Green Tractor Talk banner

4881 - 4895 of 4895 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yes I do, there is a guy on YouTube I was chatting with, he has the same setup as mine. He's the one that told me to get the rubber edge, said it won't push off the crusher run either, but to me it's worth a try. But yes, once frozen in the past with the plow I've always been able to run with the shoes almost not touching, but I never removed them completely in case I ran into uneven spots, sort of like setup for anti-scalp.
I use a rubber edge, long enough to roll under the plow (9" I believe, with holes centered, so 3-4" hanging below cutting edge), and it never removes gravel. It basically pushes a small amount of snow down to the gravel, and the rest off the gravel. I can run angled, or whatever without issue. I also dont have to wait for things to freeze to run it.
I clear my 400+ feet and my neighbors 600+ feet of gravel drive using it.
I do not use the blade for much else but snow, so no need to have a more solid edge on it.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
Big Jim - thanks for the pics at your boys’ place.

Funny that we are in the same state and only about 100 miles away and the different names we have for stuff. What you call slate is what we call shale up here. It’s easy to find if you dig into any bank. All the back (dirt) roads have a little shale pit along them that they use for repairs.

Slate on top - shale on the bottom.

B129694B-B50A-45DC-A7AC-679845303630.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
You should. BigJim already has 35 subscribers to his channel so he's not far behind.
:laugh:

It’s for the guys without much time.:hi:

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
So I can call my photos videos now:dunno: If you make tractor noises it is pretty much the same.:laugh:
Would that be a "silent picture"?

Sincerely

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,221 Posts
Funny that we are in the same state and only about 100 miles away and the different names we have for stuff. What you call slate is what we call shale up here. It’s easy to find if you dig into any bank. All the back (dirt) roads have a little shale pit along them that they use for repairs.

Slate on top - shale on the bottom.
I would guess what you show there are both shale.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
I would guess what you show there are both shale.
I used a couple sites like this to check myself before posting -

Slate vs Shale

As I said shale is common around here - plentiful and cheap for working bigger projects. Slate is a more refined stone as a way to put it - see it around here for sidewalks etc. Don’t know if slate is natural to my area or not.

·
Registered
853 Posts
A funny story about tire chains. I tow my travel trailer in winter a lot. In all the NW states if the truck is 4WD and it and the trailer have legal snow tires you don't need chains. You must have them for both units but you never have to put them on at the enforcement stop point. So last week I get to the enforcement stop in Kalifornia. They made me chain the trailer but not the truck. The truth is in WA they would be snow tires required in the same conditions as those. Only semis would have to chain. But it seems stupid to make me chain the trailer and not the truck. I have been through much worse with nothing and been fine. The BFG all terrain tires on the trailer keep it straight and allow the brakes to help slow the rig. The Cooper AT3s on the truck are the best snow ice and rain tires I have ever had. They would be on the trailer as well if they came in that size. Even in OR on I 80 over Cabbage they let you go with my setup without chains and I have never had any problem. Slow and steady gets it done.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
I've done lots of trailer towing in ca sometimes in snowy conditions and never had to chain my trailer. Where were you when this happened? I tow mostly in the northern part of the state.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've done lots of trailer towing in ca sometimes in snowy conditions and never had to chain my trailer. Where were you when this happened? I tow mostly in the northern part of the state.
Just over the OR border. SB 5. North of Shasta City. That's where they were doing it NB.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,487 Posts
Great video BigJim55....................................
So I can call my photos videos now:dunno: If you make tractor noises it is pretty much the same.:laugh:
:dunno:hey i said i touched the wrong thumping button on my new to me phone--so i didn't say it was a great action video--did i?:lol: it was a video of a idling jd tractor filled with slate in the bucket

:banghead::banghead::lolol::lolol:

It would appear so. :lol:

I'm going to rethink this entire process.
:lolol:i wished their was a hands being throw ed up in the air about now. and a head shaker too.:mocking::munch:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
a week or so ago-my youngest boy had the same fella and his son brring out some more slate to build a pad for his new pre-built shed he bought to house his orange tractors-ugh-but hey there his-not mine:laugh:

the owner is getting up there(almost or maybe DRobinson's age:laugh::hide: all of 78 now) anyways i think he didn't feel to good that day--or---my boy didn't explain to him good enough what he wanted. like i told him(boy) u got to explain very well what u need.
here's a pic of his pad
this part was find--but to the right of this new pad, the boy should of said hey just fill it in to make it level. as it was low and would make a water hole later. so i had to carry several buckets of a load of extra slate he had them dump for fixing small potholes later on.

i had to track this bank in-i said if u had told Barry u wanted it tracked in, he would done it with his dozer. but he didn't so i tracked it in with the 2520--it was rough to get it done--very steep--i said to my boy-why wouldn't ur new orange machine do it? aw-dad i don't think it will do--i said why not-let me on:laugh: it was tough on the ole girl as whatever u call the thingee that throws the hydro out -well it did it here--had to hold the diff lock down -take a running start and jump his little ditch to start up the bank. it did it-oh. told him that's not the way to treat a tractor-oh. dozer was meant to do that work. oh well its for the boy-right.:munch:

here's his outdoor furnace he built yrs ago--these trees are some of the ones we cut at my great aunt's place weeks ago.

he was working on this roll back of the neighbors, they finally went and bought the right piece of angle iron(it was aluminum) they tore it out or well off the end of the hydraulic cylinder that slides the bed back and forth. took em 4 weeks before they went and got the right piece:banghead: them boys are kinda tight:lol: anyways in a hr he had it welded back in and fixed. he did that while i played above him on the new pad.

didn't get any pics of the finished project---i carried 2 B gravel up and dressed the top of the slate with it--it turned out pretty good. company that built the shed wanted 2 B gravel down for their warranty of the shed. so we did it-i feel slate would of been just fine-as it drains good too. hoping to be there when they bring it out and set it.
i was freezing by the time i was done--that's why no finished pics... tractor is still on trailer as i type this.
hoping its warmer today to go over to my great aunts as a nice blue spruce blew over from our high winds we had last week.
Thats funny. Your Green orange story reminded me of the first toyota tv commercials in which they demonstrated how big and tough the new BIG toy was and how it could pull 10,000 pounds up a slope. In the commercial there were two other trucks obviously used to set up the set and they were Ford F250's. Someone taped one and posted it at powerstroke.org. Was funny.

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
BigJim55;3399940]a week or so ago-my youngest boy had the same fella and his son brring out some more slate to build a pad for his new pre-built shed he bought to house his orange tractors-ugh-but hey there his-not mine:laugh:

the owner is getting up there(almost or maybe DRobinson's age:laugh::hide: all of 78 now) anyways i think he didn't feel to good that day--or---my boy didn't explain to him good enough what he wanted. like i told him(boy) u got to explain very well what u need.

I'm not there yet Jim - I have a a bit over three years to go to get to 78. By the way, some times we don't listen to well, either.:laugh:

4881 - 4895 of 4895 Posts