Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This old crane is sitting on the back property of a scrap metal business. When I snapped a few pics of it, I was able to read the brand name, but now have forgotten what that name is. The pictures are not very good. I couldn't get any closer.

Can any of y'all make out the brand name? Have tried looking it up, but haven't come up with much.

If you think I could just call the business and ask them, well, that isn't an option. The owner is hard of hearing and have tried calling before for other reasons and can't get him to pick up. I'm not the only one who has tried calling and can't reach him by phone.:laugh:

There's another crane that appears to be almost identical, but it's kept in a shed and is too far away to photograph without zoom lenses.

Does this type and color of crane look familiar to anyone?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
My grandpa used to run a crew that laid water and sewer pipe and they always had Bantam's. It was pretty obvious to me when I saw the picture.

If you look closely it even says Bantam on the back.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. On my phone, the pics are a little blurry and I couldn't make out the n or the m clearly.

I wonder if that crane would be worth trying to rescue?

Now, if you are thinking I'm asking because I would attempt it, think again.:laugh: I don't need it for one, and two, I already have enough machines to sink money into.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have another question.

Might should've started another thread to ask this question, but since we're discussing construction machinery, I need your help.

There used to be an extremely large hydraulic front shovel type excavator in my area. It was red and white in color and definitely had the brand name, Link-Belt, on it. I remember it sitting in the same location ever since I was a little squirt. Then, about 7 or 8 years ago, the land where it was sitting at sold and somehow, someone moved it a short distance to the adjacent property. Then a year or so after that, the machine disappeared.

I have tried contacting numerous people to see if they remember it or know what happened to the huge machine. Only one person I have talked to about it remembers it too. Other people act like it never existed just because they don't remember it.

Question: Does anyone have pictures of a large Link-Belt excavator with a hydraulic front shovel boom/arm? I have contacted Link Belt, but they are of no help. Have even contacted the property owner where the machine used to sit and they won't return calls or emails.

From what I was told, that huge machine was meant for a mining operation in Mexico and there was some sort of dispute with the mining outfit over the purchase before it arrived and the driver of the truck abandoned it beside the service road. It sat in the same location for 25+ years.

The only pics I have found online of Link-Belt front shovels are those with cable operated buckets. The one I saw had a hydraulic operated boom and bucket or shovel. Not really sure how many yards of material the bucket/shovel held. That machine was much larger than most excavators and won't clear underneath a lot of the overpasses and bridges in the area. It had to be hauled on the service roads and back roads.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Red 'n Green, I put "Link Belt Shovel" into my search engine on the "Images" tab:

link belt shovel - Dogpile Images Search

There are many pages of pix there, you might find THE one...

OR NOT... Live link doesn't work so try this. Just put "Link Belt Shovel" into your browser's search engine, click on the "Images" tab and hit "Enter".

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Harold. So far this one on page 13 looks the closest. It's a biggun.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You're saying someone abandoned that monster along a road and it laid there for 25 years????
That was one expensive lawn ornament.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My mind is crammed full of sightings of this and that.

You're saying someone abandoned that monster along a road and it laid there for 25 years????
That was one expensive lawn ornament.
Yip. I always remembered going fishing with my brother when I was little and we'd pass right by it.
Was always curious way back then why it was sitting where it was. The guy who told me about it after it disappeared, happened to be the very guy I hired to haul some big tractors. He used to be some sort of foreman for large highway construction jobs and that's one reason he found out about it. He didn't know what year it was unloaded at that location, but it was refreshing to finally talk to someone who knew exactly what I was talking about. According to his sources, the buyer in Mexico canceled the order after the machine was already in route. It was said that driver wasn't going to get paid since his pay was only upon delivery. Don't recall where it came from, but the driver had encountered so much trouble and invested a lot of time and fuel in getting the beast that far. So as soon as he was told about the cancelation, he just unloaded it on a vacant piece of land.

You find the coolest stuff...:good2::laugh:
Thanks. You aught to see some of the machinery I've stumbled upon when going down back roads. Some people say their minds are full of clutter. Well, mine is full of tractors and all sorts of other contraptions.:lol: I'm thankful for this place and you guys, because no one else in my family shares or fully understands my love of machinery.:thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
8,049 Posts
When I was a kid growing up in Fall River, MA I lived around the corner from an old established construction company that was engaged in building the Rt 195 corridor between Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA. It was a ~40 mile project that required lots of blasting and granite ledge excavation. Most of the work was done using ~50 year old equipment that had been meticulously maintained over the years. I remember the chain-drive Mack trucks, Bucyrus Erie Steam shovels and drag-lines, Buffalo Springfield Steam rollers and old Cat bulldozers that were still in use in 1959-1960. The equipment was massive, simple and very reliable but required a lot of TLC before, during and after each shift. I used to visit the repair shop to look over the equipment, bother the mechanics and pick their brains about the workings of the old equipment. Good memories!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will let y'all know if I ever learn what happened to the beast. Since it had become an object of interest for me for so long, I was concerned that it may have ended up being melted down.

Would like to know if someone got it running in order to move it to the adjacent property and when it was later hauled off. The batteries alone must've cost a bundle. I'm fairly certain that kids damaged the gauges over the years and probably other things as well.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I would love to know what happened to it. Do keep us posted!!

I grew up in the PA coal regions, so I got to see lots of huge Bucyrus/Erie dragline shovels. The funny thing was, my grandfather worked in the mines, and was born around 1904. Even though the draglines were powered by huge electrical cables by the time I was born, I still always called them "steam shovels" because that is what my grandfather called them. He was a cool dude.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts