Green Tractor Talk banner

5101 - 5120 of 5240 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,287 Posts
Try this - take a piece of paper and a pen and make a list - two columns - one each for pros and cons of your current tractor and a list of pros and cons of buying a new tractor.
Excellent Idea. I am constantly finding these types of lists that Mrs. CP and I made years ago. I haven't yet found one where we regretted the decision we made.

·
Premium Member
12,603 Posts
Yeah, I mean, who needs a bigger tractor anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You guys are pretty great. I really appreciate being a part of this community. Thank you for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I liked the idea of HomesteadJoe's hood opening modification, but I have the new style rod that prevents it from just being bent and sticking out of the hole. So I welded an extension onto that rod (don't judge me, I'm new to welding and don't really know what I'm doing) and now I have both the extended push button opener and my quick and dirty zip-tie pull thing. Of the two, the rod extension is obviously the more elegant solution, but the zip tie loop is easier and more pleasant to use (I don't have to snake my hand down there behind the loader stand and grill guard). I'm going to leave both on so I can open it from either side without having to reach all the way around.

I know, I know. Why am I modding this tractor when it's on craigslist to be sold? I don't know, okay? I just want to. :)

View attachment 726958
View attachment 726959
View attachment 726960
I would shorten that rod up so that only the minimum required to open the hood is sticking out. Nice job mike01!
Sincerely

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
[QUOTE="mike01, post: 3424579, member: 68002
. Everything I do could be done with a 1025R,
[/QUOTE]

The above statement you made in one of your previous posts, really said it all for me. "Everything I do could be done with a 1025R."

And you now have a 2018 - 2032R.

Let's let that sink in for a bit.

The 2032R can do what.. maybe 40% more than a 1025R? And yet you want a bigger tractor ! Others have eluded to want vs need in previous posts and this is certainly a big part of the equation I feel as well. BUT, would you really be happier if you had a newer, bigger tractor? I'm going to answer that based on my many many years of wants.....and unfulfilled satisfaction.
You won't be any happier.. period. You think you want it, but you don't. Ever heard of post purchase dissonance? You will have it in spades.

You have already stated your pre sale regrets of the 2032R.

Coaltrain made a comment earlier on...
"What it comes down to for me - with hopefully a little wisdom gained at my age - is to use what you have and be happy you have it.
If you can’t lift something - make it so it will work. You mentioned a tote full of firewood. How hard would it be to load these totes so your present tractor can lift it?"

There it is right there.... "use what you have and be happy you have it." Succinct and to the point.

Money doesn't buy happiness, and neither will a shiny new 3R tractor in your driveway.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or throw a wet blanket on your hopes, dreams and desires. We all have them, and we all need them. It's why we get up in the morning and soldier on thru our days.

Go ahead and make that list of why you think you need a new bigger tractor, be honest with yourself, and remember, "Everything I do could be done with a 1025R."

Good luck with your decision and share with us your list and thoughts.

Cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
MODS: if this is too off topic, feel free to delete. I copied it so I can start a new topic if you delete it.

I'm having even more second thoughts about selling my tractor and buying a new one. I'd like some input, if you guys don't mind.

I looked at the 4 series, and it's just too big and heavy. I don't need something that big. Everything I do could be done with a 1025R, so getting a 4 series would be massive overkill. I mean...if it was the exact same price, maybe I'd take it, but while it's not much more than a 2R or 3R, it is more.

3R. Great tractors, considerable bump in capability, really the same size as the large 2Rs with a slightly better turn radius. But...they are going to redesign them in like 2 years, and they are going to have all of the ergonomic perks of the large frame 2Rs with the added capability of a 3R. So if I lose money selling and buying now, I will feel really bad (and dumb) in 2 years. I'll be back in the same boat as I am now, wanting something "bigger and better."

So...I have no idea what to do now. Should I just accept that I really want a 4 series but am intimidated by the size?

Should I buy a 3R and promise myself never to go to a JD dealer and ask the admins to delete my GTT account as soon as I hear rumors of a 3R redesign?

Or should I just keep this thing, at least until the new 3Rs come out?

Or...and I know this is blasphemy...should I look at other tractor brands? Massey Fergusons look pretty cool. Don't really like Kubota or New Holland. Any other ideas?
Decisions Decisions! I don't know much about you so I can only comment on how I went about things here. I had a 1948 Cub that served me extremely well. The only reason its not outside is I got tired of not being able to get parts and the head gasket blew and 2 bolts broke off in the head. My wife really didn't like the idea of spending $15k on a used tractor but it was time, and if I was going to bite the bullet, I was going to get something that could do what I wanted and expected to do in the future.
1) All brands were open for review. I went green because of a long time desire, local dealer, access to parts and Deere reputation.
2) I'm retired so $ isn't flowing like it used to. In fact, it often flows in reverse to much. LOL So this was probably a one time shot.
3) If $ isn't an issue, then WHAT THE HECK! If the budget is in the middle, maybe rent one for 2 years to see what they look like later.
4) If you truly really like what you've got. Keep it. You know the machine and its history. Sometimes new isn't all its cracked up to be.

Good luck my friend. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If lift capacity is an issue check the pressure setting. Get the gauge from Kens bolts on hooks. They set them at or a little below the low and of the range. There is an adjuster on the bottom of the joystick valve. Set it to the max. I did that on mine and it made a huge differance. I store my backhoe on a pallet I made for it. It would get about 1/2" off the ground before. It will lift it to full height now. Get the proper range specs and reset it to max of the range. I would say it increased the lift at least 200 pounds on my 2025R. Now I store it on my tilt deck trailer under a cover. I couldn't do that before. Don't do it without a gauge. They are not that expensive.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
" Everything I do could be done with a 1025R,"

The above statement you made in one of your previous posts, really said it all for me. "Everything I do could be done with a 1025R."

And you now have a 2018 - 2032R.

Let's let that sink in for a bit.
Okay but how many of us here is that not true of? I would say very few. 1025R can't lift your hay bale? Make smaller hay bales. It can't run your bailer? Get a smaller bailer. I would say it's true of those us who make money from our tractors, and then only because it would take too long to be profitable.

BUT, would you really be happier if you had a newer, bigger tractor? I'm going to answer that based on my many many years of wants.....and unfulfilled satisfaction.
You won't be any happier.. period. You think you want it, but you don't. Ever heard of post purchase dissonance? You will have it in spades.
For a while, yes. Then it would be the same. Isn't that true of all things? I mean, we all know that, and yet look at how often many of us trade tractors.

You have already stated your pre sale regrets of the 2032R.
Yes, and at this point I'm leaning towards keeping it. I appreciate the advice, as always.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I personally would never go bigger than what I have. I don't want to deal with emissions or electronic engine management. There is too many things to cost a lot of money there.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,603 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Okay at this point I'm fairly certain I don't want to sell it. It's hard to take down the craigslist ad because of all the work I put into it. But I'll get around to it.

If this really is the perfect tractor for me, then I have to pay it off before I buy a new toy. :)

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Okay at this point I'm fairly certain I don't want to sell it. It's hard to take down the craigslist ad because of all the work I put into it. But I'll get around to it.

If this really is the perfect tractor for me, then I have to pay it off before I buy a new toy. :)
Cut and paste the craigslist add into an email along with copies of all the photos and send it to yourself. This way you will preserve all your hard work for future use.
Sincerely

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Cut and paste the craigslist add into an email along with copies of all the photos and send it to yourself. This way you will preserve all your hard work for future use.
Sincerely
That goes without saying. But still...like...you built something pretty, and you wanna see it out in the public. Like art. :)

Also, I firmly believe it is the "power" to get rid of my tractor and replace it with just about anything (reasonable) that I want that has in a way forced me to appreciate it and love it in a way I couldn't before. And I don't want to give that power up just yet. When we feel stuck with things, we tend to not appreciate them.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
That goes without saying. But still...like...you built something pretty, and you wanna see it out in the public. Like art. :)

Also, I firmly believe it is the "power" to get rid of my tractor and replace it with just about anything (reasonable) that I want that has in a way forced me to appreciate it and love it in a way I couldn't before. And I don't want to give that power up just yet. When we feel stuck with things, we tend to not appreciate them.
This has been an exercise in getting yourself to re-appreciate your tractor in so many words.

Just think of me - I have what is basically the same tractor that I bought in 2007. Each and every time I fire it up I appreciate it. For me a lot of that comes with struggling most of my life and to have an awesome machine like that that is paid for is really something special. Hopefully you will get there also.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That ain't going to happen. Hence the bigger tractor. View attachment 727047

I've uttered those same words. View attachment 727048
If someone needs a bigger tractor I can see it. But the problems are real with the emissions and electronic engines
I drove a 1999 tractor for years. It had 1.5 million miles on it when they took it away and gave me a 2014. It got towed in twice both due to electronic sensors failing. The 2014 has been towed in 7 times since I got it in 2017. All electronic or emissions. One time was last week. And as of now it has 400,000 miles on it. The one box muffler cost 11,000 dollars to replace. If a 2025 or smaller will work that's the way to go. And again they set the pressure on the low end of the specs. Turning it up greatly increased mine. With loaded rear tires it needs the ballast box or an implement on it before the hydraulics give up now. My main needs are fork lift capacity. I wasn't happy with it until I set the pressure at max spec. Mine was 70 pounds below spec to start with. It is good enough now. I suggest a gauge and adjustment within spec or get the dealer to do it. I mentioned it to my dealer and they said they would have done it for free if I brought it to them. But that's OK because the gauge didn't cost much and if it starts feel weak it is real easy to hook it up and be sure it's right.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This has been an exercise in getting yourself to re-appreciate your tractor in so many words.

Just think of me - I have what is basically the same tractor that I bought in 2007. Each and every time I fire it up I appreciate it. For me a lot of that comes with struggling most of my life and to have an awesome machine like that that is paid for is really something special. Hopefully you will get there also.
I had an old grey market Mitsubishi for over 20 years. It was always paid for. It would lift as much as this new one maybe more. The limit on it was the rear tires coming off the ground. But parts are getting harder to find and I am getting older and want power steering. It was too light to push snow when we got a big storm last year. So I decided to go for a new one. But it is my last one. And now I have a backhoe which is nice. But I am glad it comes off easy. I would not have gotten that option if it didn't. But I agree with your sentiment that paid off and long ownership is good.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
I had an old grey market Mitsubishi for over 20 years. It was always paid for. It would lift as much as this new one maybe more. The limit on it was the rear tires coming off the ground. But parts are getting harder to find and I am getting older and want power steering. It was too light to push snow when we got a big storm last year. So I decided to go for a new one. But it is my last one. And now I have a backhoe which is nice. But I am glad it comes off easy. I would not have gotten that option if it didn't. But I agree with your sentiment that paid off and long ownership is good.

I see your points.

I’ve had a small mowing business since around 1975. I’ll never forget when I got my first tractor with power steering which was a used 420.

As I’ve said a few times, my 2520 seems to be the perfect tractor for my property. But you mentioned a backhoe.....I’ve lived here for over 25 years without one. But I can see quite a few uses for one now that I am retired and have time for more projects. Finding a 46 backhoe nowadays proves a bit difficult. Even so I have a hard time justifying the $5k+ cost.

I see so many people - mostly in the 1 series threads - where people trade in a 1 or 2 year old tractor for the same thing to gain a backhoe. For me that would mean a new 2032r or 2038r. When I look at the prices online (no dealers around here) I quickly squash that idea.

I’m actually thinking of a used mini excavator instead. My thinking is that once I get the projects I have in mind done I really wouldn’t need it much more. A mini excavator would be much easier to sell and retrieve some of my cost vs. spending the money on a dedicated backhoe for my present tractor.

It’s been almost 13 years with my 2520. Only maintenance items in that time like battery and front tires. I just can’t part with it now.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
This is a great discussion for those looking to buy a tractor.
It points to many very important considerations.
Many of us certainly could get by with a smaller tractor, or a bigger one, but a person has to know what their NEEDS are first, then add the wants.
Heck, I could do, and did, everything I do now with a 318 and a cart. Sometimes, well, most times the few years before I bought the 2025, it was backbreaking work.
My tractor simply serves as a helper for my own work, and Im not hauling bales, lifting anything that cant be made slightly smaller, or running PTO equipment that might be marginal in the power department.
For me, the 2025R is perfect.
Are there times I wish I had a bit more lift capacity? Sure, but when I was running an 855 Deere crawler loader, I had the same thing at times....although it was fairly rare, because that thing was a monster.

The other consideration for some of us is time. Most of us probably fit here really, as even those who need the higher lift capacity, PTO hp, etc, can still benefit from not being at the lower limit of their tractor constantly.
I can cut down and clean up a very large tree in a day, by myself. Before, it would take almost a week, and by the end of the week, Id be so tired from it and regular job, that Id need some down time. Now I dont. That leaves me free to do other things.

Of course there is always the "I WANT" part of it too, and that can factor in heavily for some.

5101 - 5120 of 5240 Posts