Green Tractor Talk banner

6621 - 6640 of 6691 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I have to admit, it unnerved me quite a bit. Had been getting good traction all day. Came out of nowhere. Come to find that water off the road above had been draining down the grass hill. Soon as the tractor hit it, there we went.

·
Registered
12,610 Posts
Glad you ok. Allot of mass once it gets sliding. I slid my 2305 on the ice last winter and I remember the uh oh and helpless feeling. I scraped my heavy hitch logo on a tree but stayed upright. That is the big thing I know you hit a fence but if something just stops the tires and you are sliding roll over can be a very bad end result.
That is why I now use chains for plowing snow. I thought that I was going over, but didn't.

Reactions: PJR832 and Yank

·
Administrator
19,014 Posts
Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
211 Posts
Never asked, does it matter?
I have read and thought about mounting it the other way but I have had this set up before and very little water gets into the gears. I store and use my tractor in the cold so it doesn't go through any freeze thaw cycles and when it does there are just a few drops of water and they seem to dry more so than drip into the gear. I didn't look where it was made but it was $35 shipped to my house so likely china. I am still thinking about how to mount the switch in the cup holder....

Reactions: bfloyd4445

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have to admit, it unnerved me quite a bit. Had been getting good traction all day. Came out of nowhere. Come to find that water off the road above had been draining down the grass hill. Soon as the tractor hit it, there we went.
I grooved the turf tires on my zero turn and it greatly improved sidehill traction. Might work on r4s if you use the right pattern.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I assume your talking about the actuator. I am sure some are but many are made in Marengo, IL. at Thompson linear.
Thanks. Good to know (y)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
No pics, but not a good day. Mowing hillside with rear mower on the 2038. Tractor slid down into the fence. Couldn’t go forward or backwards. Had to get the truck up to top of the hill. Chained to the pull bar and slid the rear up the hill a foot or so. Chained to the front weight bracket and did the same. Tractor was fine, pride was damaged. It all worked out.
Not likeing the incident but likeing the fact no danage except to the operators pride.:)

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
hey, not many can say they went skiing on a tractor.....I take it you were going across the slope so you were lucky there wasn't a hole under the surface that sank in when you hit it which would have turned you over or did you manage to get her pointed down hill asap? My neighbor irrigates 24/7 and some of the water travels underground a few inches causeing soft spots that have almost got me more than once. Don't know why he does that as the water goes right back into the creek he pumps out of a waste of money

Reactions: mark02tj and Yank

·
Registered
10,759 Posts
I moved my outdoor pallet racking near its final position.

(No there won’t be any real weight on the upper shelf) it will just be covered outside storage, attachments and walk begin blowers under the shelf, hoods and little engines on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
This is also what I did in my shop today. Trying to figure out a way to get my seldom used air over hydraulic lift table up on my mezzanine. The 220r loader barely gets the forks high enough to unload stuff. The lift table is 600lbs, so no dragging it uphill off the forks at an angle onto the mezzanine.

Then I remembered an episode of TTWT. So I set the table on my welding table and flipped my forks to gain the little height I needed. It's a bit sketchy because you lose the back rest that stops things from coming back and landing on your head. I clamped a 2x4 to the forks to at least slow that process down. :LOL:

It worked like a charm and now the seldom used table is tucked away till next time.

BTW it's 8' to the mezzanine floor.

PXL_20201010_173936541.jpg

PXL_20201010_175334628~2.jpg

PXL_20201010_175448415.jpg

PXL_20201010_175818250.jpg

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Brought in the first load of wood. It was only in the mid 70s so it felt odd but cooler air coming.

Then I vacuumed the lawn. It was so nice out I had to have a deck beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only one?...alcohol kills covids you know

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
This is also what I did in my shop today. Trying to figure out a way to get my seldom used air over hydraulic lift table up on my mezzanine. The 220r loader barely gets the forks high enough to unload stuff. The lift table is 600lbs, so no dragging it uphill off the forks at an angle onto the mezzanine.

Then I remembered an episode of TTWT. So I set the table on my welding table and flipped my forks to gain the little height I needed. It's a bit sketchy because you lose the back rest that stops things from coming back and landing on your head. I clamped a 2x4 to the forks to at least slow that process down. :LOL:

It worked like a charm and now the seldom used table is tucked away till next time.

View attachment 757205

View attachment 757210

View attachment 757206

View attachment 757207
Wow! I would have never thought of that. Thanks for the idea and pix.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Wow! I would have never thought of that. Thanks for the idea and pix.
I will say that the ability to see the forks is great when flipped!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I will say that the ability to see the forks is great when flipped!
Yes. I see a need for a front and back camera.

·
Administrator
19,014 Posts
The first and second time I did the "fork upside down" thing was a bit unnerving, but I do it all the time now.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Few glasses of bourbon followed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well you must be carful here. Remember if the dosage isn't large enough or taken on time you may cause it to mutate into an alcohol resistant form requiring the use of Scotch or good old 190 proof shine. Never liked scotch till i was in Scotland visiting an uncle and many of the local distillers were his friends. One night bored i went into his pub downstairs for a pint but starting tasdting Whisky, Wow! That private reserve stuff reserved for friends by the distillers is in a whole different world and hooked me. I stayed in bed drunk for two days after a couple of hours taste testing. Took that long to sober up. So good and the handover wasn't , i just stayed frunk in bed so no one would notice untill it wore off. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts

I am jealous. I have about 8' to my sheet rocked ceiling and there are beams that come down to 7' or so. If I don't fold my rops I will hit the lights hanging off the beams. I don't even have enough height to stack my flail mower above my snow blower without removing the snow blower chute.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well you must be carful here. Remember if the dosage isn't large enough or taken on time you may cause it to mutate into an alcohol resistant form requiring the use of Scotch or good old 190 proof shine. Never liked scotch till i was in Scotland visiting an uncle and many of the local distillers were his friends. One night bored i went into his pub downstairs for a pint but starting tasdting Whisky, Wow! That private reserve stuff reserved for friends by the distillers is in a whole different world and hooked me. I stayed in bed drunk for two days after a couple of hours taste testing. Took that long to sober up. So good and the handover wasn't , i just stayed frunk in bed so no one would notice untill it wore off. :)
I got a tour of the Glenfiddich distillery once. At the conclusion you got an 8oz water glass full to sample, with a free refill. Shame I was the driver, I could only have the first glass.

6621 - 6640 of 6691 Posts