Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a similar thread on the Subaru forums that I belong to. I'm going to start this thread to see what people have experienced with their 1025R.

First of all, John Deere ran ads inviting people to "Test drive a John Deere today". The "test drive" was a joke. The dealer let me drive it around the parking lot. My neighbor demo'd multiple brands of zero turn mowers. The dealers delivered the mowers to his home and he used them to cut his grass before deciding which one to purchase. Maybe that's just whining on my part but I threw it out there for you. I did a lot of research before deciding to purchase the 1025R rather than the Kubota BX. The lack of a proper test drive didn't affect my decision.

I had to send my 1025R back the day they delivered it. While mowing, the pto would shut off. This happened multiple times (over 20). The display would show error code "roi". The error code is in reference to the Reverse operation interlock. No, my foot was not on the "Reverse" travel pedal. I was traveling forward each time. The dealer first claimed that the tractor was working as designed and tried to claim operator error. After a few choice words, the dealer adjusted the interlock switch and I have not had that issue since.

One of the reasons I chose the JD over the Kubota was the AutoConnect mower deck. It is easy to remove and reinstall for the first 10 hours or so. After that, not so much. When I drive the tractor off of the deck the extension spring pulls the Bracket and Rod (front draft arms) out of the notches on the deck and it flops onto the floor. I replaced the U-bolts that are supposed to keep the bracket in place. I pried the U-bolts as tight as possible against the bracket while tightening the nuts. No luck.:banghead: I will be making modifications to the U-bolts to extend them over the bracket so that it stays in place. I was at the JD dealer the other day, looks like JD redesigned the notches on the new decks.

Other than those two issues, there has been nothing major. It runs good, gives a nice clean cut and is reliable.

An ADJUSTABLE suspension seat would be nice. Better yet, how about an air ride seat? At 6'2" and 230 pounds, the suspension seat does bottom out when I hit divits in the lawn.

The final thing that annoys me about my 1025R is the stupid $h!!t that breaks.
One of the hinges on the grass deflector chute broke. JD tech said he never saw one of those break before. Easy to fix, but that stupid little piece of bent metal strap was $27.
Last week the "port plate" broke. That is the port on the mower deck that you connect your garden hose to to clean the underside of the deck. It broke off by the bolt that holds it to the deck. Again an easy fix, and it was only a few dollars.
The next time I cut the grass the top link support that holds the top link up and out of the way when not being used.......you guessed it, broke. I'm heading to the dealer today to get/order that part.

Like I said, mainly stupid $h!t that is breaking, but annoying nonetheless.
If the deflector chute hinges continue to break, I will fabricate my own replacements. IMHO I should not have to making modifications or fabricating replacement parts for my 1025R.

Feel free to comment. Maybe my "test drive" was just a crappy dealer. Maybe, like the tech said, I'm the only one to ever have a deflector chute hinge break.
I'm done venting, time for a break:bigbeer:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
-The press the reverse pedal to shift from neutral to high or low
-the constant whining that gets louder the higher with higher rpms. Sounds like I'm turning to hard with a vehicle with power stearing(maybe it's not Normal? Lol. Think I read it was. That's why I didn't Persue it. I Noticed it more with the backhoe off and towards the back. Maybe just the hydro fluid moving through the lines?

Annoyed my cruise control just popped off cuz I thought I was pulling the E- brake and now I'm to lazy to fix it because I'll never use cruise control.
It does have me worried about the e-brake though. It looks to be installed the same way and the e-brake is pretty hard to pull up. Scared it's gonna break asap

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
-The press the reverse pedal to shift from neutral to high or low
-the constant whining that gets louder the higher with higher rpms. Sounds like I'm turning to hard with a vehicle with power stearing(maybe it's not Normal? Lol. Think I read it was. That's why I didn't Persue it. I Noticed it more with the backhoe off and towards the back. Maybe just the hydro fluid moving through the lines?

Annoyed my cruise control just popped off cuz I thought I was pulling the E- brake and now I'm to lazy to fix it because I'll never use cruise control.
It does have me worried about the e-brake though. It looks to be installed the same way and the e-brake is pretty hard to pull up. Scared it's gonna break asap
The whining you are hearing could be a hitch feedback linkage issue. If not adjusted correctly the hitch will dead head and the spool on the control valve wil not go to neutral. This heats up the hydraulic fluid pretty quick.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The whining you are hearing could be a hitch feedback linkage issue. If not adjusted correctly the hitch will dead head and the spool on the control valve wil not go to neutral. This heats up the hydraulic fluid pretty quick.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Gotcha.forgot to mention its two different whining noises. 1 Maybe more upfront around the engine. And I hear it more when the rpms are lower. (Think I didn't let it bother me because I believe I heard it in videoes)
Then there's the whining off to the back. It's not super loud. I only truly notice it when I'm around 25-3500 rpms

I'll search it out tonight or make another post so the OP don't say

You know What really annoys me about my 1025? When after I join a forum and start a thread A-holes jack it! :lolol:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nothing....except I have to leave it outside. Pretty much the best thing I have ever owned. No real problems or complaints.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi All
The only major problems I have had were with the seat assembly. The original base frame broke and was replaced under warranty with the later model better designed one which when it arrived was not fitted with the travel limiters for the seat belt bracket so had to get a second seat base. Then of course there was the well known rotation linkage which broke 3 times, the last time I repaired it myself no trouble since.:good2:
The only other problem that was Quickly fixed was when the dash panel face delaminated jamming the tachometer needle, the whole panel was replaced at 60 hrs.
"O" almost forgot the fuse blowing incident which I never got to the bottom off, I was fault finding it and all of a sudden it disappeared and has not reared its ugly head since:yahoo:
When I was looking at a SCUT the only real contenders were the John Deere and the Kabota BX when it came down to it there was only one choice the John Deere 1025R and I love it.:thumbup1gif:
Regards John

·
Registered
471 Posts
I love my tractor and I bought it knowing a couple of these things, but these still annoy me...

1. Rops height
2. Small back wheels
3. Stepping on the reverse pedal to get the shifter into low or high sometimes
4. The rough starting
5. Cycling the glow plug numerous times
6. I wish the loader lifted higher and had more capacity at times (I know, I know a bigger tractor will fix this:laugh:)
7. Not a big fan of the cut quality from the 54" deck with or without the mulching kit!
8. The exhaust dumping right on the stand for the loader

I bought another 318 garden tractor to take care of the cut quality issues.
All in all I am very happy with my 1025r. These things wouldn't stop me from buying it again or recommending to someone either.

·
Registered
471 Posts
There is a similar thread on the Subaru forums that I belong to. I'm going to start this thread to see what people have experienced with their 1025R.

First of all, John Deere ran ads inviting people to "Test drive a John Deere today". The "test drive" was a joke. The dealer let me drive it around the parking lot. My neighbor demo'd multiple brands of zero turn mowers. The dealers delivered the mowers to his home and he used them to cut his grass before deciding which one to purchase. Maybe that's just whining on my part but I threw it out there for you. I did a lot of research before deciding to purchase the 1025R rather than the Kubota BX. The lack of a proper test drive didn't affect my decision.

I had to send my 1025R back the day they delivered it. While mowing, the pto would shut off. This happened multiple times (over 20). The display would show error code "roi". The error code is in reference to the Reverse operation interlock. No, my foot was not on the "Reverse" travel pedal. I was traveling forward each time. The dealer first claimed that the tractor was working as designed and tried to claim operator error. After a few choice words, the dealer adjusted the interlock switch and I have not had that issue since.

One of the reasons I chose the JD over the Kubota was the AutoConnect mower deck. It is easy to remove and reinstall for the first 10 hours or so. After that, not so much. When I drive the tractor off of the deck the extension spring pulls the Bracket and Rod (front draft arms) out of the notches on the deck and it flops onto the floor. I replaced the U-bolts that are supposed to keep the bracket in place. I pried the U-bolts as tight as possible against the bracket while tightening the nuts. No luck.:banghead: I will be making modifications to the U-bolts to extend them over the bracket so that it stays in place. I was at the JD dealer the other day, looks like JD redesigned the notches on the new decks.

Other than those two issues, there has been nothing major. It runs good, gives a nice clean cut and is reliable.

An ADJUSTABLE suspension seat would be nice. Better yet, how about an air ride seat? At 6'2" and 230 pounds, the suspension seat does bottom out when I hit divits in the lawn.

The final thing that annoys me about my 1025R is the stupid $h!!t that breaks.
One of the hinges on the grass deflector chute broke. JD tech said he never saw one of those break before. Easy to fix, but that stupid little piece of bent metal strap was $27.
Last week the "port plate" broke. That is the port on the mower deck that you connect your garden hose to to clean the underside of the deck. It broke off by the bolt that holds it to the deck. Again an easy fix, and it was only a few dollars.
The next time I cut the grass the top link support that holds the top link up and out of the way when not being used.......you guessed it, broke. I'm heading to the dealer today to get/order that part.

Like I said, mainly stupid $h!t that is breaking, but annoying nonetheless.
If the deflector chute hinges continue to break, I will fabricate my own replacements. IMHO I should not have to making modifications or fabricating replacement parts for my 1025R.

Feel free to comment. Maybe my "test drive" was just a crappy dealer. Maybe, like the tech said, I'm the only one to ever have a deflector chute hinge break.
I'm done venting, time for a break:bigbeer:
How old is your tractor? If its new your dealer should fix those parts on the deck for free. I know still annoying to have to deal with but shouldn't they be under warranty?

Reactions: Hershmeister

·
Registered
913 Posts
The floor mat that I catch with the toe of my shoe just about every time I climb up to drive the tractor.

Maybe I should have ordered the tractor driving shoe option package with the square toes.

deereshoes.jpg

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My only complaint is that they now have a new loader and backhoe coming out.:nunu:

Good thing some you guys don't work in the heavy construction industry.
We have new pieces that cost over 500K a piece that have little and not so little issues all the time. Called Cat today about a couple items that were never fixed last week and was told "i'll call you right back". Well that was about 11 hours ago and now i'm sitting home while the wife heats up last night's left overs...:laugh:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
...the AutoConnect mower deck. It is easy to remove and reinstall for the first 10 hours or so. After that, not so much.
I've had mine now for just over three years now. I installed the deck myself, following the sticky here and the Deere instructions. I still have a 100% success rate in connecting/disconnecting the deck (aside from a couple occasions of user error). I have made zero adjustments to the deck since installing it.

My opinion, setup is critical. If done right, it works. If done in a hurry, not so much. If you can, save a couple hundred bucks and install it yourself. You can take your time and be sure that every step is done correctly.

I don't know if it is just me getting old or if things really are changing - but it seems like I encounter more sloppy workmanship these days than in years past. I recently bought my first* "drone", had to take it apart and finish tightening a couple screws on its camera gimbal before it was useable. Ridiculous. It was either fix it myself or warranty it and wait three to five weeks to get it back, possibly receiving a refurbished unit.

* first as in, first commercially available "drone". Been flying RC for decades, and quadcopters that I built myself for several years.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
:munch: Uhhhh, it doesn't have electrically controlled raise and lowering of ROPS? Other than that I'm pretty happy with my 1026R.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How old is your tractor? If its new your dealer should fix those parts on the deck for free. I know still annoying to have to deal with but shouldn't they be under warranty?
The recent broken items are just out of warranty.
As for the AutoConnect deck issue, that started while it was in warranty. I just dealt with it on my own. Seeing that the new decks have been redesigned, maybe I should have had the dealer mess with it in warranty. There may have been a fix for that issue that I don't know about.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
1 The small tires
2 The 1550 "idle" rpm
3 The super tall rops
4 The short length of engagement of the driveshaft couplers to the spline shafts.

I do still think it is a quality machine though, just a bit limited due to its small frame.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The price :lolol:

·
Administrator
20,849 Posts
it doesn't have electrically controlled raise and lowering of ROPS
This sounds like a good project for you. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had mine now for just over three years now. I installed the deck myself, following the sticky here and the Deere instructions. I still have a 100% success rate in connecting/disconnecting the deck (aside from a couple occasions of user error). I have made zero adjustments to the deck since installing it.

My opinion, setup is critical. If done right, it works. If done in a hurry, not so much. If you can, save a couple hundred bucks and install it yourself. You can take your time and be sure that every step is done correctly.

I don't know if it is just me getting old or if things really are changing - but it seems like I encounter more sloppy workmanship these days than in years past. I recently bought my first* "drone", had to take it apart and finish tightening a couple screws on its camera gimbal before it was useable. Ridiculous. It was either fix it myself or warranty it and wait three to five weeks to get it back, possibly receiving a refurbished unit.

* first as in, first commercially available "drone". Been flying RC for decades, and quadcopters that I built myself for several years.
Sloppy workmanship seems to be the norm these days and customer service tends to be lacking. The problem isn't isolated to any one brand or color.
There is the sticky in this forum for how to properly install your mower deck since most aren't installed correctly as delivered.
Blue seems to have a lot of issues. Local farmer purchased a brand new T4.90 cab tractor. First, the steering wheel came off in his hands. Dealer fixed that. Then the battery cables weren't correctly routed and insulated from the factory. The battery cables rubbed through and the tractor caught on fire. Dealer fixed that. Farmer got the tractor back, ended up stuck in the field when the trans got stuck in gear. Couldn't go into neutral or reverse. Dealer fixed that. Farmer ended up holding a conference call from the dealership with New Holland rep. The farmer felt that with the issues that he had, New Holland should buy the tractor back as it was a lemon. Answer from the New Holland rep...........Buy an extended warranty.
A local dairy farmer bought a Kubota MX series. He was using it to spread manure. The draw bar broke. Three times. Kubota actually sent an engineer to the farm to resolve that issue. I will give Kubota credit for that. A few months after the warranty ran out, the engine blew. Farmer felt that since the engine blew so soon, that Kubota should have assisted with the repair. Maybe share the repair cost. Nope. Kubota told him the warranty was up and the farmer should have purchased an extended warranty. So the dairy farmer ended up with a $8k repair bill on a three year old tractor.
Compared to Blue and Orange, the issues with new Green tractors are relatively minor. But there have been issues (utility and Ag tractors).
It would be nice to point to ANY manufacturer as producing problem free, quality products with no workmanship issues. And excellent customer service. It seems that no manufacturer fits that description. But JD is the closest.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Not alot really. The pros outweigh the cons by a LOT.
I have had 2 repairs-backhoe boom hydraulic hose split; air filter strap broke.
But the amount of work that I can get done with the TLB in a shore amount of time is just amazing.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
$800 repair 3 mos. off extended warranty due to factory "kindergarten welding" on mower lift trapeze... All the rest of the stuff in 5 years I'm more or less over.

At least mine (1026TLB) has no cold weather starting issues even w/o any pre-heating. Yea "Interim Tier 4".

When it IS on the machine my 54D is the best deck mower I've ever used (of course, I don't do any side slopes because of lesson learned).

Sure wish I had gas struts on my hood to help hoist that 3 pound massive piece of molded plastic!

I could use a bit longer FEL bucket bottom for a bit more reach with cordwood, but I realize the lift constraints with heavy wet material.

All in all there's no regrets and I'm still happy to be a JD Lab Rat for future owners.:laugh; "Now class, THIS is a welding rod, no Billy you can't, you just came back from there! I'm going to send a note home to your mother:" :laugh:

1 - 20 of 179 Posts