, low profile jack and a cross beam.

I can lift the the entire front or rear of the car at the same time, or one corner of the truck.

j2.jpg

j1.jpg

I know HF has a reputation for cheap, poor quality, imported stuff, but their things have improved a lot in the last 10 years.

I had been using small bottle jacks and a very small 2 ton floor jack, but they just didn't do what I needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts