1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does it work?

Does it work?

What are the pros and cons of it?

Can it be retrofitted, in my case on a H180 FEL (since the H180 is available both ways)?

Would you buy it? I ordered mine without, but I use pallet forks alot, so maybe I should quickly change the order....

Thanks!

-steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
About 25 years ago, I was on a farm that had a 4240 with one of those self-leveling bucket configurations. Most I can say is that it worked and was nice when handling most any material. I would think it would be great for pallet forks. The way I look at it it's cost vs convenience. :greentractorride:

·
Administrator
18,013 Posts
Here are the two drawings from JDparts, I assume it can be retrofitted but I can't find the bundle number that would get you all the parts in one package.

NSL:
nsl.jpg

Boom And Leveling Link, H180 NSL
CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTYSERIAL NO.REMARKS
1AW36323Loader Boom1
2AW36399Brace1
3W50028Link1(A) LHS
4W50025Link2(B)
5W50026Link2(A)
6W50027Link2(A) RHS
7W52211Link2
(A) Outer

(B) Inner

MSL:
MSL.jpg

Boom And Leveling Link, H180 MSL

CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTYSERIAL NO.REMARKS
1AW35944Tube1
2AW36399Brace1
3W52211Link2
4W50027Link1
5W50028Link1
6W50026Link2
7W50025Link2
8AW36322Loader Boom1

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I bought a H120 with my 1025R with a 53" bucket and I use the pallet forks more than the bucket. I would not buy a tractor without a loader. If your tractor is on order the dealer can add one to it and roll it into the financing. Most FEL are installed at the dealer. They ship separately on a pallet. If you drive around the dealership they probably have several in the back lot. Good luck:good2::good2:

·
Registered
22,773 Posts
How does it work?

Does it work?

What are the pros and cons of it?

Can it be retrofitted, in my case on a H180 FEL (since the H180 is available both ways)?

Would you buy it? I ordered mine without, but I use pallet forks alot, so maybe I should quickly change the order....

Thanks!

-steve
I am spoiled - I ran large loaders most of my life which of course all had self-leveling buckets. When I bought my 2520 and loader it took me forever to get used to it without - I still kind of struggle with it.

If I had the option for my loader I would have it even if the cost were high.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
I bought a H120 with my 1025R with a 53" bucket and I use the pallet forks more than the bucket. I would not buy a tractor without a loader. If your tractor is on order the dealer can add one to it and roll it into the financing. Most FEL are installed at the dealer. They ship separately on a pallet. If you drive around the dealership they probably have several in the back lot. Good luck:good2::good2:
The OP is getting the H180 loader. He was asking about the self-leveling option which is available on some of the larger loaders.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well....I ended up changing my order to include the H180 with Self-Leveler.

However it was a 'ordeal' according to my great local JD dealer.

Even though you can order the 4Series with the H180-MSL (Mechanical Self Loader) FEL, it cannot be built that way at the factory. The factory will only install the regular H180 FEL!?!?!? What?

So, if you want the self-leveler, you order the basic tractor with no FEL, then order the H180-MSL separately and the dealer puts them together at the dealership. Sounds odd and would not have believed it if I had not heard it from the JD rep directly. The plus side is that doing it this way for me, is that the tractor and loader will be here 3 weeks earlier than having the factory build it with the H180. Not sure why. But oh well. I think it will well be worth the extra $600.

·
Administrator
18,013 Posts
Well....I ended up changing my order to include the H180 with Self-Leveler.

However it was a 'ordeal' according to my great local JD dealer.

Even though you can order the 4Series with the H180-MSL (Mechanical Self Loader) FEL, it cannot be built that way at the factory. The factory will only install the regular H180 FEL!?!?!? What?

So, if you want the self-leveler, you order the basic tractor with no FEL, then order the H180-MSL separately and the dealer puts them together at the dealership. Sounds odd and would not have believed it if I had not heard it from the JD rep directly. The plus side is that doing it this way for me, is that the tractor and loader will be here 3 weeks earlier than having the factory build it with the H180. Not sure why. But oh well. I think it will well be worth the extra $600.
Very good Steve, thanks for the update. If you could find out and share the "bundle" number (and maybe post the instructions) for this it would be very helpful to others in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I had a 400CX loader with self leveling bucket.

It is great if you use pallet forks a lot, although the forks do not stay level through the full motion of the loader.

The only con I saw with it is the the bucket does not roll back as far as it does on the regular loader. If you are moving a gravel type material, the bucket on self leveling loader will not hold as much material as the same size bucket on a regular loader.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
Are the lift specs the same for the MSL loader? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the MSL loader couldn't lift quite as high as the non-MSL. Such a limitation could also apply to only a specific brand/model of loader.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Are the lift specs the same for the MSL loader? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the MSL loader couldn't lift quite as high as the non-MSL. Such a limitation could also apply to only a specific brand/model of loader.
On mine which is MSL, if I recall correctly it has a larger lift capacity and wider range of bucket movement than the non self leveling type. I'm sure it varies by model.

To the OP, I think you made a great choice. $600 well spent. :good2:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very good Steve, thanks for the update. If you could find out and share the "bundle" number (and maybe post the instructions) for this it would be very helpful to others in the future.
Not sure if I have the 'bundle' info, but according to my order sheet, the H180 MSL Loader is comprised of the following parts:

Code Description
1421P H180 Loader
1401 Mounting Frame
2402 H180 Mechanical Self-Leveling Loader
4401 Hoses to tractor Mid-Valve
5370 Hood Guard
7400 JD Compact Utility Tractor carrier
8130 73" Materials Bucket.

The H180 MSL was $600 more than the standard H180, plus a few hours labor for the assembly onto the tractor. I believe the H180 MSL comes completely assembled and it not a kit that you put on the regular H180 loader....but I might be wrong. I will know when it shows up.

On my neighbors 4120 we used the pallet forks all the time and his did not have the MSL on his 400 FEL and it was a pain, especially if you are concentrating on moving the load thru tight areas and forgetting to level out the forks when you are raising and lowering.

-steve

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
My understanding is that the loaders are only dealer installed. On my H180 the lifting specs are lower on the MSL. I have ran out of lifting power more than once with my non self leveling H180 but it is a real pain when using forks. In spite of the lower lift capabilites I would trade for MSL if i had the opportunity.

Dave
Sent from my Samsung Note

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Not sure if I have the 'bundle' info, but according to my order sheet, the H180 MSL Loader is comprised of the following parts:

Code Description
1421P H180 Loader
1401 Mounting Frame
2402 H180 Mechanical Self-Leveling Loader
4401 Hoses to tractor Mid-Valve
5370 Hood Guard
7400 JD Compact Utility Tractor carrier
8130 73" Materials Bucket.

The H180 MSL was $600 more than the standard H180, plus a few hours labor for the assembly onto the tractor. I believe the H180 MSL comes completely assembled and it not a kit that you put on the regular H180 loader....but I might be wrong. I will know when it shows up.

On my neighbors 4120 we used the pallet forks all the time and his did not have the MSL on his 400 FEL and it was a pain, especially if you are concentrating on moving the load thru tight areas and forgetting to level out the forks when you are raising and lowering.

-steve

MLS is not a kit that can be added to a regular H180 loader. The MSL loader uses a different boom.

I do miss the MSL loader every time I use the pallet forks. I learned, even before I got the MSL loader, to strap anything that was breakable to the pallet fork frame.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My understanding is that the loaders are only dealer installed. On my H180 the lifting specs are lower on the MSL. I have ran out of lifting power more than once with my non self leveling H180 but it is a real pain when using forks. In spite of the lower lift capabilites I would trade for MSL if i had the opportunity.

Dave
Sent from my Samsung Note
Here are the specs I found from the JD 'Compact Utility Tractor Implements and Attachments' catalog:

................................................... D170 ........... H180 ...... H180MSL

Lift at Pivot(max height)................... 2391lbs ...... 2539lbs .... 2213lbs
Lift at 500mm ahead of pivot............. 1760 .......... 1885 ....... 2222

Lift capacity to 59"(pivot)................. 2875 .......... 3023 ....... 2779
Lift capacity to 59" at 500mm ahead... 2295 .......... 2413 ....... 2642

Max lift at Pivot Pin........................... 112" ......... 110" ........ 110"
Reach at max height........................... 28" ........... 30" ........ 30"

Breakout force at Pivot Pin............... 3853lbs ...... 4017lbs .... 3853lbs
Breakout force at 500mm.................. 2902 .......... 3029 ....... 3337

Their must be some mechanical advantage of the H180MSL to have the lift at pivot being less (to be expected as the MSL weighs more) but has a higher capacity measured 500mm forward. According the JD manual, the 'lift at pivot' is a gross measure of the lift capacity, but the lift at 500mm is often the better measure of actual working lift capacity.

Thats all I know about the loaders on the 4 series...

-steve

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi All
As I have said in previous posts here in Australia all FEL's must be self leveling. John Deere sell the H120 with a Hydraulic self leveling attachment, which is complicated. I bought my 1025R with an after market Australian made (Burder) FEL including there 4 in 1 bucket. Because the bucket does not require a spill guard it is lighter than a non self leveling bucket (or should be), negating some of the weight of the self leveling gear. I find the self leveling loader very good especially in conjunction with a 4 in 1 bucket.
Regards John
PS sorry about the dirt but it does get used:lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you able to turn off the self leveling feature when doing dirt work? Are you able to adjust the setting of "level" and if so how? I am about ready to order my tractor and am torn on getting MSL or not. 2 different dealers don't think that it is possible that the MSL has more lift capability vs the NSL even though the specs say so. My local dealer does not have a tractor with MSL available for me to try out.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Self level is a bit of a misnomer. The bucket does not stay level with the ground, but maintains the angle you set it to throughout the boom travel. If you tip it back 10* at ground level, it will still be tiled back approximately 10* at max lift. If you tip it forward, then it will stay tipped forward. If you set the bucket level, it will stay pretty close to level. You can't disable a mechanical self leveling system but once you get used to it I can't imagine why anyone would want to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts