Green Tractor Talk banner

6741 - 6760 of 6790 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
The truth is these itty bitty tractors are turning into what they called, a jack of all trades, in the old days.
The full quote is "The jack of all trades but the master of none".
I've been living that one all my life.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
We’re from WV originally. We just keep them hooked up on the front porch!!!!
Figured i’d beat you guys to the punch!!!
The full quote is "The jack of all trades but the master of none".
I've been living that one all my life.
Sorry to here that I'm still living my life. :)

·
Premium Member
14,665 Posts
Changed the engine oil and filter today, book says 200 hrs, I'm at 177 and it's warmer now than it will likely be when I surpass 200. I did put 0W40 in it, otherwise I did nothing else with it today.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sorry to here that I'm still living my life. :)
Why sorry? It's when you know everything that you are done. I just have a lot of variety on the way.
I did have one trade I was close to master at. I taught whatever you needed to know for just about any radar system from a practical standpoint. Engineers used to attend my classes to find out how their stuff really works. After 45 years bopping about the world it was time for a new hobby.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Why sorry? It's when you know everything that you are done. I just have a lot of variety on the way.
I did have one trade I was close to master at. I taught whatever you needed to know for just about any radar system from a practical standpoint. Engineers used to attend my classes to find out how their stuff really works. After 45 years bopping about the world it was time for a new hobby.
I need a radar for my little 18.5 foot boat for the fog. There are so many choices out there. I havent used the boat in two years so no hurry. I'll bet you got tired of traveling? I know I did.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
726 Posts
They laid me off again and 8 months later I turned 60 and said to heck with it. Then 5 more trips to Iraq. Finally said I was done.
Boat radars, I remember a bit about the theory on those but never really messed with them. I usually played with the big ones. My first radars were 15 years older than I was, and I just kept muddling on then went to the bleeding edge of new ones. I forgot a lot in the last few years. Some of my classes started with "this is an electron" and went through most everything except designing new ones. Then I would forget it all because the next one was different and the subjects were different. I seldom taught the same class twice, even while in the USAF. I used to have fun with a lunch class I made up. It introduced what a radar is all about to non-technical folks that worked around them. I called it "See Spot Run", a radar survey/primer with zero math. Last time I looked at boat radars. I miss the work, not the place.

·
Premium Member
14,665 Posts
Oh, almost forgot, I put my R1 fronts back on. Anyone want a set of very slightly used absolutely worthless R4's let me know.

·
Administrator
19,251 Posts
Oh, almost forgot, I put my R1 fronts back on. Anyone want a set of very slightly used absolutely worthless R4's let me know.
Nice sales pitch 😁

·
Premium Member
14,665 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
They laid me off again and 8 months later I turned 60 and said to heck with it. Then 5 more trips to Iraq. Finally said I was done.
Boat radars, I remember a bit about the theory on those but never really messed with them. I usually played with the big ones. My first radars were 15 years older than I was, and I just kept muddling on then went to the bleeding edge of new ones. I forgot a lot in the last few years. Some of my classes started with "this is an electron" and went through most everything except designing new ones. Then I would forget it all because the next one was different and the subjects were different. I seldom taught the same class twice, even while in the USAF. I used to have fun with a lunch class I made up. It introduced what a radar is all about to non-technical folks that worked around them. I called it "See Spot Run", a radar survey/primer with zero math. Last time I looked at boat radars. I miss the work, not the place.
Sound like you were very busy. Funny you should say you would forget the old stuff and move on cause i use to do that. I had a 4.0 average through college and noticed that when i was done with a class it became a blank. What i did learn was a quick review would bring it all back. I think that is a mechanism our brains use to maintain focus an release more mental power to concentrate on the task at hand

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sound like you were very busy. Funny you should say you would forget the old stuff and move on cause i use to do that. I had a 4.0 average through college and noticed that when i was done with a class it became a blank. What i did learn was a quick review would bring it all back. I think that is a mechanism our brains use to maintain focus an release more mental power to concentrate on the task at hand
Never went to college. I mostly taught myself. I remember one night I was reading a book and it finally made sense. It took hours for me to get to sleep I was so excited. The book was Calculus Made Simple. I learned early that the best way to learn something was to teach someone else. It made you really think about the subject. I was a non-traditional teacher as well. We used to do all kinds of weird things to drive home the point. They usually worked.

I remember once I got off a plane and couldn't remember where I was going. What I was to teach was determined by where I was. I had to look around the airport to see what kind of money they used for a clue. I decided I was on the road too much at that point. Still, I have to admit my life was interesting if nothing else. Retirement let me see what it was like being home nights and weekends. I like it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
For me one of the frustrations putting on the front snow blower is that the forks have to come off first. Now, how do I move the blower pallet back to storage, and get it free in the spring. Guess I need a second machine after all. Or do they make add-on forks for the blower? They seem to make everything else. Wait, I vaguely remember something about 3 point forks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
For me one of the frustrations putting on the front snow blower is that the forks have to come off first. Now, how do I move the blower pallet back to storage, and get it free in the spring. Guess I need a second machine after all. Or do they make add-on forks for the blower? They seem to make everything else. Wait, I vaguely remember something about 3 point forks.
3 point forks don't lift very high. Also they work best with a hydraulic or electric tilt on the 3 point. They don't stay level going up and down. When i get to someones house with a residential delivery and they have bucket forks or 3 point forks I take the pallet off with the lift gate and let them play with it from there. I have had all kinds of problems with people using bucket forks and 3 point forks don't go high enough to reach a semi trailer. I once had a pallet for a guy with a 3 point fork set up and I did not have a lift gate. He didn't realize they would not go high enough. But he had a trailer that hauls the tractor. I suggested he put it on that and he was able to get the forks in the pallet. But the trailer sank from the weight so he had to manually tilt the 3 point until the pallet was off the deck and I pulled out from under it.

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Used the 2025R to bring the snow blade for PK up to the house from the back shed, then the loader mounted snow blade for the 2025R. Mounted the blade on PK & rearranged the tractors in the sheds for easier access to what I'll need in the winter.

I brought the walk behind snow thrower to the garage with the Gator yesterday evening. Then the thatcher up from the back shed to the garage. It's set up for the 314 I used to have, need to put the mounting frame for the X580 on it now.

Also made a few trips around the yard with Cubby while I had it out!

·
Registered
726 Posts
3 point forks don't lift very high. Also they work best with a hydraulic or electric tilt on the 3 point. They don't stay level going up and down. When i get to someones house with a residential delivery and they have bucket forks or 3 point forks I take the pallet off with the lift gate and let them play with it from there. I have had all kinds of problems with people using bucket forks and 3 point forks don't go high enough to reach a semi trailer. I once had a pallet for a guy with a 3 point fork set up and I did not have a lift gate. He didn't realize they would not go high enough. But he had a trailer that hauls the tractor. I suggested he put it on that and he was able to get the forks in the pallet. But the trailer sank from the weight so he had to manually tilt the 3 point until the pallet was off the deck and I pulled out from under it.
I was just thinking about moving an empty pallet, not high nor far. I had to add 2x12 extensions to mount the snow blower on the pallet and it gets a bit heavy for me to lug about on my own. Did the same for my tiller and rake, but when dealing with those I have the FEL on the front instead of the snow blower. My current storage spaces are less than ideal to work with.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
574 Posts
I got it a new post hole digger from TSC. I put that together and drilled a test hole then took it off and put the quick hitch back on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Been working on my Jeep CJ-7 Renegade that was involved in an accident back in August and I just now got it down to the frame that was bent. Hauling it onto my trailer to take to the restoration shop tomorrow morning for straightening.

View attachment 759203
Some assembly required.

6741 - 6760 of 6790 Posts