Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're having a fall party this weekend and the wife wants to do hay rides with the kids. I have a 6x12 single axle utility trailer. Do you see any issues pulling that around with a bunch of kids on it?

·
Registered
446 Posts
We're having a fall party this weekend and the wife wants to do hay rides with the kids. I have a 6x12 single axle utility trailer. Do you see any issues pulling that around with a bunch of kids on it?
What is the terrain? Pulling will be fine, it's the stopping that might be an issue on hills. I would say as long as nothing too steep your ok.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
You will be fine pulling it. I would use four wheel to help with traction. Make sure passengers have a safe place to set and don't get too crazy. Do you have a hitch receiver for your 3 point hitch? I would keep the hitch low to avoid someone falling off the back. And I would get the rides done before it's too dark. Have fun. Be safe

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
If you are going to tow with the 3PH instead of the drawbar just remember that the 3PH does not have any down force. Meaning, if the trailer gets heavy in the rear it can lift up on the tongue and tilt up. Granted this is somewhat unlikely with a 6x12 single axle trailer it's still something to keep in mind when hauling human cargo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a 3 point receiver hitch. There are some small gradual hills on our property... mostly level ground though. I'll give it a try and see how it work!

Good call on lifting up the hitch if everyone stands on the far back!

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Most 1025R don't have drawbar. I would keep the hitch LOW to keep front of trailer low. Keep weight more towards the center over the axel. Maybe have some ballast on front of trailer because the 3ph won't have any downforce if the weight is behind axel.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Be really safe

You will be fine pulling it. I would use four wheel to help with traction. Make sure passengers have a safe place to set and don't get too crazy. Do you have a hitch receiver for your 3 point hitch? I would keep the hitch low to avoid someone falling off the back. And I would get the rides done before it's too dark. Have fun. Be safe
The be safe part is the most important. I would try to put some good railing around the trailer. If that isn't feasible, then make sure everyone is seated in the middle of the trailer, not on the edge. Do several dry runs on your path to find any dips, holes or other places that could potentially toss someone off the trailer. It wouldn't hurt to call your insurance agent and make sure you have coverage for it either. You really don't want to find out you don't have liability insurance when a kid is in the hospital.

I know all of that sounds like a party pooper but that stuff happens every year. People get hurt and sometimes killed because there wasn't adequate prep. It's better to take care of the contingencies before the event and keep everyone safe.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I have the Transformer Hitch from Omni and it has a weight bracket on it. When I pull my 6x12 Alumina Trailer I hang a few weights on it to help keep the hitch and the rear tires planted. Works great! I've pulled lots of stuff on my trailer just not kids. I'd throw a large rug on the trailer and make sure everyone sits down. Then you don't have to worry about the weight shifting as much. Have fun!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I do have a 3 point receiver hitch. There are some small gradual hills on our property... mostly level ground though. I'll give it a try and see how it work!

Good call on lifting up the hitch if everyone stands on the far back!
I have a trailer that size and pull it all the time, no problem. The lifting part happens even with nothing on the trailer if going down hill and the hill makes the weight transfer to the rear. Just to be safe, if you have something heavy for the kids to sit on I'd put it on the front of the trailer.

·
Premium Member
14,885 Posts
I had a 5x14 trailer used it several times to do a hayride. Use 4wd especially going down hills, make sure everyone stays seated and you should be fine.

:munch:

Reactions: Levi and Marlin

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I used my 6 x 10 tilt trailer last year for an afternoon hay ride when the family came out. I thought it was going to be for the kids, but the adults wanted to go too.

I had my trailer hitched to the Heavy Hitch on the 3 pt., but also kept the majority of the weight at the front of the trailer.

We were on all flat ground in farmland country.

If on any downhill slopes, put in 4 WD and slow. You should have no problem.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Most 1025R don't have drawbar. I would keep the hitch LOW to keep front of trailer low. Keep weight more towards the center over the axel. Maybe have some ballast on front of trailer because the 3ph won't have any downforce if the weight is behind axel.
The 1 series doesn't have a traditional drawbar like larger tractors, but you should have a plate attached to the rear of the tractor beneath the PTO with a hole in it. That's the drawbar.

If you can, hitch the trailer directly to that. If you use a three point receiver you can lower the three point and secure it in a lowered position by running a short chain from the hitch to the drawbar. That will prevent the trailer from lifting the three point.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Another option for you that I did, I removed the JD drawbar plate just below the rear PTO and installed a 2" receiver hitch plate. Not only can I use this for my trailer, but I use this set up for some other attachments I have bought, such as a carryall and sprayer, and my spreader.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
any problems? heck no..I pulled a loaded trailer with mine that probably weighed 5k pounds

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Glad to hear you have a fun and safe night. thanks for fillin us in :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another option for you that I did, I removed the JD drawbar plate just below the rear PTO and installed a 2" receiver hitch plate. Not only can I use this for my trailer, but I use this set up for some other attachments I have bought, such as a carryall and sprayer, and my spreader.

Where did you get the receiver plate? Did you have to modify it at all to lineup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I bought it at Harbor Freight and had to cut the width down and drill a couple holes to fit.

Reactions: ensign

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I see those receiver plates on EBay. Just look under 1025R

1 - 20 of 31 Posts