Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 GMC Serria 1500 pickup. It had about 109,000 I bought it in 2010. It currently has about 127,000 miles on it. This is my personal truck, so it does not driven a lot. It is kept in a garage when not being driven. The only things I have done to the truck since I bought it, other than regular service, was new front wheel bearings & rear brakes right after I bought it & new tires a couple of years ago.

About a month ago the anti lock brakes would sometimes activate when I stopped at a stop light. That kept getting worse to the point that it would loose all braking. Monday I took it to a local auto repair shop. They determined that a front wheel bearing was causing the problem. They replaced the bearing & all was fine. I put about 60 miles on the truck this week when I started noticing a grinding noise when slowing down, that got worse when pushing on the brakes. It felt to me like the grinding was in the front of the truck.

I took the truck back to the same repair shop. They found that a rear brake pad had failed & it was metal to metal contact on the rotor.

What are the chances that parts that were installed days apart nine years ago would fail days apart nine years later?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the chances the shop did that to get you to spend more money?
Very low. They would have had to do a lot of work to pull that off. It looks to me like the rivets holding the pad to the plate rusted off.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
I didn't know GM used disc brakes on the rear of pickups that long ago. My 2012 has drum brakes on the rear. Either way, that's good mileage on brakes.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I didn't know GM used disc brakes on the rear of pickups that long ago. My 2012 has drum brakes on the rear. Either way, that's good mileage on brakes.
I bought mine w/99k on it and it currently has 199K on it. I've never replaced the brakes, and I tow quite a bit. :dunno:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Early 2000 GM trucks are known to go through rear brake pads. When I had my 2004 Avalanche, I would do the rears anytime I did the fronts. The pads are a real tight fit in the brackets and do not slide as freely as they should, causing the pads to drag a lot. Even if you put in new slider hardware, you normally need to take a grinder to the ears on the new pads to make sure there is no binding (even with OEM pads). Most shops will not take the time to make the pad fit properly, they will force it in the bracket and it will end up binding and dragging.

·
Registered
322 Posts
About a month ago the anti lock brakes would sometimes activate when I stopped at a stop light.
Is that a typo? I always thought it to be anti-stop brakes??? :flag_of_truce: :lol:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
They put rear disc brakes on their 1/2 ton trucks from 1999-2002 and then went back to drums for a period of time from 2003-? I am not sure what they did on their heavy duties, I think they put disc's on all 4 corners starting in 2000. My 2007 HD3500 dually has discs all the way around. I remember reading when they did that and everyone complained. I think this is when GM started hemorrhaging money so they started de-contenting their vehicles until the succumbed to BK. Drums must be cheaper to buy and install than disc brakes.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
My 2011 1/2 ton has disc brakes on the rear. I'll have to look at my SIL's 2013 next time he's here.
What trim level do you have? Maybe higher trim levels got disc brakes?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah my '06 6.0 1500hd has disk brakes with dual piston calipers at all 4 corners. I was really surprised to see two pot calipers in the rear, but it has the heavy tow package, 4l80e, trans cooler, trans temp gauge, and 9900lb brakes.

I swear it's things in 3's when working on vehicles.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
My 2011 1/2 ton has disc brakes on the rear. I'll have to look at my SIL's 2013 next time he's here.

As best I remember, there was a period of time when GM only provided rear disc brakes on the pickups if you had the high level trims. Never could understand that as most of the competition had rear disc brakes on all trims. I can't speak for Dodge as I am not as familiar with them, but Ford has had rear disc brakes on all trims since 1999 for the Super Duty line and 2004 for the F150 and maybe longer.

Dave

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Early 2000 GM trucks are known to go through rear brake pads. When I had my 2004 Avalanche, I would do the rears anytime I did the fronts. The pads are a real tight fit in the brackets and do not slide as freely as they should, causing the pads to drag a lot. Even if you put in new slider hardware, you normally need to take a grinder to the ears on the new pads to make sure there is no binding (even with OEM pads). Most shops will not take the time to make the pad fit properly, they will force it in the bracket and it will end up binding and dragging.
I had an 03 Avalanche. There were a couple design issues going on with the brakes. I agree that I would go through rear brakes really fast in that truck.

The big issues is that for some reason they had the drum parking brake inside the rotor of the disk brake for normal use. I still don't get why they didn't just make the parking brake part of the disk brake rather than use a mini drum or stick with drum brakes. Not try and do both.

The problem was that with the drum taking up the space it left little room for a disk brake and the braking surface. They also had too much bias dialed into the rear for trailering. The small rear pads and too much bias would cause it to wear faster. The mini drum also eliminated some of the parts to a normal drum brake. For instance normally there are two shoes. The benefit of this is it keeps lings centered. There wasn't enough room so they went with a single shoe shaped like a horseshoe. But there wasn't a good way to center it in the drum so it would shift, start dragging. If you didn't replace it soon enough it could wear in the drum part of the rotor and then good luck getting the rotor/drum off. Oh and even if you had that parking brake dialed in, it was worthless. Notice I never called it an emergency brake. It would never hold my truck if you were stopped and put it in drive like it should. I eventually gutted the parking brake on my truck as it was more trouble than it is was worth.

I agree, I would have to tune the pads as well with the bench grinder when replacing them. Again I think a lot of this was due to tight tolerances because they were cramming too much stuff in an area too tight.

·
Super Moderator
5,463 Posts
My brothers 2012 GMC Sierra is drum rear!:banghead: I am so glad when I bought my '14 Silverado, GM came to their senses and went back to disc!:good2:

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
OR it could be the fact I have the 6.2 V8 and IIRC that came with a slightly larger rear axle, same one used in 1/2 ton max tow package.:hi:

They were limiting that engine use in trucks, and to get it you had to go higher trim level, mine is an LTZ. Most were going into Escalades and Yukon Denalis.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts