Green Tractor Talk banner

5081 - 5100 of 5200 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
YUP! I made that about 30 years ago. I hurt my back in the mid 80's trying to lift logs to hand split so when I decided to make this one, I thought why not use the hydraulics to work more. It may not be perfect but I've lifted 45" diameter pieces to split. The lift and tongs holds them while I put them thru the wedge. Its been awesome. I made the boom long enough that I can load pieces on/off to the back of my truck.

I put a similar hydraulic lift (a engine hoist setup) on the front of my 6' X 12' utility trailer to load 10' -12' logs. The tractors forks have been extremely helpful in unloading. I've found I can pick them up from the end, if they're not to heavy, and unload the complete trailer. Thankyou LORD - I don't have to use my back like I used to when I was younger.👍
Nuttin wrong with using your back. The issue is most of use do so in an improper manner leading to future injury. Few people know the correct way to lift and of those that do fewer yet put it into practice. I try to but i still often lift wrong in a hurry or because the object is light.
You certainly have a nice setup would be fun to play with.(y)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Got to play with the new tractor today. Plowed out the in laws, one of their neighbors, the horse barn and finally our place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So that's what missed us in Wisconsin.🤣😇

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Mike i was getting quotes last summer for the 3033R. My dealer told me its an extra $1500 to grab the 3039R OOS instead, seems like an easy/smart move imo. The 3046 I like was 6k on top of that.

Not sure if you're interested in used but there is a dude in NH selling a 2014 3039R with a loader, 59" blower, 385A backhoe, 366 plow, 3rd SCV all for 33k. Or there is a dude in PA with a 2018 4052R with loader for $29k. Obviously they don't get you 0% financing but both awesome options.

I know we had a few private convos 1-2yrs ago when I was considering a 2038R. In that time I've changed my mind to go to a 3R because I want to lift full IBC totes of wet/dry firewood up onto my deck for easier/shorter route into my home.
I'm actually having second thoughts. :)

I feel like I'm putting down a faithful horse for no good reason. It's still up on craigstlist, but I dunno. Feels weird. It's such a good machine.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
I'm actually having second thoughts. :)

I feel like I'm putting down a faithful horse for no good reason. It's still up on craigstlist, but I dunno. Feels weird. It's such a good machine.
I get like that also - second guessing myself about a lot of things.

I usually try to find an omen of sorts. In your case it would be a quick no hassle sale of your tractor and a great deal on what you want. If that doesn’t happen it wasn't meant to be.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
You aren't sending it to a junkyard.

You are simply passing it on to someone else to enjoy. Maybe it is the "upgrade" they have been waiting for.

When I got my new 39R I felt great about the deal. The morning I picked it up I had my old machine loaded and tied down and for a moment I reflected on all the work and fun I had with that tractor.

When I got home with the new tractor, I set about making new memories.

A few months later Dad was here for Thanksgiving and I was grinding late leaves with the Z. I managed to get it stuck so I put Dad on the new tractor to pull me out. He liked my previous tractor and didn't understand why I traded it. When he parked the 3R back in the barn he told me "You did good".

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
I bet you thought you'd slip that by us, right?
View attachment 726786
Nothing to slip.

A good tractor is a good tractor.

It did all I needed it to and did it well.

If it wasn't for wanting a backhoe, I'd still have it.

The 375A/385A backhoes are a game changer that the competition hasn't matched... And I also have an awesome JD dealer here.

And,...... I've got a 3R now.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Looks like the 2 handled that bale pretty well.

Glad you are liking the new tractor Pat.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts

Pretty countryside and farm. How big are the bales?

Treefarmer

·
Registered
12,545 Posts

It definitely handles them better, I liked the 25R, but it was just too small.
Pretty countryside and farm. How big are the bales?

Treefarmer
4x4's, last year we made them more dense, they average about 6-700 lbs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So that's what missed us in Wisconsin.🤣😇
Sure! I make one tiny little comment, and you guys all gang up on me! :mad: Just a little sarcasm and SOMEONE sends me a PAY BACK. 7" OF PAYBACK!! (lol) Just go ahead - I can take it (along with 2 1/2 hrs of seat time - isn't life GREAT! ):love:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I liked the idea of HomesteadJoe's hood opening modification, but I have the new style rod that prevents it from just being bent and sticking out of the hole. So I welded an extension onto that rod (don't judge me, I'm new to welding and don't really know what I'm doing) and now I have both the extended push button opener and my quick and dirty zip-tie pull thing. Of the two, the rod extension is obviously the more elegant solution, but the zip tie loop is easier and more pleasant to use (I don't have to snake my hand down there behind the loader stand and grill guard). I'm going to leave both on so I can open it from either side without having to reach all the way around.

I know, I know. Why am I modding this tractor when it's on craigslist to be sold? I don't know, okay? I just want to. :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
MODS: if this is too off topic, feel free to delete. I copied it so I can start a new topic if you delete it.

I'm having even more second thoughts about selling my tractor and buying a new one. I'd like some input, if you guys don't mind.

I looked at the 4 series, and it's just too big and heavy. I don't need something that big. Everything I do could be done with a 1025R, so getting a 4 series would be massive overkill. I mean...if it was the exact same price, maybe I'd take it, but while it's not much more than a 2R or 3R, it is more.

3R. Great tractors, considerable bump in capability, really the same size as the large 2Rs with a slightly better turn radius. But...they are going to redesign them in like 2 years, and they are going to have all of the ergonomic perks of the large frame 2Rs with the added capability of a 3R. So if I lose money selling and buying now, I will feel really bad (and dumb) in 2 years. I'll be back in the same boat as I am now, wanting something "bigger and better."

So...I have no idea what to do now. Should I just accept that I really want a 4 series but am intimidated by the size?

Should I buy a 3R and promise myself never to go to a JD dealer and ask the admins to delete my GTT account as soon as I hear rumors of a 3R redesign?

Or should I just keep this thing, at least until the new 3Rs come out?

Or...and I know this is blasphemy...should I look at other tractor brands? Massey Fergusons look pretty cool. Don't really like Kubota or New Holland. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Or...and I know this is blasphemy...should I look at other tractor brands? Massey Fergusons look pretty cool. Don't really like Kubota or New Holland. Any other ideas?
Ok, calm down, take a breath, lets not get to crazy here.

Want or need. I'm thinking this is a want.

You really like your new design 2R. We've had this discussion.....

Some of the things that you like about your 2R are not going to be on a current model 3R. If you don't need (or cannot use) the extra ability/capacity of the 3R you really won't be able to appreciate the tractor that it is, and as a result I think you will miss what you like most about your 2R.

Who really knows when they will re-design the 3R, and when they do, what it will be?

I get the wanting a bigger tractor thing. I have it to. However to upgrade the tractor toy, I am first going to have to upgrade the playground. Right now my 3R is perfect for the current playground I have.

I am thinking you should keep the 2R for now. Wait and see what the new 3R turns out to be. If it has all the stuff you like about your 2R plus the added ability/capacity - go for it.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
MODS: if this is too off topic, feel free to delete. I copied it so I can start a new topic if you delete it.
Really, you have been on here long enough to know this is actually on topic for a tractor site and you have seen how far this thread get go off topic. (Cool emoji here)

Agreed we cant answer this. It is like a lot of us. A want no matter how we validate it. Hobbies, whether tractors, cars, golf or fishing are an expensive habit.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I just thought of a reason not to wait for a redesigned 3R. The first fuel filter...they are probably going to put the fuel tank in the back somewhere, if not in the fender, and that means that first fuel filter is probably not going to be in the engine bay. Hmm. The current one has it in the engine bay, so that would mean no more cold weather problems. That would be...nice (but also boring!).

I hate this. This is hard. Why can't I just be happy with what I have? Maybe instead of bigger tractors, I should be paying for therapy. :)

·
Registered
21,484 Posts

I'm having even more second thoughts about selling my tractor and buying a new one. I'd like some input, if you guys don't mind.

I looked at the 4 series, and it's just too big and heavy. I don't need something that big. Everything I do could be done with a 1025R, so getting a 4 series would be massive overkill. I mean...if it was the exact same price, maybe I'd take it, but while it's not much more than a 2R or 3R, it is more.

3R. Great tractors, considerable bump in capability, really the same size as the large 2Rs with a slightly better turn radius. But...they are going to redesign them in like 2 years, and they are going to have all of the ergonomic perks of the large frame 2Rs with the added capability of a 3R. So if I lose money selling and buying now, I will feel really bad (and dumb) in 2 years. I'll be back in the same boat as I am now, wanting something "bigger and better."

So...I have no idea what to do now. Should I just accept that I really want a 4 series but am intimidated by the size?

Should I buy a 3R and promise myself never to go to a JD dealer and ask the admins to delete my GTT account as soon as I hear rumors of a 3R redesign?

Or should I just keep this thing, at least until the new 3Rs come out?

I’ve been through similar things a few times in my life.

What it comes down to for me - with hopefully a little wisdom gained at my age - is to use what you have and be happy you have it.

If you can’t lift something - make it so it will work. You mentioned a tote full of firewood. How hard would it be to load these totes so your present tractor can lift it?

I struggle with big decisions like this. For some reason as I get older - and a disese that causes major brain fog - I find myself second guessing myself all the time. I will have days and days of sleepless nights over thinking even a $100 purchase.

1.5 years ago I bought a new truck. Actually bought a 3 year old truck instead of new like usual. Yet another effect of my over thinking. It was a 10 day ordeal of sleepless nights. My wife finally said - who never says a anything about any of my purchases - that I am supposed to enjoy getting a new truck - not have it making me toss and turn all night.

I seem to be the type of person who is never actually content.

Try this - take a piece of paper and a pen and make a list - two columns - one each for pros and cons of your current tractor and a list of pros and cons of buying a new tractor. Take a few days to do this. in this interim take a look at your list and what you find lacking about your current tractor. Then go out and run your tractor some. Kind of tough this time of year being winter but give it a try.

As far as your fuel filter saga - you found a good solution for that. And how many days out of 365 do you have that issue? You should feel proud that you conquered that.

As rtgt said - stop and take a breath!

5081 - 5100 of 5200 Posts