Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big a dump trailer would you dare haul behind a new 2R tractor ? I have a DR Versatrailer for behind by Kubota BX. Might seem too small for behind the new 2038R. Would you dare pull a small 5'x10' Cam Superline trailer. Need electric brakes ?
DSC_0619.jpg

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Depends on what you are putting in it and where you are going. It will likely pull a big trailer like that just fine but is it fully loaded with dirt, leaves or air? Really it comes down to how much of a load you are hauling.

·
Premium Member
10,983 Posts
The empty weight of a 5x10 dump trailer as pictured will probably be close to what the 2038R weighs. So it won't take much of a payload to weigh twice the weight of the tractor. That could get a bit dicey in the stopping department depending on your terrain.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Mass matters

Depends on what you are putting in it and where you are going. It will likely pull a big trailer like that just fine but is it fully loaded with dirt, leaves or air? Really it comes down to how much of a load you are hauling.
I have a 10,000 gvw dump trailer and wouldn't hesitate to pull it behind my 790 empty. If it was full, I'm not sure I would be very comfortable with that. In addition to stopping, tongue weight comes into play.

I like pulling the trailer with a pickup and loading with the loader. If you are pulling with the tractor, that means pulling it to where you load and unhooking. Load the trailer but don't overload the jack. Hook back up again and pull the trailer to the dump site. Repeat as necessary.

If you decide to use your tractor, I would rig up manual electric brakes so you can stop the rig using the trailer brakes.

Let us know how it works for you.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
I use this:

CAM Superline.jpg

It's a 4' x 8' dump bed with a 3.500lb capacity. (Bought it out your way at Pittsfield Power Equipment.)

IMO, dragging a trailer isn't the big problem. Being able to stop it when it's fully loaded is. A 10,000 lb loaded trailer will push a 2,000 lb compact tractor all over the place.

·
Registered
913 Posts
No trailer. I built my dump box on the front. It's 32 cubic feet, and the 1025R handles it just fine filled with limbs, brush, leaves, and such. No much good for moving and dumping dirt, though. But I use it mainly for farm cleanup and transporting stuff about a mile to a community burn site.

box4.JPG

·
Registered
311 Posts
The trailer I use has a 4' wide x 6' long x 2' high box. It's hydraulic dump run off my auxiliary hydraulic connection on the back of my 2320. It will haul 4,000 lbs of sand or gravel. I wouldn't want anything larger for this size tractor. The tractor, loader and trailer weigh right at 4,000 lbs empty.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The trailer I use has a 4' wide x 6' long x 2' high box. It's hydraulic dump run off my auxiliary hydraulic connection on the back of my 2320. It will haul 4,000 lbs of sand or gravel. I wouldn't want anything larger for this size tractor. The tractor, loader and trailer weigh right at 4,000 lbs empty.
Since you're not towing behind a truck on the highway it probably isn't a big deal, but I don't think those tires on that trailer are rated for a 4,000# load. They look like snowmobile trailer tire which usually are rated about 8xx or 9xx# each. But something to be aware of...

Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What would it take to wire up electric brakes to the tractors brake pedal or brake lights ? Or would it be just as good to just mount up the brake controller and use the slide switch ?

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
What would it take to wire up electric brakes to the tractors brake pedal or brake lights ? Or would it be just as good to just mount up the brake controller and use the slide switch ?
From what I can see, Deere doesn't offer a trailer electrical connector for the 2038R so you'd have to find a Proportional Brake controller that has a manual over-ride and use that. Or convert everything over to a surge braking system....

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts