Green Tractor Talk banner

What did/will it cost you to add 200A electrical service to your building?

9686 Views 28 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  MachoDrone
  • I would like to add a separate 200A service and meter to my shop in-addition to the 100A subpanel from my home.
  • The power company's single phase terminates into my home's transformer on their pole.
  • My shop is exactly 100 feet from that pole where the meter would be mounted.
  • I don't know if the power company would add a 2nd transformer or replace the original transformer to support two meters for the home and shop.
What is your educated price to just getting a service panel connected to my shop?
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
I was quoted $4k for underground service from pole 80' away. Turn key price for meterbase, 200A panel and enough circuits to pass inspection: outside light @ door, inside light, 1 outlet. I quoted thr materials for 200A service at about $1500.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reactions: 3
You are missing a couple of details.

How is the power getting from the existing pole to the workshop? Are you going underground in conduit or overhead. My utility charged extra for underground because it changes the wire they use. If going overhead will you need a second pole to reach the workshop.

The meter will likely be installed on the workshop and not on the utility pole.

The utility company will likely have a fixed service charge for a new meter and building connection somewhere near $1000. That cost varies pretty dramatically from place to place.

Are you also asking for material costs to replace the breaker panel in the shop or is this just a question of what will the utility company charge you.
See less See more
Reactions: 2
@CJadamec, Whether overhead or underground, I'm asking what it costs, overall, since everyone will have different configurations. It just gives me a clue. This will be a new panel at the opposite end of my shop in addition to my sub-panel at the other end.
In addition to the 1K you mentioned, what was your grand total?
See less See more
Jth isnt too far off in material costs. 1500-2000 for panels, fittings, meter box, wiring, breakers etc.

Conduit and trench if going underground figure another 600-1k in material. 200amp will be 3" conduit at a minimum.

That's just materials at retail prices.

If you are paying an electrician is say around double material cost. Add 20% if they have to dig the utility trench for you.

Extra pole installed by utility company is probably around 1k. Just guessing there.
See less See more
not sure where all you guys live but I do all my own electrical on my rehabs. When I do a new service/upgrade this is my general costs.
200 amp panel $230
meter base $51
service entry wire $75
Misc fittings $100
Electric company overhead connection $154
Permit $40
I just did my new service on my shop so these prices are about 2 months old.
I have never spent anywhere near what is posted above.
See less See more
Jth isnt too far off in material costs. 1500-2000 for panels, fittings, meter box, wiring, breakers etc.

Conduit and trench if going underground figure another 600-1k in material. 200amp will be 3" conduit at a minimum.
My $1500 materials was 2 yrs ago and included the in ground pvc conduit, 2 1/2" sch 40 galvanized sweep ells, 40' of galvanized riser and pole conduit, weather head on pole, meter base, and 200A panel set (200A main, and assortment of 15A, 20A, 30A(240v) breakers. Renting a 48" trencher was another $250. Power company required the trench to be minimum of 36" below current grade.

Conduit size depends on your local utility requirements. In my case 200A service is 2 1/2" sch 40. The 400A service for our house required 3 1/2" conduit.

Overhead service saves on conduit and trenching cost. Distance of 100' away from current pole may not require an additional pole. It depends on the site and elevation of shop relative to current pole and local power company requirements. Most likely current transformer can service both shop and house.

Power company connection was an additional $1k. All was included in the contractors quote of $4500. Contractors fee was appx $1.88k for wiring, labor, and digging trench .

My power company requires 1 outdoor light circuit, 1 indoor light circuit, and 1 indoor outlet in order to energize a meter. Shop was to be hooked up to current transformer. I elected to daisy chain a 60A service from the barn for lights, 110v outlets , 5hp air compressor, plasma cutter, and MIG/TIG welders. Once i set up the A/C i will install the 200A service. Currently have a jumper from a 100A service box (supplied via a 60A breaker in barn) to the 200A service panel on wall of shop where meter base will go. In the future will just need to install meter base and feed from pole. Have not yet decided on underground or overhead.

Be aware that rates for outbuilding meters are different than residences. Our well pump meter never exceeds the minimum $35 monthly charge. Pump house is 130' below and 2000' away from our house, thus has its own meter. The different rate is one reason i will likely leave the shop office lights and minisplit A/C on the house circuit. Only put the new 7.5hp compressor, welders, door openers, 2 post lift, bay lights, etc on the shop meter.

See less See more
not sure where all you guys live but I do all my own electrical on my rehabs. When I do a new service/upgrade this is my general costs.
200 amp panel $230
meter base $51
service entry wire $75
Misc fittings $100
Electric company overhead connection $154
Permit $40
I just did my new service on my shop so these prices are about 2 months old.
I have never spent anywhere near what is posted above.
Did you have to put in a 2 1/2 sch 40 galv riser from the meter box up to the weatherhead? A 10' stick is about $100 now. IIRC, the 2 1/2" sweep ells were over $50 ea. In my case i needed 4 sticks to come up at the panel, and to go up the pole. Over head to my shop would be much cheaper. But I did pay about the same for my 200A service panel kit.

See less See more
Did you have to put in a 2 1/2 sch 40 galv riser from the meter box up to the weatherhead? A 10' stick is about $100 now. IIRC, the 2 1/2" sweep ells were over $50 ea. In my case i needed 4 sticks to come up at the panel, and to go up the pole. Over head to my shop would be much cheaper. But I did pay about the same for my 200A service panel kit.

no galvanized not required, 12' above finished grade attached to building, gable end.
See less See more
My utility required a galvanized elbow at the poll. The rest of my conduit was pvc. That one galvanized elbow in 3" cost me $250 7 years ago.

As I said prices vary pretty dramatically from place to place, particularly for labor.

I was alone being conservative on the estimates for the insane costs and availability of materials right now.
See less See more
  • I would like to add a separate 200A service and meter to my shop in-addition to the 100A subpanel from my home.
  • The power company's single phase terminates into my home's transformer on their pole.
  • My shop is exactly 100 feet from that pole where the meter would be mounted.
  • I don't know if the power company would add a 2nd transformer or replace the original transformer to support two meters for the home and shop.
What is your educated price to just getting a service panel connected to my shop?
Last Oct. an electrician installed a line from my breaker box in the basement to my shop. Total length 92 feet. 55' was underground and I dug the trench. They supplied and installed the cable, conduit and 100 amp panel inside the shop. Total was $2,127.
See less See more
WOW! yes they do vary and so does the power suppliers fee!

I had to pay a licensed electrician to set my meter base, breaker panel and run two circuits, one with an outlet, one with a light. Of course we did those right next to the breaker panel. If I remember right cost was less than 1K including inspection. I may have supplied the ground rods, you have to use two of those now... I may have picked up the conduit from the meter base to underground too. Either way, its only 50-75 bucks in material there.

Power company ran from my pole to the barn underground free, it was less than 140' and I stubbed conduit down and out under the concrete slab for them to feed into the meter base.
See less See more
You are looking at 2K ish for materials up to 4Kish for a turn key job from an EC.
It’s going to vary obviously, but those numbers should help establish a budget to work with
In 2014, $1,500 for up to 300 ft of wire ran underground from new meter on pole to 200a panel they set inside building. Local REC did so no electrical inspection required after installation.
Few month back, when getting a 235 foot line from house to shop sub-panel. Also got a price for separate meter with 200A service. About $3500 from transformer which is exactly 45 feet from shop.
$8 ft for an underground run approximately 200', $150 for an Eaton BR meter socket/load breaker combo, 6' of 4/0-4/0-2/0 UDR entrance wire and about $150 for 2" conduit, fittings and bodies to run through the wall with the meter almost directly in line with the inside main panel. Mine was already wired for 200A service but it came from the feed through lugs on my house's main panel and my 7.5hp compressor was overloading the system. So we had a new line run from the transformer to the shop. Total cost was under $2k.
See less See more
In the last couple of months I had the electric company add a transformer and run overhead to my shop, 200 AMP service, took them about an hour. I gave them a check for $2300.
The parts add up quick. Wire is still pretty high. I think it was 200 just for the #2 for my end of the service. My panel was 150, meter base was another 60. The sch 40 pipe and fittings was about another 100. The #6 ground wire was $40 for 20 feet.
About half knowing what I was doing and passing inspection, was priceless.
See less See more
Reactions: 3
January 2019 in Central NC I paid $2300 for the electrician and most materials to wire a 24 x 24 new workshop. I provided the meter base, main panel and breakers, also all light fixtures since I had some from another job. They provide all wire, labor, install and inspections.

The new 200 amp meter was installed for free by Duke Power, including the trench and connection. I have a ground transformer about 60' away that feeds both the house and new service. Their engineer calculated my load and said I'd never come close to using up the current transformer capacity. Maybe they'd need to upgrade if I had a couple EV superchargers installed. But the current transformer could handle up to 4 regular high speed chargers and even 3 phase if needed for the workshop.
See less See more
As a licensed electrician I can say that the price can fluctuate depending on region and local codes or lack there of. Right now material and wire are at a historic high, Wire here just increase again. I won't give bids anymore, strictly Time & Material
Boy times have changed. when i moved in 1990 I ran a seperate 200 amp service to my 24x26 un attached garage. I mounted the meter base on side of garage and put in a large service panel inside. My Local power company ran power to it for free. they ran about 70 feet under ground from the pole to the garage. On my house I do have a pole that is my own. Its between the street and house. The only reason i knew it was my pole the Cable company needed my permission to run cable to my neighbors house off of it. They had told him that they would have to run off the street pole and run the service into the front of his house, unless he got my permission to let them use "MY" pole. Of course i said fine but i had to sign a waiver.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.