Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to purchase a 1025R (hopefully this Saturday if all goes well) with FEL and MMM.

I also want to pick up a 48" box blade. Is there an advantage to the JD/Frontier box blade or should I be looking at brands like County Line from Tractor Supply or Land Shark?

With $0 down and 0% interest, I wouldn't mind adding it to the total, but not if other brands are just as good and significantly cheaper.

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
536 Posts
I stuck with JD and Frontier and all bought from my JD dealer so that I only have one person to complain to (other than myself for doing something dumb but that rarely occurs) . :lol:

The 0% more than offset the lower costs (and often lower quality) of some of the other manufacturers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stuck with JD and Frontier and all bought from my JD dealer so that I only have one person to complain to (other than myself for doing something dumb but that rarely occurs) . :lol:

The 0% more than offset the lower costs (and often lower quality) of some of the other manufacturers.
Thanks!

:laugh: I am generally good for something dumb several times a year ha ha.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I like the green to match so when I purchased my 2025 I got what I could with the 0 down. I know once you finance through Jd you have to get insurance for the life of the loan. Anything you buy within that purchase gets put on the insurance so that’s a plus

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks!

:laugh: I am generally good for something dumb several times a year ha ha.
Yeah, my pet peeve is getting the runaround for third party stuff that was bought too far from home.

Good luck with your choices !

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
I have all John Deere and Frontier attachments and implements EXCEPT the frame for my Carry all, which was made by "Land Pride" (I think....). It was their gold / brownish color and the very first thing my wife said was "You are painting that JD Green, I hope?" .....Yes dear.....

I like having one place for all the parts and service issues I can't handle myself. Everything fits and works perfectly and everything matches......

Yes, you can get some implements for less at a Big Box Farm Store or some other sources including other dealers and Yes, they can be less money.

Just so you know, Land Pride is a Kubota company which simply makes them even more stable and provides a broader market. Land Pride is a good company out of Kansas who makes implements for a range of dealers and they are also sold by many of the box stores. If you have a Land Pride Implement you could contact the headquarters for parts, etc.

My main advice for you is to NOT buy implements which are too large for your new machine. Size the competitive implements to match what Deere Frontier suggests for your new tractor. For example, if Deere says the 1 series should use a 48" wide rear brush style 3 point mower, then that's the size to buy.

Make sure you buy the IMatch or "Quick Hitch" for the 3 point and the bushings. They make attaching and dropping implements a piece of cake.......and I don't know anyone who has used them who wouldn't recommend them.

If you are going to be financing your purchase, Deere makes it super easy and everything is on one loan. If you are going to be paying cash, then you don't have to bother with trying to package things.

Also, keep in mind how you will get implements from sources other than Deere home to your house. Deere will deliver everything. Its up to you to get the implements home from many of the alternatives......if you don't have a truck and trailer, that can be a problem or negate the lower cost of those who don't or can't deliver.

One last suggestion, the handiest implement I own are the pallet forks. You use them in ways you can't imagine and they are super handy for picking up and moving other implements. I strongly suggest you own a set of forks....

Just remember, often you get what you pay for. Read the threads and see the experiences of others. There are many decent implement companies, a few really good implement companies and a couple who's entire marketing strategy is to undercut and undersell everyone else. If you are going to be the cheapest product out there, you have to make compromises. Just make sure these compromises and their operational methods, tactics and business standards and ethics aren't the opposite of what you feel and find important.

I am not seeking to start an argument or disparage anyone else's choice of implements. I will just say that when I make purchases, price is not always the driving concern and quality and integrity mean much more to me. Everyone deserves to be paid for their hard work, ingenuity and creativity. When one company has a pattern of using the images, engineering, and work product of others without permission nor fairly compensating those who actually own and developed the ideas, concepts, markets, etc. that's not a company I will do business with. Enough said.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Two things to remember,
1.Parts,if you can't get them 2,5,10 years down the road the money you saved up front is useless if you have to get new because part are no longer available.
2.You have a Cat 1 Limited 3pt hitch.Not all cat 1 will fit your tractor,normal cat 1 is 16" from floor to pins cat 1 limited is 12". Lift height on the 3pt arms is going to be 22-24" so 6-8" off the ground from 16 so that's not much especially on uneven ground.

·
Registered
117 Posts
John Deere and Woods. My JD dealer sells and services both.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
264 Posts
As far as the insurance for your loan, dont let your salesmn talk you in to their insurance. You dont need it. If you have homeowners insurance you are already covered of course. Just add JD as an "additional insured". Im sure they get some kind of a kickback by convincing you to pay for the JD insurance but we arent thqt naive!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SulleyBear - thank you very much for taking the time to help me out - very informative and much appreciated!

TJR345 - excellent points and good reasons to buy from the dealer.

Hiwire - thanks for the tip - I was wondering about that. :question:

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as the insurance for your loan, dont let your salesmn talk you in to their insurance. You dont need it. If you have homeowners insurance you are already covered of course. Just add JD as an "additional insured". Im sure they get some kind of a kickback by convincing you to pay for the JD insurance but we arent thqt naive!
Really? The John Deere insurance is cheap and I'm sure it will cover more than homeowners will. In fact, it was cheaper than adding it to my policy. Also, what happens if something happens to your tractor off of your property?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
I went with the frontier brand because the dealer said that they would work with the IMatch and if I had a problem I would have to deal with just one company/person.

Doug

·
Registered
75 Posts
To buy JD or others

It doesn't take much resourcing to figure out what attachments or brands to buy. All you need to do is come right here
and ask. Look up the venders forum and read. There's been a few names dropped and I think most of them are good but we can't forget the Heavy Hitch brand and their customer service is outstanding.
I bough my fork pallet from HLA which John Deere sells mostly because it was on their lot and they were delivering the tractor so I had them put it on the trailer and bring it right to my house. No shipping cost and I got it the same day. :bigthumb:

Reactions: PJR832 and Levi

·
Registered
30 Posts
So far I have bought a 6' York rake from Tractor Supply, it was on sale for around $450 if I remember right. Since then, after doing a lot of research, I've been buying my Attachments from Everything Attachments. I bought a 6' brush hog, and a 55" Wicked Grapple along with the third function diverter valve. Can't say enough about how they build their attachments, customer service is second to none, and the attachments work great. They have videos on how each attachment works and when I call on the phone, I ask for the guy in the video and he gets right on the phone. Their attachments are priced fairly, made in North Carolina, and they stand behind what they build.
Mike Hawkins

Attachments

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I did a fair amount of research on box blades and had come to the conclusion the Everything Attachments (EA) had the best value on the market, in my opinion. Watch their videos--you'll learn a lot. I was wrestling between a 48 and a 54". From the posts I read here, I was pretty comfortable that a 1025R could handle the 54" and the 54" width meant it would cover the width of the rear tires.

The problem with a box blade is it takes some practice to become proficient with it...and remain proficient. I just had a few hundred feet of a single lane gravel driveway. So I didn't think I would ever get there with it and was concerned I'd make a mess out of it learning. So I worked myself up to a land plane, which doesn't take much of a "learning curve". The land plane was more money, but I figured that would be offset in the learning curve and not making a mess of the driveway.

Before I ordered one, we sold that home. So I never did purchase either. So my comments are without any experience to back them up.

Reactions: keane and Levi

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a smorgasbord of attachments, I have a few Land Pride pieces, a couple Frontier pieces and a chinese Victory flail mower. I bought the flail new and the Frontier spreader and front blade new. Rest of my implements I bartered with boot on. I had a utility trailer that I partially traded fro my tiller and I traded my mmm for a pull behind finish mower. I have the Land Pride QH05 quick hitch that I like because you don’t have to use those adapters with it. Its made to fit the implement without them. Trade off though is that the top hook is fixed with no adjustments. I do have a QH adapter that I use on the stuff that wont mate right up to the fixed top hook and it works fine. If you are buying new and have the financial means its a great idea to do what others have said and finance it at 0% with tractor purchase. Most of my stuff Ive bought on a as needed basis. Ohh and by the way, Land Pride Orange doesn’t look bad behind a green and yellow tractor. If I can have more green in my pocket Id rather have it there than pay more for a green attachment.

‘17 1025r w/FEL
(2) 80 JD carts
18 JD cart
Land Pride 4’ land plane
Land Pride 1258 tiller
Land Pride FDR 1660
Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
Victory EF155 flail mower

·
Registered
343 Posts
I bought the Frontier pallet forks and JD tiller with my tractor from the dealer. I have implements from a variety manufacturers but have only purchased new from EA. Great customer service, fair pricing and wide selection make them very competitive. The rest of my implements came from Craigslist or auctions. Auctions seem to be a place where you can get some really great deals. I don’t have a QH so not concerned about compatibility with that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The Frontier attachments for JD equipment are made by Woods. I have a Woods labeled box blade that is identical to the Frontier version that JD sells. My dealer even got the Woods blade painted JD green direct from Woods.

The dealer sells the Woods blade for about 2-300 less than they would have to charge for the one with Frontier stickers on it.

Woods makes a very solid and nicely built attachment, they aren't cheap though. My 48" box blade ended up costing 900. It seems high but I couldn't find one that was much cheaper (and the same quality) after I added shipping into the total cost.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Really? The John Deere insurance is cheap and I'm sure it will cover more than homeowners will. In fact, it was cheaper than adding it to my policy. Also, what happens if something happens to your tractor off of your property?
Over the years, there has been a lot of miscommunication about what the homeowners policies actually will cover and where their coverage is lacking. There is equally as much miscommunication about exactly what the John Deere insurance covers and how it works.

Many home owners policies only insure for damage while ON the home property. So be very careful assuming the coverage is in effect off the homestead as in many cases, it is not. Also, homeowners policies don't cover for all types of loss and damage. Specifically, most homeowners policies will NOT cover a machine which is being trailered or "in transport" on roadways being hauled with another vehicle. Frankly, a homeowners policy only covers a tractor which is always on your property and even then, it doesn't cover for ALL types of losses.

In order to fully cover a tractor and implements, you need to have what is called an "Inland Marine Policy*" written on them, which is designed to cover the item for a range of losses in a range of situations. As your agent about this if you are not familiar. This is what is used for specific coverage on jewelry, firearms, tools, sporting equipment, etc. Don't let the name "Inland Marine Policy" confuse you, it's just how the coverage started many years ago. Click on the name above and the link will explain the coverage and how it works.

The other issue with adding it to your homeowners policy is that the limits on your homeowners for personal property and contents is usually a formula based upon the value of the home itself. Same with the coverage for out buildings. A tractor and implements can consume a lot of the contents coverage should something happen and a loss occurs.

I have all of my possessions insured with State Farm and have had since the early 1980's. I talked with my agent who I have worked with for about 25 years and explained to him that my tractor is frequently off my property and on our private HOA roads and the common property as well as the property of others and along and on the right of way of public roads. Accordingly, I ended up with a separate policy which covers my tractor and implements for any type of loss from theft, vandalism, fire, collision with a motor vehicle, etc.

It's important to double check and discuss how and where you use your tractor to make sure it's properly covered against the risks and all types of risks. My policy insures the equipment for it's replacement cost of about $40k and the policy is only $200 year or $17 per month and covers all the various risks.

Homeowners insurance will cover against fire and theft but not necessarily a collision with another vehicle. One of our GTT members was struck by a car while on his tractor at the end of his driveway clearing snow. The tractor was destroyed and he was very seriously injured, requiring extensive hospitalization and surgeries and rehabilitation. In his case, his loss was covered by a combination of the auto insurance of the vehicle which struck him and his personal medical coverage, through his or his spouses employment if I recall correctly and his homeowners policy. But I also seem to recall his tractors precise position when struck, as to whether he was on his property or in the road right of way, was important in the claim process.

As far as the John Deere coverage, I would opt out of it as long as I was certain I had coverage for the types of losses my equipment was going to be exposed to and I would make NO ASSUMPTIONS, I would verify everything in writing for your records. When I purchased everything, I chose to not use Deere's financing and wrote a check for everything, so in my case, their insurance was never an option.

You should note the John Deere coverage is only for the amount of the outstanding loan, it doesn't cover you against the total loss of the equipment. The John Deere coverage simply makes sure John Deere gets their outstanding loan balance you might owe if the equipment is damaged in a coverage loss. So if in year 4 of your loan your tractor is stolen, Deere gets the money owed them on the loan. Basically, it's designed to make sure you aren't paying Deere for something you no longer have, if the loss of your equipment is covered under the terms of their policy. It doesn't replace your tractor.

Also, when your loan ends with Deere, the insurance coverage ends also, which is important to be aware of........This is very different than having the tractor and implements covered under their own policy for any type of loss in any possible location.....

Never ASSume about these coverages as it can leave you in a situation where you don't want to find yourself.........always verify in writing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts