Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard about how good the 7 iron decks are. Is this an option if you buy a Tractor now? I am headed to the dealer tomorrow to hopefully purchase a new machine and know there is a 54 and 60 inch deck but was just wanted to educate myself before talking to salesman tomorrow. If it’s something that was offered years ago I don’t want to sound like an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
I believe both the 54d and the 60d are 7 iron decks now, and yes they are available for the 2025R, I have the 60d on mine. Unsure what the 7 iron actually means other than they are very heavy. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Unless they changed it from 2017, the 54D deck is not "7 Iron." 7 Iron in JD parlance means a deck made from 7 gauge steel. The 54D is made from 10 gauge steel. The 60D deck is 7 gauge, making it a "7 Iron" deck.

The cut quality of "7 Iron" decks, as far as I know, comes from the 7 Iron branded decks on JD commercial mowers. I have no idea whether all JD 7 gauge decks match this cut quality.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Unless they changed it from 2017, the 54D deck is not "7 Iron." 7 Iron in JD parlance means a deck made from 7 gauge steel. The 54D is made from 10 gauge steel. The 60D deck is 7 gauge, making it a "7 Iron" deck.

The cut quality of "7 Iron" decks, as far as I know, comes from the 7 Iron branded decks on JD commercial mowers. I have no idea whether all JD 7 gauge decks match this cut quality.

There's nothing really "magical" about grass cutting. Tip speed + sharp blades.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts

54D AutoConnect 7-Iron Mid-Mount Side Discharge Mower

If you Look under build & Price it is a 7 gauge deck for the 54D on the 2025R But for the 1 series the 54inch deck is not a 7 Iron Deck or at least not Marketed as one :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
That would mean that either they changed it after I bought my 1025R in 2017, or the 1025R and the 2025R use a different 54" deck. That's...really odd and somewhat petty! I was really irked that my deck was 10 gauge steel and the 60D, which was 7 gauge, was just a few bucks more.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The green commercial 7 gauge deck was the best cutting mower deck I have ever owned, the taller mower deck can handle large quantities of grass and mulch it well. The other thing I noticed was that it would obliterate sticks in the yard.

Too bad they don’t include the heavier mower blades anymore like they did years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
That would mean that either they changed it after I bought my 1025R in 2017, or the 1025R and the 2025R use a different 54" deck. That's...really odd and somewhat petty! I was really irked that my deck was 10 gauge steel and the 60D, which was 7 gauge, was just a few bucks more.
I wouldn't Call that odd or Petty Because it something Deere Had Done In the Past with other series of Tractors X700 Ultimate series You could Only Get a 7 iron deck In 60 when Deere even Made 48inch & 54inch in 7iron decks But they were only available for ZTR's It was even a common Practice with the older 3020 series Medium Frame Compact tractors You could On get a 60D 7iron and Not a 72inch deck In 7 Iron :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
And this matters why :dunno: you have a 2032 with no deck. :munch:

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
And this matters why :dunno: you have a 2032 with no deck. :munch:
I'm just trying to get within 10% of your post count. It's brutal work! :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
I'm just trying to get within 10% of your post count. It's brutal work! :lol:
Long way to go, now you can add one more

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 54" deck is different on the 1025 and 2025. My dealer found this out the hard way when I bought my 2025. I ended up with a 60" deck.

EDIT: I didn't read to the end of thread before posting. Sorry to repeat what Jeff already stated.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Well good for you, assuming you were happy with the 60.

Is the 2025's 54 shaped like the 60 or is it a low capacity deck like the 1025's 54D?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I cant say whats available, but the 7 Iron, as stated previously, is a 7 gauge deck.
They are Deeres answer to the commercial welded decks other manufacturers use.
The big difference, and advantage in my experience, is that they are stamped instead of welded. This takes a LOT of force, but Deere was awful proud of it initially.
The nice thing about them is there are less hard corners in them for stuff to build up in. It also means a bit better airflow inside the deck, because there are less hard corners under there.

I wouldnt personally mind having a 10 gauge deck either, but can see the issue with the thicker one costing marginally more.
10 ga = 9/64" (just a hair thicker than 1/8")
7 ga = 3/16"

·
Registered
700 Posts
I cant say whats available, but the 7 Iron, as stated previously, is a 7 gauge deck.
They are Deeres answer to the commercial welded decks other manufacturers use.
The big difference, and advantage in my experience, is that they are stamped instead of welded. This takes a LOT of force, but Deere was awful proud of it initially.
The nice thing about them is there are less hard corners in them for stuff to build up in. It also means a bit better airflow inside the deck, because there are less hard corners under there.

I wouldnt personally mind having a 10 gauge deck either, but can see the issue with the thicker one costing marginally more.
10 ga = 9/64" (just a hair thicker than 1/8")
7 ga = 3/16"

And you can bend either one if you try. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have heard about how good the 7 iron decks are. Is this an option if you buy a Tractor now? I am headed to the dealer tomorrow to hopefully purchase a new machine and know there is a 54 and 60 inch deck but was just wanted to educate myself before talking to salesman tomorrow. If it’s something that was offered years ago I don’t want to sound like an idiot.

I don't think the truly branded 7 iron decks come on tractors only zero turns. My 72" deck on my 2038R is very different than a 72" 7 iron on a Ztrak. Check out HomesteadJoe's post above.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I don't think the truly branded 7 iron decks come on tractors only zero turns. My 72" deck on my 2038R is very different than a 72" 7 iron on a Ztrak. Check out HomesteadJoe's post above.
This is what the invoice for my 2038R says about the 72" deck:

JOHN DEERE 72D AutoConnect 7-
Iron Mid-Mount Side Discharge
Mower (MY17 and newer
2032R/2038R, 3R Series, and
3120-3720 Tractors)

I have not measured the thickness to verify the gage of the steel, but I will in the future....

Sincerely

1 - 20 of 28 Posts