Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 6506 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there's a thread for the "too small" and one for "too big", so I thought maybe there could be a thread for Goldilocks' "just right" sized tractors. :laugh:

I recently had to remove some young trees on a hill next to a building. With the trees out of the way, I then decided to regrade the hill a bit. As you can see in the photos, the tractor is backed up the hill where there was barely enough width, which made me glad to have a MCUT instead of anything bigger on this particular day.

A small protrusion of stone ended up being the proverbial mammoth piece of glacier that was almost too big for the 46 backhoe to manage. Almost. By digging out around it, I was just barely able to pull it up and slide it over the edge. I was surprised and impressed that this little hoe was able to do anything with this slab, which I estimate to weigh around 3500 lbs.

And I learned a comical lesson during this work that might save someone else a trip to the dentist. With the tractor being situated tight up against trees and brush, it was tough to get off of the left side to get around to the backhoe. So, I thought I would hang onto the ROPS, step on the back tire, and swing around. With the trans in neutral and the stabilizers down, you can probably figure out without my telling that this was not too bright. The tire spun like a river log and there I was running in place like some kind of cartoon character or an unsuspecting participant on that funny TV show Wipeout. After a few moments, I managed to get one foot on the fender. It made a muddy mess, but thankfully no one saw my amateur move and since no one will ever know about this, I'm saved from any embarrassment. :laugh:

It just goes to show, you really need to think about every move on these machines. Stupidity is always just a synapse away.

Now to figure out what to do with that stone.... :hi:

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,153 Posts
Been there done that. I always do that "hang onto the ROPS, step on the back tire, and swing around" deal but now have the emergency brake on. The brake works real good but what it does not account for is mud covered shoes/boots that just slide right off the tire and you end up looking at the sky.

Reactions: SAHD96 and JD-4100

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,153 Posts
I also wish JD had seen fit to add another step on the others side of the 46BH. Just Sayin!

Reactions: bfloyd4445

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been there done that. I always do that "hang onto the ROPS, step on the back tire, and swing around" deal but now have the emergency brake on. The brake works real good but what it does not account for is mud covered shoes/boots that just slide right off the tire and you end up looking at the sky.
Yes, that would have been helpful. But I don't use the parking brake when using the backhoe. One, when raising and lowering, the wheels often need to roll a bit but mostly, if you need to re-position from the hoe seat, it doesn't work too well with the brakes on. Surely this isn't new news.

BUT, this does remind me of a good little side note tidbit for newer guys to hear. If you have the split brake lever open, and then set the parking brake, only one wheel gets braked. You can see only one pedal being held down. Obviously, this is no good if parked on uneven terrain and the braked wheel is unloaded. I found this out against my will at some point long ago. I don't know which tractors this might or might not apply to other than the 2520/2720.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,153 Posts
Chris are you saying you have never raise your BH outriggers while in the BH seat and had the tractor take off on ya? If not than you have plenty to look forward to.:lol: Careful out there!
BTW, I never have! :hide:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,153 Posts
That kind of thing doesn't even raise my heartbeat anymore. Just everyone else's around me.
That statement is so true.

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
Great thread Chris, possibly the best thread of all time.:drinks:

We've been getting hammered lately with crazy storms with enormous downpours. Northern Nashville got 7" in 3 hours one morning last week. This was Briley parkway at 6:45 AM last Thursday

IMG_2954.JPG IMG_2955.JPG IMG_2956.JPG IMG_2957.jpg

Needless to say this amount of rain has been doing some serious erosion to my gravel driveway...

IMG_3001.jpg IMG_3002.jpg IMG_3003.jpg

And here it is "conquered":lol:

IMG_3004.jpg

Neighbor suffered more damage... He's lucky he has a neighbor with the best "right sized" tractor on the planet.:thumbup1gif:

IMG_3006.jpg IMG_3007.jpg IMG_3005.jpg IMG_3011.jpg IMG_3009.jpg

Unfortunately the storms attacked us again before we could get his culvert cleaned out and flowing again. He needs at least 2 loads of gravel to get the grading back to where it needs to be. The last quote he got was $460 for 22 ton delivered. Holy cow! That's insane... I need gravel too but not at $460 a load.:thumbsdown:

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Needless to say this amount of rain has been doing some serious erosion to my gravel driveway...

And here it is "conquered":lol:
What did you use to get the stone off of the lawn? Please don't report that you had to use any....dare I say it....hand tools

shocked_face.jpg

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Moved 3/4 of our 8 month old manure pile...

Also flattened the turn around for our horse trailer.
I cleared portions of our ATV/Horse path on the property...

Still haven't gotten the backhoe yet... but I've already taken off and put back on the ballast bucket.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
He doesn't own one.:cray:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just some light work today... loaded up the ballast box with some decent sized rocks. Moved the rest of the manure pile... smoothed out the ATV trail some more with the manure...

Also we had a decent sized tree fall on the path, so I cut it up and hauled it out...
TractorWorking.jpg

The firewood pile got much higher today, as I continued to take down small trees for the future horse pasture. Can't wait to get the backhoe so I can dig out these stumps though.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Jason, I was in Nashville on business when that storm hit. At breakfast in the hotel everyone was talking about it. we did not have to go out until a little after noon for our appointment so we missed all the excitement. I saw where one creek had over flooded the road and the bridge had all kinds of tree debris on it. We were right around the Grand Ole Opry hotel. I will be coming back to Nashville on the 28th and 29th of August.

Reactions: Masonboswell

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
Jason, I was in Nashville on business when that storm hit. At breakfast in the hotel everyone was talking about it. we did not have to go out until a little after noon for our appointment so we missed all the excitement. I saw where one creek had over flooded the road and the bridge had all kinds of tree debris on it. We were right around the Grand Ole Opry hotel. I will be coming back to Nashville on the 28th and 29th of August.
You should drop me a PM when you drop in again. :drinks:

1 - 20 of 6506 Posts