Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am planning to clear out the back fence and since most of the vegetation is easier to trim since its cold figured I need to start with removing the growth from the trees before it kills it (maybe too late though). I hear the best method is to cut out at least a 3 foot section so the vine does not grow back together and it would kill the vine. I was going to cut out around a 6 foot section starting from the base of the tree to just above eye level. This stuff was a bit tougher than I thought but after exposing the vine I got a bit worried after viewing a youtube video on poison ivy. Here are a few pics:

Here is the tree covered:

Here are a few pics of what I found:

Here is the youtube video I found, go to 11:26 to get to what worries me, of course this is the internet and can't believe everything you see but figured I might ask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x6tbSg9Y6E

I do live in the south east if that helps anyone set me straight. I do not see the famous leaves of three but the "fuzzy" root stuff is what bothers me. Of course I might have more than one type plant growing on the tree as well but it looked like the green single leaves went back to the fuzzy root. Overall I am just paranoid about this stuff, it really screws me up.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
That's not poison ivy. It IS an ivy, but not one to be concerned with. It looks like it is English Ivy (aka "Common Ivy").

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,474 Posts
That's not poison ivy. It IS an ivy, but not one to be concerned with. It looks like it is English Ivy (aka "Common Ivy").
X2 :thumbup1gif:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I have some of that on my trees. Although I don't have a problem with poison ivy the rest of our family does and nobody has a problem with these vines.

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
A good rule of thumb is "Leaves of three, leave it be". Generally with poison ivy there will be three shiny leaves on each stem.

Poison_Ivy_in_Perrot_State_Park.jpg

·
Registered
414 Posts
Definitely English Ivy. That said, if I have my hands in it enough, it will cause little blisters just like poison ivy but I'm sensitive like that. One of the best pieces of information I can share with you though, is how to handle poison ivy. If you look down and realize you're knee deep in it, or that armful of weeds has poison ivy wrapped all in it, you have two hours to take action. (Though the faster, the better.) Get in the house, clothes in washer on warm or hot water and get yourself in a hot shower.

Use Dawn dish liquid as your shower soap and a gentle scrubby of some sort. The poison in ivy is an oil called urushiol. It takes awhile for that oil to penetrate the skin so the trick here is showering really well in something that will cut the oil/grease. There are far more expensive things you could do this with, too, but Dawn works really well and is safe for your skin. Just don't scrub so hard you scratch or break the skin. Lather really good a few times. When you're done, the scrubby you used needs to get tossed in the trash.

If you got to it fast enough, no poison ivy, or very little at least. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks SN. I will pass that along to my daughter. :thumbup1gif:
You're quite welcome! It is a lifesaver for me. Look at it this way, if it gets oil off of birds' feathers when they're trapped in an oil spill, getting oil off you is a cinch. ?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
You're quite welcome! It is a lifesaver for me. Look at it this way, if it gets oil off of birds' feathers when they're trapped in an oil spill, getting oil off you is a cinch. ?
I like using Dawn as hand soap as well. When I come in from the shop I have a big pump dispenser with orange Go Joe wit pumice or something like that. That is the first thing I use. Then I use Dawn for a second wash to get what I missed with the other hand cleaner. After that they are usually clean.

·
Premium Member
9,184 Posts
Dawn & Vinegar (50/50) mix.

Makes scrubbing bubbles look like slackers.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
In eastern PA we have some vines like that. After cutting a bunch of over head stuff I broke out so bad I had to see the doctor. He gave me an injection that cleared it up in a few days. I also found that just cutting the base of the vine with a chain saw was sufficient enough to kill it. I did not have to remove a three-foot section.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts