Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1025r, and I have noticed I don’t have a lot of larger sized wrenches etc.
What are the common sized wrenches that I would need to work on a 1025r, considering the hitch, FEL etc…

dennis

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Sure you could buy this one or that one.

If you have none....I suggest a trip to Harbor Freight.

Buy a full set of Metric and another of American/sae.

Probly could get it all for 40 $ if you catch a sale.

Are they the best..No
will they work ..yes
If you want Snap-On's or similar....Likely looking well over a grand

I've got many many cheap sets
Keep one down at barn
one in Mini EX
one on tractor
one in every truck x 4

Even if they rust up from never useing them...cheap ins.

If Sears was still an option I'd say get a set of Craftsman Wrench's
Don't do it ...The new ones SUCK

Shop Garage sales for old used American tools if you want to build your War Chest on the cheap

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
For the three point adjustments it’s hard to beat a regular old adjustable (Crescent) wrench. Be sure to get the metric version! 🤣
For other tractor related maintenance and upkeep a set of deep well metric Pittsburgh Pro impact sockets in 1/2” drive and a regular 6 point 1/4” and 3/8” drive sockets should take care of almost everything. If you don’t like HF look at Amazon for Sunex impact sockets. Gearwrench and Tekton makes decent stuff at ok price too. Pretty much any brand will work for occasional use. Don’t forget a torque wrench.
Like @theduke says, cheap insurance if you need them. In my barn I have some HF wrenches, some Menards branded Performax stuff and some Stanley socket sets from Walmart post Black Friday clearance sales. Anyone breaks in there to steal tools they’ll be disappointed but they work just fine 95% of the time. I have better/nicer tools in the house garage if I need them which is rarely.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Wheel lugs M19
Loader masts M24
3Pt adjusters M27
I’d get a set of metric wrenches in that range. Most are going to be in the 10-14 range. Crescent wrench can handle most big stuff.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You can never have too many wrenches, get both metric and SAE and multiple drive sizes from 1/4 to 1". You will use them on more than just your tractor. I pick them up at auctions when I was younger. Lately my son gave me several sets of good quality wrenches as he was down sizing and cleaning out his garage for storage.

·
Registered
391 Posts
One that you will probably find you need that is not in any Harbor Freight set (that I could find, anyway) is an 18mm. These seem to be pretty exclusive to Deere for some reason. 22 & 24 mm come in handy sometimes as well.

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
One that you will probably find you need that is not in any Harbor Freight set (that I could find, anyway) is an 18mm. These seem to be pretty exclusive to Deere for some reason. 22 & 24 mm come in handy sometimes as well.
True. Best to get the HF set and then just add your own 18mm wrench. The nice thing about those huge HF wrenches is you'll probably won't have the strength to break them. :)

I thought I had everything covered up to about 36mm and then just the other day encounter a 1-7/8 trailer ball with a 27mm nut. Surprisingly, I didn't have a 27mm combination wrench.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Funny you mention this.

In the 80's.......Craftsman wrench sets came with NO 18mm and sometimes 16mm was skipped.

LaterY2K+......you get the useless 18 and the 16 which in my experience only fits SubarOO seat belt bolts......
BUT NO 19..the most popular larger metric size......Its dumb

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information, I have multiple sets of tools, crescent wrenches, sockets etc. Like you guys say from all different companies and stores over the years. It seems I don’t have the larger sizes like the 17, 18, 20-24 etc, inch and a half those sort of things. I guess I should’ve been more specific on the larger sizes. However the idea of a good crescent wrench would fill in that gap for the larger sizes. Oh, I’ll be sure to pick up a metric one :)

d

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,030 Posts

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
Claven, one thing to consider is when you get into the larger socket sizes, like those KBar listed, often a 3/4" drive socket set in either SAE or the Metric version is handy to have because of the force it takes to loosen and tighten these large fasteners. These sets are often a real reasonable way to acquire the sizes needed in a set.

You can get a 3/4" to 1/2" and vice versa adapters so you can use the torque wrench with the larger sized sockets to torque to spec. But the longer ratchets and breaker bars are handy to reach the proper tightening of these larger fasteners......

Reactions: MattL and Kbar

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
That's because 3/4" can be used for 19mm.
And 11/16" for 17
9/16" for 14
1/2" for 13

Sometimes it don't werk

Exhaust bolts/nuts that degrade ala rust....Usually you can find a suitible wrench of a different breed that fits

Invest in a set of 6 point wrenches if you care too..Always good for Iffy F'ed up fasteners

Gear wrenhes....A big bonus for tight spots

And Now you need another tool box

I think I'm up too 6 rollaway stacked boxes..........A couple are full of gun toys .
Regardless...Buy the Biggest box you can..as in wide..HF has some good units as well as HD

I'm not paying 5K+ for a snapon box...yep they are nice but not that nice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Look into Tekton tools. I think they're a lot better than HF for not a lot of money. I've had lots of trouble with HF wrenches fitting sloppy or spreading open and slipping. The open end is usually just about worthless.

The finish and feel of the Tekton tools is darn good. Their sets are full sets with no skipping sizes. Yeah, you can go back and forth with metric and standard to share many sizes but it makes finding the right wrench or socket even more frustrating.

I have almost all snap on in my personal shop, and they're great tools, but it's a couple miles away and it really got old not having tools at home. I got a new box for the shop and stocked my old box for home. I added some of my extra overflow tools from the shop, a 192 piece dewalt socket set, picked up for $99 on black friday a couple years ago, along with several Tekton wrench sets in metric and standard. I was impressed enough with those that I've since bought a couple thousand dollars worth of tekton for the maintenance dept at work, and have a few more things to order in the future.

They're polished like the snap on, look great and feel great in hand. They're also strong, durable and fit well. I think they're an excellent balance of being thin and strong instead of just being a huge and thick wrench that still doesn't have any strength to resist opening up.

Their socket sets are full sets in well made blow molded cases for each drive size and they offer sets of different size ranges. Ordering direct can get you another 10% in rewards points. Service was even better than I ever thought it could be. I placed an order on Friday and the whole order was delivered by FedEx on SUNDAY! I didn't even know fedex delivered on Sunday!

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
You can never have too many wrenches, get both metric and SAE and multiple drive sizes from 1/4 to 1". You will use them on more than just your tractor. I pick them up at auctions when I was younger. Lately my son gave me several sets of good quality wrenches as he was down sizing and cleaning out his garage for storage.
I beg to differ. I had a complete collection with satellite sets in each truck. I just added 4 tool boxes, plus a milk crate.

8 gallons of screw drivers, 5 gallons of tin snips and 5 gallons of sockets and extensions also qualify as to many with full sets in each truck and a set plus impacts in the garage. Everything I’m keeping for wrenches, socket stuff, pliers fit in one of the little green toolbox’s. A couple screwdrivers were too long.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
16mm is another size you need for JD in general, but many kits skip.
Like I mentioned above...16mm was a subarU seat belt bolt..( 70's - 80's).Somehow its gained a new popularity.

Crazy but true...sometimes a 5/8" may fit

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gearwrench has been ok. I was surprised at that. 6pnt for sure, ratchet box wrenches are nice for tight space. When I replaced my SCV it was a mix of metric and SAE for the fittings. 22 or 24mm I had to go buy. 18mm - I've never used that until this tractor. 16mm is a size on some Ford things, only time I've used it. A set of impacts are nice to have. I picked up a big set with stnd, deep, SAE and metric on deep discount at Menards a couple months ago when they had sale. They are ok but not great. instead of the usual annodize they are painted :( so with use it will wear off. For casual use, I suppose. For Pro use, probably not. I still have old craftsman from the 60's and 70's from my father, with some newer ones from the 80's which are ok. the newest ones aren't great.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with @iamrfixit that Tekton are definitely superior to the lower priced Harbor Freight offerings. I have had good luck with Neiko as well.

I also have a Snap-On toolbox full of Snap-On tools... At the farm shop... 20 miles from my house... They are all SAE - got them back in the early '80s when I was a Deere mechanic... Back then everything was SAE. No way I could afford to go that route for Metric's now that I am retired - honestly not sure I would want to if I could.

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have complete sets of 1/4 drive, 3/8 drive, and 1/2 drive in metric and English. Most of this stuff is Craftsman that I bought in the mid 1980’s. I also have quite a few combo wrenches, open end and closed end on the same wrench in English and metric. About 5 years ago I bought 3/4 drive sets on English and metric. 9 out of 10 times I grab sockets over wrenches.

For your tractor start with metric sockets and wrenches, probably 3/8 and 1/2 drive would get used the most. Then add on as you can afford it by getting 1/4 drive and 3/4 drive. 3/4 drive will set you back the most. The 3/4 drive sets I bought were off Amazon and I just picked a set that didn’t look the cheapest. I’m never know what the status of Craftsman is these days. The Kobalt stuff they sell at Lowe’s looks O.K but I don’t own any.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.